5$ workaround, to make 99% of all headsets/chat work on PS4.

Tutorials, How-tos and FAQs for the Titan One device.

5$ workaround, to make 99% of all headsets/chat work on PS4.

Postby tOwely » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:00 pm

So, do you have a awesome pair of headphones/mic, gaming headset or headset laying around that you spent a lot of cash on, just to notice that it won't work with your Titan One on a PS4? (This may also work on Xbox One, but I need help confirming it)
Want to fix it? :)

Well I've found out a 5$ fix to make it all work, with out having to connect that pesky audio cable to your controller.

What you need is one if these badboys:

Its a USB sound card that is "Plug and play", so it needs no external drivers.
Now I've tried with these two, but any simple USB sound card that have a "audio in" and a "audio out" or one with a combined port of both IN/OUT audio.

Now its impossible for me to try out all of these adapters on the market, so I can't guarantee all of them will work, but the chance that they do is pretty huge. Just make sure its Plug and Play, and its a similar product to what I've posted.
I also know of a third adapter that works for sure and that is the iLUV adapter.

Now, depending on what kind of headset you have, you may need some other adapters such as:

It really depends on how your headset looks, and how the USB adapter looks.

For example I'm using a pair of "Monster Turbine Pro Gold" earphones with mic.
And they have a standard "mobile headset plug", so for the KONIG USB sound card, I need to split that plug in two 2 cables with a splitter, and I also need an extension cable. (That is made for a mobile headset plug, be sure to get this because a normal stereo one won't work) And last but not least I need a USB hub or short USB extension cable, because the KONIG USB card is a tiny bit to thick to fit in the PS4.

If I how ever use the other USB sound card called GOOBAY, I only need the extension cable, since it has a single "mobile headset plug", and its thin enough to fit the PS4.

So depending on your specific situation you may need some other adapters to make it work, but many headsets already have 2 cables from the beginning (Mic and Sound), and all you need then is a USB sound card.
If you have a pair of headphones that require USB power, and don't work on their own when connected to the PS4, just connect the USB cable to a USB power source or hub, and the audio cables to the USB sound card, and you should be fine.

There are many of these USB sound cards to choose from, I only payed 5$ for the KONIG USB card, the GOOBAY cost a few bucks more.

But you can even find cheaper ones.
Worth noting is that the quality of the products may vary.
(I wouldn't recommend the KONIG one, that comes in many different names. It has quite poor quality. But for 1.75$ on Amazon, what do you expect? :D)

I have NO IDEA if this works for Xbox ONE also, but its possible it does.
So if some one could help out trying it, please do so and tell us your experience in this thread.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+sound+card

(Proof of the mic picking up sound, with the Titanone connected.)
tOwely
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: 5$ workaround, to make 99% of all headsets/chat work on

Postby J2Kbr » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Wow ... that is really awesome!! thanks a lot for sharing!! And congratulations for the creativity in discovery this!! :D
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Stotty82 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:36 pm

So I have a turtle beach px51. The game sound is transmitted wireless to the headset but I still need to connect the headset to the control for chat ability. The wire supplied with the headset for this purpose has a standard size connector that fits into the control and the end that connects to the headset itself is the same type but smaller.
Could you tell me please how I could make your work around work for my headset. Thanks.
Stotty82
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby tOwely » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Stotty82 wrote:So I have a turtle beach px51. The game sound is transmitted wireless to the headset but I still need to connect the headset to the control for chat ability. The wire supplied with the headset for this purpose has a standard size connector that fits into the control and the end that connects to the headset itself is the same type but smaller.
Could you tell me please how I could make your work around work for my headset. Thanks.

So in your case the way i guess you can solve it, is to connect that chat cable to the sound card instead.
Try it out first with the short one, and if it works just buy a longer one.

You also depending on what soundcard you buy, need a splitter for that chat cable.
And when i say splitter i mean a cable that separates chat and sound in to two cables, and then you connect that mic cable to the chat port on the USB sound card.

I guess you have to change the audio settings on your ps4 to use "Chat audio" on earphones, the px51 should get the sound anyway from the optical port. So the chat sound will go trough there.

If you give me a while i can try it out for you, i have a pair of Turtle beach PX4 here, that im returning. And they use the same connections as the PX51.
tOwely
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby tOwely » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:44 pm

So good news.
It works :)

You just connect your headphones wirelesly to the reciver like you do for sound.

Then if you have a USB sound card that have 2 ports, one for in and one for out. You need a splitter. That you connect to those two ports, (you can connect Chat only, since you wont use the audio part of the splitter) and to the splitter you connect your extension cable.
If you have a USB sound card with just 1 port, that recives both sound and chat you dont need a splitter.

In both cases you need an extension cable that is made for headsets, this is VERY inportant, because a normal extension cable is only for the sound, and not for chat. So it wont work.

On the PS4 you go in to settings and set the headset options to "chat only".

And then you are good to go.

The issue ofc is that you wont have a wireless headset anymore, you need a cable.
But at least it is a fix.
tOwely
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Stotty82 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Thanks for the advice mate. Would it be an option to still receive game audio wireless via the optical and have a singal output USB sound card connected straight into the headset?
What extension cable and sound card would you recommend? Any Amazon links.
Stotty82
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby tOwely » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Stotty82 wrote:Thanks for the advice mate. Would it be an option to still receive game audio wireless via the optical and have a singal output USB sound card connected straight into the headset?
What extension cable and sound card would you recommend? Any Amazon links.

Yeah thats what ive been talking about, using the optical for your sound. But the USB soundcard for the chat only in your case.
Im doing the same thing, but i got my headphones connected to my Receiver.

Ive only tried two, so i really cant. But there are some diffrences in the quality, like i said in the first post.
So just read the reviews, and see if you can find one that suits your needs.

The extension cable i talk about is one of this sort, you can choose any with the same connector.
Its a 4pole extension cable
http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-3-5mm- ... sion+cable

And you also need a splitter if the sound card you get a card that have two ports instead of one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Estone-Female-S ... t+splitter
tOwely
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Stotty82 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Ok, i've just purchased the above two linked items, thanks for that.

Would this sound card work ok? http://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Trading%C2%A ... ACY33SJ7EZ

Or would this be better? http://www.amazon.co.uk/GOOBAY-SCHEDA-A ... +soundcard

Thanks for all this by the way.
Stotty82
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby tOwely » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:43 pm

Stotty82 wrote:Ok, i've just purchased the above two linked items, thanks for that.

Would this sound card work ok? http://www.amazon.co.uk/PC-Trading%C2%A ... ACY33SJ7EZ

Or would this be better? http://www.amazon.co.uk/GOOBAY-SCHEDA-A ... +soundcard

Thanks for all this by the way.

Ok, just make sure that the 2m extension cable is long enough for you.

The first card is the same i bought, but with a different branding only.
What i noticed was that the quality is really low.
But what do one expect for that price really :)

The second one is the one im using, it works fine for me.

But really i bought the two cheapest USB soundcards i could find in my area, just to try out if it worked, and if the PS4 would accept it as a device.

But i think ill probably return both of them, and get a brand product instead.
The second one seem to be higher quality tho for sure, and with that one you dont need a splitter.

So get what ever you want to spend your money on really, if you want one of the two i tested get one of those.
Or get a higher quality one and it will probably last you longer, and you'll probably have a better experience.

Just dont get a over complicated model with more things then just audio out/in.
Because the ones with optical in/out and all the other functions some of them come with, because i dont know if they work yet. So just keep to the more simple sound cards for now, and you should be fine.
Or wait untill ive tried one out.

Im going to try out a more complicated one i think, and see if it works. Im thinking of getting a ASUS Xonar U3 this week.
Its about 30$, but has a great quality for both sound and chat.
It has some more ports then the basic ones ive tried so far.
So im not sure it will work, but i hope it does. I'll get back when i've tried it out.
tOwely
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Stotty82 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:29 pm

Not sure if the ASUS will work as it has a separate install disc.

I ended up buying these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully this will work

I also decided to buy this due to lack of USB ports:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KELUX-PS4-USB-E ... s4+USB+hub
Stotty82
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Next

Return to Tutorials and FAQs