Rainbow Six Siege XIM + T2 + Sony Nav + G502 - my script!

Forum to discuss the scripts, configs and connection of XIM with the Titan devices.

Moderator: antithesis

Rainbow Six Siege XIM + T2 + Sony Nav + G502 - my script!

Postby pablosscripts » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:59 pm

NOTE: This script is no longer supported on T1. The following information is purely about my new T2 script.

************************************************************************************************************************************

While this fully supports keyboards now, this script was originally designed for the Playstation Navigation controller and a Logitech G502 mouse. One of the biggest challenges of using this setup is that it only contains about 8-10 buttons that you can comfortably reach in the heat of the action - "comfortably" being the key word. To work around this limited button count, you will notice that I have regularly doubled up on buttons, used modifier keys, and in general I have made very creative use of the little that I have to work with - for example, I have this feature called "Double Up" that allows you to use Crouch for leaning left (much like how Melee is also used to lean right). So when you see the screenshots of my button mappings, they may look a bit unusual at first but it will all make sense once you've tried them for a while. I must emphasize that a lot of this setup has been designed to work well across the many menus and features. This is a complex game with a vast number of control scenarios, so don't just run around for a brief moment to test them - be sure to try things like vaulting, rappelling, navigating the various menus, and also test this for a number of different weapons and gadgets before you decide whether this works for you or not. If there's an unusual button mapping, don't be too quick to conclude "it still makes no sense", because it's probably designed for a menu or a scenario that you haven't even thought of. So when you first try it, I encourage you not to change any of the recommended button mappings, no matter how unusual they look at first.

Being forced to work within such limits forced me to be creative and resourceful. This meant that when it came time to doing the keyboard port of this script, it was not only easy, but I found that I ended up making improvements that I otherwise wouldn't have thought of if I had started designing this script for keyboard users from the beginning.

This is the product of nearly 2,000 hours of play testing, and over 2 years of scripting and fine tuning. I am extremely happy with the results and I hope you will be too.

Here's a brief demo video of what it can do:

And here's a link to my script documentation, which provides setup information, controls and other instructions:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5309
Last edited by pablosscripts on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:43 am, edited 39 times in total.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Rainbow Six Siege XIM4 + T1 + Sony Nav + G502 - my scrip

Postby UK_Wildcats » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Great work. I played around briefly with the G502, G13 and Sony nav controllers and Maxaim DI to see if it was something that I would enjoy playing on PS4 over controller. Yes, the biggest issue is trying to decide on the button layouts to use on the various mouse options.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:17 am

Awesome tutorial!! :) going stick this post!! :) Thanks pablogroup
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:32 am

UK_Wildcats_Fans wrote:Great work. I played around briefly with the G502, G13 and Sony nav controllers and Maxaim DI to see if it was something that I would enjoy playing on PS4 over controller. Yes, the biggest issue is trying to decide on the button layouts to use on the various mouse options.

Thanks! I spent an incredible amount of time thinking about and refining the controls. I think about it every day - while in the shower, on the way to work, I come home, I play test it, refine, refine, and refine. I'm obsessed. What I have now works so well I couldn't be happier!
Last edited by pablosscripts on Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby pablosscripts » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:32 am

J2Kbr wrote:Awesome tutorial!! :) going stick this post!! :) Thanks pablogroup

Thank you, my first sticky!

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby jayjack » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Sooooo Pablogroup,

Do you also play Battlefield 4?
Haha

I might have to start playing R6S just to try out your excellent work.
jayjack
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:42 am

I've just updated this to version 2.0. This has taken me several more weeks of coding and testing, but it has been worth it!

Change notes:

Huge improvements overall, but it mainly involves a massive overhaul to the leaning system: leaning just wasn't as smooth as I wanted it to be. If you accidentally pressed the sprint button before ADS'ing (Aiming Down Sights), it would be really jarring. The timing had to be perfect - you had to click ADS before clicking the sprint button. I wanted to make this more forgiving, so now with this script, it doesn't matter if you click the sprint button before OR after you ADS.

Secondly, there is a bug in the game that prevents you from leaning if you click Melee or Sprint too quickly. I fixed this by forcing a wait time on both the Melee and Sprint buttons, regardless of how briefly they were pressed. Overall, leaning feels much, much more robust and reliable now.*

*To experience this leaning bug for yourself, try this: press the ADS button, and then VERY quickly tap L3 or R3. Notice that it just doesn't work. It was so satisfying fixing this bug by myself...! You wouldn't believe how long it took me to find this bug. Something "felt" wrong, but you can't fix a problem unless you can articulate it. I spent hours messing about in custom games trying to figure out why leaning wasn't always reliable and I finally cracked it. I visit the Siege forums like 10 times a day and I've never seen anyone mention this so I believe I am the first to find it, and certainly the first one to fix it:)

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby pablosscripts » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:08 am

I'd just like to add, for anyone attempting to write a Siege script in the future - it's hard, like really really hard.

This game has such a complex control system that you need to test every single feature across the board. There have been plenty of times that I've added something seemingly small and simple and it has worked well for hours, and then I learn that it has caused an issue elsewhere that I would have never expected. Every change you make or feature you introduce, you need to test it against leaning, leaning while prone, while rappelling, while rappelling upside down, while sprinting, while using a gadget...then every type of gadget (some are hold gadgets, some are toggle, some are single use). Oh. My. God.

And then you think you have everything nailed, only to realize it's caused an issue navigating a menu. So you fix it. Then you realize it causes an issue in another type of menu. I've never worked on a game this complex before. The amount of testing I put into this has been incredible.

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby bonefisher » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:17 am

Have you checked my script? http://www.consoletuner.com/gpclib/?s=1118
bonefisher
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby bonefisher » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:20 am

pablogroup wrote:I'd just like to add, for anyone attempting to write a Siege script in the future - it's hard, like really really hard.

This game has such a complex control system that you need to test every single feature across the board. There have been plenty of times that I've added something seemingly small and simple and it has worked well for hours, and then I learn that it has caused an issue elsewhere that I would have never expected. Every change you make or feature you introduce, you need to test it against leaning, leaning while prone, while rappelling, while rappelling upside down, while sprinting, while using a gadget...then every type of gadget (some are hold gadgets, some are toggle, some are single use). Oh. My. God.

And then you think you have everything nailed, only to realize it's caused an issue navigating a menu. So you fix it. Then you realize it causes an issue in another type of menu. I've never worked on a game this complex before. The amount of testing I put into this has been incredible.

Yes I agree in being a pain in the butt! I do need to go through this again to finish the game pack the right way. Hopefully when I get more time I'll look at this pain in the butt game. lol!
bonefisher
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to XIM Apex, XIM4, XIM Edge with Titan devices