Elite Dangerous Throttle w/ a Single Trigger?

Any discussion that is not related to other forums goes here.

Elite Dangerous Throttle w/ a Single Trigger?

Postby DeviateSquirrel » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 am

For those who play Elite Dangerous, have you been able to control a thrust axis or throttle (both directions) with a single trigger or half a joystick push? I know we can use one trigger/ half-axis for forward and a separate one for reverse.

I’m trying to get all 6 axes with analog control. We have 5 currently; each joystick gives 2, and the triggers together give the 5th.

I thought to take two analog inputs from my controllers of choice (dual joysticks) and put one on L2 and one on L3. In gTuner I can get the full range from -100 to +100 but Elite Dangerous seems to be ignoring the sign. It’s more than just the absolute value, however. When I move the joystick so it’s at, say, -10 Elite Dangerous acts like it’s set at +90... when at -90 Elite Dangerous acts like it’s at +10. If it was just the absolute value then I’d assume it’s not possible but with this odd behavior I’m wondering what might be happening and if I can do anything about it.

Might not be possible. Elite Dangerous might only allow for a trigger to control half the range.
DeviateSquirrel
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Elite Dangerous Throttle w/ a Single Trigger?

Postby DeviateSquirrel » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:42 pm

I took a different approach -- instead of trying to fit it all into a single axis, I combined 2 controls into a single axis. Roll and Yaw are now on the same axis with Roll being the dominate settings. When Yaw (on the joystick twist) exceeds the Roll value (on the stick X axis) the script turns on the setting to switch between roll and yaw (on HOLD) and then switches back when the Yaw is less than Roll. It's not quite as good as having them on completely separate axes but it's working well so far!
DeviateSquirrel
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Return to Off Topic Discussion