Which Headset? PS4

Any discussion that is not related to other forums goes here.

Which Headset? PS4

Postby Crunkstar » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:14 am

Hi Guys found some time these days (was extremely busy with my new job & family) and i'm looking for a new headset for my PS4 was using the rubbish one which is included on the PS4 for partys but they sucks lol anyone got the original from Sony? need some feedback they look very nice
Crunkstar
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Which Headset? PS4

Postby J2Kbr » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:51 pm

I have the Sony wireless 7.1 ... really like it, recommend.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Rod » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:53 pm

This can be a complicated question depending on just HOW good you want your audio to be ?

The Astro A40/A50's are very good straight out of the box, I don't really like the turtle beach offerings and I've tried a few including the 800's

However if money isn't an issue I would recommend getting the Astro Mixamp TR, Headphones of choice (I use AKG702's), separate Mic (I Like the Modmic) and a headphone amplifier (I use a garage 1217 starlight) to provide the needed power to run a set of cans properly. I appreciate most people wouldn't want to go to this expense though........

If you don't mind being wired in this sort of set-up gives awesome directional positioning and brings out every detail of the surrounding audio environment! I couldn't go without my set-up now I've got it to my liking.

Regards

Rod
Rod
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby UK_Wildcats » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:42 pm

I am an old guy that has been gaming for 40 years, and I have gone through my share of gaming headsets. I will share some of my experiences. Gaming headsets are designed specifically for gaming and not for the best overall sound quality. Several years ago, I was given some advice to look at true audiophile headsets. Head-fi.org are a VERY WELL KNOWN website for all things headsets. There are endless knowledge and very in-depth reviews.

There are many true audiophiles that will tell you to get a good audiophile headset with amp & mic and use it for gaming. It will give you better sound quality and sensitivity. An example would be Rod's setup using the AKG702 with amp.

I personally have the Creative X7 amp with Sennheiser Game One. The sound quality of Game One is great and I wanted a mic integrated into the headset. This is a more expensive setup. I also have my laptop connected to the X7 so I can play movies quieting on my headset or via speakers connected to X7.

The right headset for you will depend on your specific needs.

Head-fi.org has a great buying guide which has a specific section for
http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-introduction
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby bonefisher » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:26 pm

Ping pong was my game too. lol!
bonefisher
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby UK_Wildcats » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:59 pm

I start with the pong game. In fact, I wrote a pong game in PASCAL for a high school project.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby bonefisher » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:09 pm

UK_Wildcats_Fans wrote:I start with the pong game. In fact, I wrote a pong game in PASCAL for a high school project.

Same game I just had called it ping pong but yes it is the first game out pong that I played as a youngster.
bonefisher
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Rod » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:12 am

Great write up there Wildcats, seems you and I started looking for headphone info in the same place. Head-fi.org has a tremendous amount of info there! I choose to keep the dac in my case through Mixamp TR and Amp(garage1217) separate, for me this meant more options In the future if I wanted to change/up grade any piece of my kit.
I also like the mixamp in a gaming environment as it has a crossfade between game and chat right on the front which is hugely useful as I pretty much only play multiplayer. It wouldn't work for me in a home hi fi setup however.
Still think if someone wants a ready to go package off the shelf there isn't anything to touch the astro offerings, however if your prepared to do some leg work yourself as wildcats and myself have choose to your gaming audio experience can be taken to a whole new level and tuned exactly as the individual wishes. Ie the AKG702 headset I use is classed as a reference headset offering exacting reproduction of the sounds as the composer wrote. However most gamers would consider my headphones bass light, but the level of detail they provide means foot steps in COD or Destiny are easily heard and which direction there coming from too, the entire sound stage is huge and open making the environment much more engaging.
Rod
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby UK_Wildcats » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Thank you. If anyone is serious about researching headphones they will eventually head up at head-fi. It is an awesome site.

Astro does a great job with their headsets, mixamps and bundling. I have personally used several of their mixamps with various other headsets. I have also tried several of their headsets. I agree that they provide the best ready-to-go package with good sound quality.

I will never buy a Turtle Beach headset again. Their quality is in complete reverse - lower cost is higher quality and higher cost is low quality.

If you want to take your mixamp to the next level take a look at the Creative x7. It is awesome. See the head-fi review below.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756102/creative-sound-blaster-x7-detailed-review-impressions
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Rod » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:58 pm

Cheers wildcats I took a look over the review although I did look at purchasing the X7 at the beginning of the year(well as a Christmas present for me). I however couldn't justify it purely for gaming, the TR is however a big improvement over previous mixamp with no background noise at all in my setup . If I was to buy anything it would be a better amp. I keep getting the itch for a heed canamp, but enjoy rolling tubes which has stopped me from buying so far. It's all a tad over kill for my PS4 though. I am still surprised by how many people spend a fortune on the most powerful pc ever though and completely over look the sound card and audio side of things, bad sound ruins the experience for me.
Rod
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion