PSVR - do NOT buy! (for the asking price)

Any discussion that is not related to other forums goes here.

PSVR - do NOT buy! (for the asking price)

Postby antithesis » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:46 am

I picked up my PSVR pre-order today, got it all hooked up, played some games, watched a couple of videos, packed it back in the box and returned it to the shop within the space of two hours.

Remember when you were a kid and you sat WAAAYYY too close to the old CRT screen and you could see the pixels clear as day while everything else was washed out and muddy. That's PSVR.

Everything looks blurry and smudged and I need to pull the screen right up to the point where they're colliding with my glasses. I don't think wearing glasses is the problem, it'll look like crap for everyone - the resolution may be 1080p (960 x 1080 per eye), but it looks upscaled from 480p. The nose flaps are bloody annoying too and the headband is a sweat magnet.

Regular games and movies look awful in Cinema mode. VR's a slight improvement because you need to look around to see the otherwise equally blurry and smudged crap on-screen.

I went in expecting bottom of-the-pile VR and an overall mediocre experience. What Sony delivered is just plain bad. It's not due to a lack of good games available at launch, it's the underwhelming and thoroughly disappointing hardware to blame.

Day one buy. Day one return. If anyone's pre-ordered, cancel before you waste your money!

[UPDATE] I bought another PSVR headset early May 2017 second-hand for $400 AU (about $300 US), which I thought offered a better value proposition. This unit is far superior to the first, which I believed at the time to be faulty because it was just so bad, particularly when wearing glasses. Funny thing is I don't need glasses at all on the new one, which is odd because I do need them for general computing and gaming.

VR itself is impressive and very immersive, but it's still too expensive to see mainstream adoption for the quality of the experience you get in return. The screendoor effect persists, but doesn't bother me as much this time around, I reckon it was exacerbated by the glasses banging up against the lenses, which isn't a problem on this headset. The blurring, bleeding and smudging however has largely gone.

Much, much better than the first headset I bought, but you're still buying an expensive toy for a handful of mediocre games as its useless for everything else. That's fine, but it needs to be priced appropriately.
Last edited by antithesis on Wed May 17, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Re: PSVR - do NOT buy!

Postby OFC-Giorgio » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:19 am

What a bummer. I was looking forward to the PS VR but before buying I planned to first check it out with a demo in the store.

Unbelievable sad that you experienced a blurry view. Of course I assume you removed the film from the lens:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/ ... _there_is/

Reviews on GameSpot and IGN seemed pretty positive (but maybe they are sponsored by Sony)...
OFC-Giorgio
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby OFC-Giorgio » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:23 am

OFC-Giorgio
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby OFC-Giorgio » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:38 am

OFC-Giorgio
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby J2Kbr » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:05 pm

That is unfortunately, I was very hyped with PSVR.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby antithesis » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:53 pm

Yep, I removed the plastic peels from the lens and tweaked every possible setting, but it didn't change the simple fact that part of the screen looked somewhat focused, while others were blurred, bleeding, warped or smudged. I had the screen so close the lenses were butting up against my glasses, which are a pretty mild prescription, and it was still a mess.

The pixels are enormous at that distance with great big vertical and horizontal lines blazing across the screen while the white-hot pixels burnt a hole into the retina. It was seriously like trying to watch a 30 year old TV with your nose on the screen.

Not to mention PSVR is really Motion Control 2.0. That ended badly last time around and things have not improved in the interim.

Really disappointing outcome. Wait for 4K or even 8K VR to pack enough pixels in front of your face.
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OFC-Giorgio » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Maybe we should wait for Pong VR, Galaxian VR, Pacman VR or even the better pixel arts: Doom VR, DukeNukem3D VR :)
OFC-Giorgio
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby paname » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:05 am

antithesis wrote:Yep, I removed the plastic peels from the lens and tweaked every possible setting, but it didn't change the simple fact that part of the screen looked somewhat focused, while others were blurred, bleeding, warped or smudged. I had the screen so close the lenses were butting up against my glasses, which are a pretty mild prescription, and it was still a mess.

The pixels are enormous at that distance with great big vertical and horizontal lines blazing across the screen while the white-hot pixels burnt a hole into the retina. It was seriously like trying to watch a 30 year old TV with your nose on the screen.

Not to mention PSVR is really Motion Control 2.0. That ended badly last time around and things have not improved in the interim.

Really disappointing outcome. Wait for 4K or even 8K VR to pack enough pixels in front of your face.

did you calibrate for your eye distance ? the blurriness goes away after doing so.
paname
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby antithesis » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:08 am

paname wrote:did you calibrate for your eye distance ? the blurriness goes away after doing so.

Yes, I did. The blurriness in the middle subsides, but everything outside that small cone of focus is partially blurred, smudged, bleeding, rounded or warped. Overall image quality is sub-standard and looks nowhere near 1080p.

Honestly, it was like taking my glasses off while wearing glasses and made for an uncomfortable experience. Sony's telling furfees here, PSVR overall is either poor quality, or it's not glass-friendly.

Either way, I'm happy I returned it as PSVR seems to be Move 2.0 more than anything. I don't see it having legs and will wait it out for 4K VR, at a minimum.
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Titan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:14 pm

What we really need over here on PlayStation is good games with a heavy emphasis on replay-ability, not more hardware.
I never was anxious about PSVR due how dissapointed i have been with Sony since i got my ps4 in 2013. A few days ago they announced a price increase for PSN, like really? :x
Titan
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion