PSVR - do NOT buy! (for the asking price)

Any discussion that is not related to other forums goes here.

Re: PSVR - do NOT buy!

Postby The_Rabid_Taco » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:09 pm

Yep, used to be a great system. The network has gone down hill since they started charging for it. Go figure, give them more money and the product gets worse. I've started moving over to XBox as they don't seem to have a lot of the issues that are starting to become extremely prevalent on PS.
The_Rabid_Taco
Major
Major

Postby pablosscripts » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:45 am

Yeah lucky I cancelled my preorder. Sounds like rubbish. I'll wait for the tech to improve.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby MaViCtb » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:51 pm

IDK... I played Driveclub VR on it for a while and thought it was pretty good. Then again I didn't have unrealistic expectations... VR has a while to grow to match visual fidelity of looking at a large 1080p TV. I reckon it'd need to be 4k or even 6k resolution on a VR headset to match 1080p on a TV. That said... i didn't experience the blurriness you did and the pixelation was noticeable but not distracting to me. I would buy one at a $199 base price point $299 for the kit. I am waiting to try it on the PS Pro before making a decision though.
MaViCtb
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby antithesis » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:37 am

MaViCtb wrote:IDK... I played Driveclub VR on it for a while and thought it was pretty good. Then again I didn't have unrealistic expectations... VR has a while to grow to match visual fidelity of looking at a large 1080p TV. I reckon it'd need to be 4k or even 6k resolution on a VR headset to match 1080p on a TV. That said... i didn't experience the blurriness you did and the pixelation was noticeable but not distracting to me. I would buy one at a $199 base price point $299 for the kit. I am waiting to try it on the PS Pro before making a decision though.

Yeah, around $250 would be a more appropriate price-point.

Did you try Cinematic Mode? If not, I'd highly recommend you do so before dropping your coin on PSVR or give up on that "feature" altogether and stick to VR.
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby MaViCtb » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:21 pm

I didn't even try that as I don't think VR headsets are up to the standard needed to match modern TVs yet. The resolution needed is just not there. This for me is an acceptable trade off for VR gaming but not for media consumption. Point being its a useless feature for me. I would rather just sit close to my 4K TV and enjoy that experience.
MaViCtb
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby MaViCtb » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:34 pm

Also even the higher resolution VR headsets struggle for sufficient resolution good enough for media consumption. When they get up to 4k+ it may be good enough. You have to consider that the viewing distance on VR screens is about 2 inch. So you need more resolution to combat the viewing distance. 4k on a VR headset would be like being ver close to a large 720p tv, 6k a 1080p and 8k being a bit better than 1440p (if those were a thing).
MaViCtb
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby sonicboom » Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 pm

I had exactly the same problem but managed to fix mine and now I absolutely love it.. see this for simple psvr fixes http://vrreviewz.com/fix-blurry-image-playstation-vr-psvr-headset/
sonicboom
Private
Private

Postby antithesis » Wed May 17, 2017 9:43 pm

Funny this topic should come up again, I bought another PSVR a couple of weeks ago. It's vastly superior to the first headset I received, which I believed at the time to be faulty. Given the cost, I wasn't going to hang onto it when it just felt wrong from the get-go.

The problem for me was also the headset was very uncomfortable with glasses. I had to have the headset jammed right up against them to be close to usable. This new headset has more room so there's no glass-on-glass action going on. My guess is the eyepieces weren't set properly in the first headset. Even better...I don't need to wear glasses at all while using PSVR, which is something I can't say for general computing and gaming. The screendoor effect persists, but the overwhelming blurriness, bleeding and warping is gone.

When I picked up the first PSVR, it cost $550 AU + $90 AU for the camera. Fortunately, I already had a camera, so saved a few bucks, but I strongly felt that the price didn't justify the experience. I snagged the second headset for only $400 AU because it was a factory refurb being flogged off on eBay, so the price was more aligned to what I perceived to be good value.

At $400 AU second-hand (about $300 US), I still reckon it's about $50 too expensive for mainstream adoption, the game catalogue is meh and its useless for anything but VR, but the VR experience itself is impressive and very immersive.
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Re: PSVR - do NOT buy! (for the asking price)

Postby xXSkyWalkerXx_1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:03 pm

I have a PSVR too.
It has not the best graphic and it has much thing which should make better, BUT the gaming feels are great!
Play "Resident Evil 7" with VR - there you SCREAM!!! :D
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/xXSkyWalkerXx1
& my website: https://skymodz.com
xXSkyWalkerXx_1
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: PSVR - do NOT buy! (for the asking price)

Postby Prototype » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:06 am

I have a PSVR too, the V2. I got it for 220€ (about 250 USD) and for this price i find it very good. It's a good experience very immersive and the graphics are not so bad. Most of my friends wants one now! The next VR gen is promising!
Console tuner since my 1st controller.
Scripting, a game in the game.
Believe or dare, It's Titanic! :smile0517:
Prototype
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion