Dual VKB Gladiator Sticks for Elite Dangerous

Documentation, usage tips and configuration guides for Titan Two scripts and bytecodes published by the community users.

Dual VKB Gladiator Sticks for Elite Dangerous

Postby SirBrass » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:58 am

EDIT: 12/16/2020: I've completely reworked the script coding to more closely follow the work of users phillow and brazooka_uk. I could still wish Gtuner IV supported multiple remappings so long as they didn't apply to the same USB ports, though. Would've made this work LOTS easier.
<end edit>

GPC: https://www.consoletuner.com/greslib/?w1298
GIT: https://www.consoletuner.com/greslib/?w1299

EDIT: 12/17/2020
Reaching the final version of this script. Button modifiers have been adjusted to not interfere with left stick flight controls.

Attached is a set of proposed key bindings with the current version of this GPC/GIT (note, left stick center hat corresponds to PS4 face buttons in the appropriate places: up is triangle, down is cross, left is square, and right is circle):

Taken from the GPC's comment section:

Currently in evaluation. Published for posterity and for general evaluation
and constructive criticism by the community. Any suggestions for reducing bytecode
glut would be appreciated.

NOTE: Right Stick configured to USB-B (Input 2) for testing, as Input 3 is also
the programming port, and testing through Gtuner requires PC connection at
USB C, and remapping should not be assigned while this is in progress. After testing,
change RS port assignment variable to USB-C.

This script was developed for VKB Gladiator NXT Sticks in a dual stick (HOSAS)
setup, specifically with the Left stick being a Premium stick. This setup can use
either Premium or standard stick on the right stick.

In E:D Bindings, you will have to configure all axes differently. In this code,
due to the nature of the default stick setups by VKB, the sticks default to Left
thumb stick inputs into the T2. In order for axes inputs to not step on each other,
the assignments had to distinct from each other. Also, GPC2 language doesn't allow
multiple remap layouts even if they're assigned to different USB ports. Accordingly,
I bound left stick controls (assumed to be for translational axes of vertical, lateral,
and throttle) to L2/R2, L1/R1, and Right Stick Y respectively.

Right stick by default is x and y on Left thumb stick x and y, and twist Rz is
on the Right thumb stick y-axis. Bindings should be made accordingly.

Experimental stick response curves courtesy of J2Kbr.

Usage:
*Left stick plugged into USB-A.
*Right stick plugged into USB-C using the OTG cable provided with the Titan
Connection kit, or any other compatible OTG cable.

This script does not dictate how you bind your controls in Elite Dangerous, but
seeks to let you choose your own bindings. E:D allows a maximum of 32 discrete
buttons. However, as the DS4 does not have that many, the use of combos allows
that to be extended in this case. There are no combo repeats.

Also, assumed that user has verified that the analogue hat function is enabled
through VKB's software on the premium stick. Also, the analogue mini-hat axes are
on buttons 5 and 8 (R2 and L2 respectively). Left stick has these bound to Gyro,
and right stick has the POV set to discrete and the axes for the analogue POV
disabled so that it won't interfere with the X-axis on the left stick.

Once TM HOTAS 4 output profile is supported, much of the issues here will go away
due to the additional configurability available.

Buttons not visible to T2 are the 3 function buttons on the base, the rotary
encoders, the rapid fire trigger on the premium stick, and the POV hat push buttons.
Also, due to some kind of interference, use of the standard stick shaft switch is also inoperable.
Attachments
Elite Dangerous VKB HOSAS Input Table.xlsx
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Last edited by SirBrass on Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SirBrass
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Dual VKB Gladiator Sticks for Elite Dangerous

Postby SirBrass » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:58 am

The 2-button modifiers aren't working, but single button ones are. Also having issues with a single hat input that defaults to button 1 switching profiles on me.

Headlook isn't working either but I've got a possible workaround after plugging in my DS4 to the T2 while in Gtuner and looking at what's changing while I move the controller around.

Will upload new version tomorrow afternoon probably.
SirBrass
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:51 am

Thank you SirBrass for sharing this script with us. Appreciated.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby SirBrass » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:42 pm

Reworking is complete and I'm now off to test the ability to bind in game.
SirBrass
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby SirBrass » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:59 pm

Updated for the current edit after testing, and uploaded the Excel file I've been using to help me rework the bindings when necessary, as well as suggested E:D bindings with this setup. This should work with most "fighter stick" joysticks (very similar to CH Products' Fighter Stick, based on the F-16 control stick), which usually have an index, pinkie, and shaft buttons, along with the thumb button, POV hat, and 2 4-way hats on the face.
SirBrass
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby DeviateSquirrel » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:11 pm

This sounds awesome!
I haven’t bought the NXTs yet (I had planned to use my computer to play Elite Dangerous but it’s not up to the task) but if this would let me plug them into my PS4 (where I play now) that would be perfect.
How well does it work? Any additional issues you’ve noticed in the last month or so? Mainly looking for some assurances before I spend upwards of $500 on the sticks and the T2.
DeviateSquirrel
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby SirBrass » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:07 am

DeviateSquirrel wrote:This sounds awesome!
I haven’t bought the NXTs yet (I had planned to use my computer to play Elite Dangerous but it’s not up to the task) but if this would let me plug them into my PS4 (where I play now) that would be perfect.
How well does it work? Any additional issues you’ve noticed in the last month or so? Mainly looking for some assurances before I spend upwards of $500 on the sticks and the T2.

I've not touched the programming since December and am VERY happy with how it's currently set up. I really haven't had any major issues other than an inability to replicate ds4 motion control input to the analogue mini stick.

This will let you plug them into your ps4, BUT most of the buttons are going to execute button presses with modifiers for use in elite and other games won't recognize them, especially since they use the touch pad button presses in those combos. This is very specifically for Elite.
SirBrass
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby DeviateSquirrel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:31 am

I’m totally fine with that. Elite Dangerous is the only game I want the NXTs for.

Can you clarify a few things?
What are you using for each of the 6 axes? In my ideal world I’d have vertical level on left Y, laterals on left X, and fed/rev on left twist. Pitch and roll on right Y and X with yaw on right twist.
Are the mappings, including combos, assigned in T2 or in Elite? I believe that macros need to be configured in the T2 but I’m not sure about the rest.
DeviateSquirrel
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby SirBrass » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:55 pm

DeviateSquirrel wrote:I’m totally fine with that. Elite Dangerous is the only game I want the NXTs for.

Can you clarify a few things?
What are you using for each of the 6 axes? In my ideal world I’d have vertical level on left Y, laterals on left X, and fed/rev on left twist. Pitch and roll on right Y and X with yaw on right twist.
Are the mappings, including combos, assigned in T2 or in Elite? I believe that macros need to be configured in the T2 but I’m not sure about the rest.

Left Rz is vertical thrusters: L2 & R2. Left X-axis is lateral thrusters L3 & R3. Left y-axis is throttle (forward/back thrusters for landing override) R thumbstick y-axis.

Right stick Rz is yaw, x-axis roll, and y-axis pitch.

Mappings are in Elite. But the combos with modifiers are fixed in the code.

HOWEVER, center hat left stick is the traditional face button layout of the DS4, allowing manual use of face button + D-pad (using pov hat) or L1/R1 (left stick trigger and right stick trigger respectively).
SirBrass
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby DeviateSquirrel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:32 pm

SirBrass wrote:
DeviateSquirrel wrote:Left Rz is vertical thrusters: L2 & R2. Left X-axis is lateral thrusters L3 & R3. Left y-axis is throttle (forward/back thrusters for landing override) R thumbstick y-axis.

Right stick Rz is yaw, x-axis roll, and y-axis pitch.

Mappings are in Elite. But the combos with modifiers are fixed in the code.

I'm getting closer to understanding this now that I've played around a little with Gtuner and your code. Looks like I'd need to swap the Rz and Y for what I'm thinking (throttle on the left twist, vertical on left Y). Pretty sure I can reverse engineer what you've done. A couple of questions if I may;

*ACCEL_2_X is the NXT left stick X-axis, yes? Which makes ACCEL_2_Y the Y-axis and I assume ACCEL_2_Z the twist on the left stick?

*You're using STICK_1_Y (which I assume to be right stick Y-axis) in the Right Stick Twist Z-Axis section... I don't follow that. I'd assume you'd used something like STICK_1_Z. I assume the STICK vs the ACCEL might have something to do with the premium stick on the left and the standard stick on the right but using the Y-axis when you're talking about the Z-axis really caught me off guard!

*The DS4 L3/R3 are the click sticks, yes? If so they're digital inputs being mapped to an analog stick on the NXT. Are you somehow getting that digital input to work analog (holding a slight adjustment) or is it digital still (full on no matter the stick placement)? I only see 5 analog options on the DS4 so I had assumed we'd have to wait until the T2 has a new GPH(?) for the T-Flight HOTAS to emulate.

Would you be up for screen capturing the bindings in Elite like phillow did for his X52 post on Medium?
DeviateSquirrel
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Next

Return to User's Script Documentation