HID output not working on Switch

Gtuner IV general support. Operation, questions, updates, feature request.

HID output not working on Switch

Postby spikey » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:32 am

Hi, just got my new Titan Two, and I am excited. I need it to write text from a PC to any text entry in any program on a Nintendo Switch.
I started KMG Capture and it passes through the arrow keys and moves the cursor on my Switch, but if I type any letter or the return key, nothing is shown on the Switch.
Do I need to create a translation script for every key? if so, what is the command to send a letter to the Swtich? I just found how to read it on the input.

Thank you
spikey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: HID output not working on Switch

Postby spikey » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:38 pm

I tested it wit the current stable version of GTuner IV and also with GTuner IV 1.8.1.9 beta.
And also with these options:
keyboard_script_disabled_joystick.png
keyboard_script_disabled_joystick.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

If I use the same script with output to the PC, instead of the Switch, it writes "HELLO TITAN TWO" and repeats it. But attached to the Nintendo Switch, there is no output.
I hope you can give me further advice, please.
spikey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby teddy18 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:59 pm

The USB Multi Interface is only for PC maybe it will be work on Xbox one because they have native mouse and keyboard support
You have to set the protocol to Nintendo switch via USB

The Nintendo switch dont Support native Mouse and keyboard for games
You emulate with mouse and keyboard an Controller

You have to set on the Nintendo Switch in option Nintendo Pro Controller USB
teddy18
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby teddy18 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:06 pm

teddy18 wrote:The USB Multi Interface is only for PC maybe it will be work on Xbox one because they have native mouse and keyboard support
You have to set the protocol to Nintendo switch via USB

The Nintendo switch dont Support native Mouse and keyboard for games
You emulate with mouse and keyboard an Controller

You have to set on the Nintendo Switch in option Nintendo Pro Controller USB

And you have to download or make a Input Translater to map the keys / mouse to Controller Layout
And set Deadzone /mouse corve and Sensetivity
teddy18
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby spikey » Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:26 am

I think there is a misunderstanding: I would like to simulate text input not controller input. There are applications where you can code directly on the Nintendo Switch (e.g. FUZE4). Usually you just connect any USB keyboard to it and start typing.
Because there is no source control it would be very helpful, if one could manage the code on a PC and send it by the Titan (simulated as key presses) to the Switch.
I could not see anything related to Nintendo Switch keyboard input, in the last change log, also it is huge, congrats for getting all that fixes and features done.
spikey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:49 pm

The USB Multi HID Interface emulates an USB composite device for keyboard, mouse and, optionally, joystick. Based on previous messages, I understood you got the a GPC script to simulate key presses on computer to write "HELLO TITAN TWO". However, the same setup and script is not working on Nintendo Switch. Honestly, I never tested this output protocol on Nintendo Switch to check if works or not. I will do that as soon get back from vacation (next week). Thanks.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby spikey » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:43 pm

I would still be interested in simulating keyboard input, like it is coming from a USB keyboard pluged in to the Nintendo Switch. Any updates regarding the HID output? Thanks
spikey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby spikey » Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:42 am

Sorry, to revive this thread, but I decided to do a final test session, before I give up.

Status: Connecting any USB keyboard I have to my Switch, lets me enter text (instead of using the virtual keyboard shown in the e-shop for example).
However the Titan-Two-Keyboard output on the Multi Interface HID output is ignored by the Nintendo Switch.

I am able to load a script like this
Code: Select all

init {
    keymapping();
    // Changing output protocol to USB Multi Interface HID
    port_connect(PORT_USB_C, PROTOCOL_HID);
}

main {
    key_passthru();
}

and it nicely shows all keytrokes when connected to a PC.
When I switch it to my Nintendo Switch, nothing happens.

My final assumption is, that the USB Hardware ID of the Titan Two, I have, is not accepted as a keyboard by the Nintendo Switch. Is there a command to set the USB Hardware ID? I would like to try this as a final approach.

PS: I am able to use any other non-Nintendo-Controllers (on INPUT A) when the device is set to Nintendo Switch Output. So, the USB Hardware ID is not blocked in general.
PPS: If I unload all scripts (the Titan Two shows me a zero on its display) and set the output mode to Nintendo Switch: a keyboard attached to INPUT A is sending joycon-signals like left/right/up/down to the switch (and ESC is equal to button A, and Enter is equal to B). But in that mode, pressing keys, also don't show up on the switch.

It would be nice, if anyone could test this too or can gvie me feedback on this. Thank you.
spikey
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Gtuner IV Support