Trying to connect switch joy-cons to titan 2 via bluetooth

Gtuner IV general support. Operation, questions, updates, feature request.

Trying to connect switch joy-cons to titan 2 via bluetooth

Postby firefields » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:18 pm

I'm trying to connect use the Titan 2 to mod the joy con controllers from a Nintendo Swtich.
They will not connect and as I try to understand the steps that need to be taken to connect them I'm documenting it all here so anyone who is trying to do this in future can follow them without going insane! if I ever get them connected that is!

Setting up Titan Two

1. Attache the bluetooth module and insert the micro-sd card from the (sold separately https://www.amazon.co.uk/Expansion-Wireless-Latency-Bluetooth-Micro-SD/dp/B078PZXJGW)
more detailed video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhWH-jOxg4Q&t=10s

2. download the Gtuner IV software onto your mac or pc
available here https://www.consoletuner.com/downloads/

3. attach the micro usb cable to the your pc and the other end to the slot marked 'prog' on the Titan 2

4. Open Gtuner IV and check for any software or firmware updates
from the top menu: Tools -> Check For Updates
You should see a screen like this confirming that both are upto data

5. In Gtuner click 'device configuration' tab (bottom right)
and in the device configuration tab ensure to click 'configure'
the rest of the setting are be as follows

from here you can install mods and create your own and pair controllers.

Connecting Titan Two To Nintendo Switch

1.connect the micro-usb cable to the 'output' slot on the back of the Titan Two

2. connect the other end of the micro-usb to the Nintendo Switch dock

3. Enable wired pro controllers from the Nintendo Switch settings menu
From Nintendo Switch Home Screen: System Settings -> Controllers and Sensors -> Pro Controller Wired Communication

4. Disconnect all controllers from the Nintendo Switch
Follow the instructions, you'll need to remove the Nintendo Switch from the doc to complete this step and should see this screen confirming the controllers are disconnected.
you can then return the Nintendo Switch to the doc but do not re-attach the controllers as this will reconnect them.

5. Hold down the right-hand-site button* on the Titan Two for 2.5 seconds
* the right-hand-side button is sometimes referred to as the 'up button' despite having an icon with a down arrow
this will enter into bluetooth pairing mode and you will know it's in bluetooth paring mode when the display shows thie following animation

6. Within 30 seconds press in the connection button on the inside of both Nintendo Joy-Cons (you may need a pin to press these in)
you can tell they are looking for a connection because the four lights below the button will flash in order while it is searching.

7. Once connected the Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons should stop flashing and a single light should show you are connected.
Currently this never pairs and the joy cons continue to search
Last edited by firefields on Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:22 am, edited 10 times in total.
firefields
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Trying to connect switch joy-cons to titan 2 via bluetoo

Postby Mad » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Hi,

Bluetooth dongles aren't supported, only the bluetooth module.

Make sure to change some settings on the switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gqku5sW75M

Connect the titan two to the switch via OUTPUT.
Hold the up arrow on the titan two until it starts flashing then hold the sync button on the joycon.
ConsoleTuner Support Team || ConsoleTuner Discord || InputSense Discord
Mad
Major General
Major General

Postby firefields » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi Mad thank you for your reply.
Sorry I forgot that step I had also updated the settings on the Switch to allow pro controller (I've updated my original message to include that step)
And I had read in another post that I needed the bluetooth dongle and as it didn't work without it I tried adding that too. I've also removed the step from my original post.

Do you have any other ideas why this might not be syncing?
firefields
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mad » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:32 pm

First clear your controller pairings on the switch:
From within system settings

From the HOME Menu, select System Settings, Controllers and Sensors, then Disconnect Controllers.

These are the only steps you need, no bluetooth dongle.

Connect output to the switch, then:
Press and hold the UP button on the Titan Two for 2.5 seconds to enter in pairing mode;
Within 20 seconds, press the Bluetooth sync button on the controller/Joy-Cons;
The LEDs on the controller will start flashing and after few seconds it should be paired with the Titan Two.
ConsoleTuner Support Team || ConsoleTuner Discord || InputSense Discord
Mad
Major General
Major General

Postby firefields » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks again Mad for the additional step. Unfortunately still no luck. I've again updated my original message incase anyone new sees the thread.
firefields
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:11 pm

5. Hold down the 'up button' (to the left of the display) on the Titan Two for 2.5 seconds

The button that needs to be held down for 2.5 seconds is on the right side (not the one you are pressing on the photo). When the device enters in pairing mode the display shows an "animation" of the horizontal segment going from bottom->center->top, bottom->center->top, ... At this point you have 20 seconds to put the Joycon in pairing mode.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby firefields » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks for your suggestion J2Kbr.
I've given that a try and sadly still no luck.

I've updated my original post again incase anyone else checks the post.
firefields
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:03 pm

You are doing everything correct. Not sure why the Joycons are not pairing with the Titan Two.

Do you have any other Bluetooth compatible controller to test the Titan Two Bluetooth connectivity? Like a PS3 or PS4 controller. This will help diagnose if the issue is with the Bluetooth Module or not.

Thanks.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby firefields » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:57 pm

I've just tried to use an xbox1 controller and that also won't connect to the switch or to the xbox. And the switch joy cons won't connect to xbox either.

If I connect the Titan 2 to my mac and use the titan twos prog slot with the micro-usb. I can connect them to my mac and see the actions all showing up in Device Monitor on Gtuner IV. I can also connect the xbox1 controller to my mac.

I notice that when I click wireless connection on Gtuner IV I get a different animation on the digital display (which might be the one you described) it only shows the horizontal bars animate with none of the vertical bars. the design I created of the digital display animation... is that correct or is this animation indicating something else?
firefields
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 am

firefields wrote:I notice that when I click wireless connection on Gtuner IV I get a different animation on the digital display (which might be the one you described) it only shows the horizontal bars animate with none of the vertical bars.

This is an indication the Titan Two is in pairing mode. You have 20 seconds to pair the Bluetooth controller. After 20 seconds this animation automatically stops.

firefields wrote:the design I created of the digital display animation... is that correct or is this animation indicating something else?Image

This means the Titan Two is waiting one or more connection (console and controller) in order to operate.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Next

Return to Gtuner IV Support