[RESOLVED] usb2 or usb3?

Gtuner IV general support. Operation, questions, updates, feature request.

[RESOLVED] usb2 or usb3?

Postby Malevion » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:28 pm

hello all.
i need to buy a usb to Micro-b Cable for my Xbox one and Xbox-one-orginal-autentification-controller. about 3 meters long.
question:
should i buy a usb2->Micro-b, or should i buy a usb3->Micro-b?'

i already have a usb2->Micro-b (1 meter long). but it sometimes (several times per hour) makes my Xbox-one-original-headset microfone stop working. i can still hear my friends chat, but they can not hear me. i have to unplug and replug my Xbox one controller to make the mic working again, for a while.
thanx
Last edited by Malevion on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
i use Xbox one+Titan2+Titan1:
Titan1+microsoft-xbox360-wireless-dongle+microsoft-wireless-xbox-360-orginal-controller in port A.
and usb2->Micro-Cable+microsoft-wireless-Xbox-one-orginal-controller+microsoft-wired-Xbox-one-original-headset in port B.
Malevion
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: usb2 or usb3?

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:19 pm

The cable you need is an USB Micro-B male to USB Type-A male, either the 2.0 or 3.0 will work.

The issue you are noticing is not because the version (2.0 or 3.0), but very probable because the quality of the cable. As good 2.0 cable should not present such issue.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Sillyasskid » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 am

J2Kbr wrote:The cable you need is an USB Micro-B male to USB Type-A male, ̶e̶i̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ the 2.0 o̶r̶ ̶3.̶0 will work.

:smile0201: I had to fix that statement of yours.

The USB 3.0 cables are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 at the type A side only, The micro-b side is much wider as you can see.

The Xbox controllers do not take the USB 3.0 micro-B cable.

They use the standard USB 2.0 micro-b cable.

Malevion = wrote:i need to buy a usb to Micro-b Cable for my Xbox one and Xbox-one-orginal-autentification-controller. about 3 meters long.
question:
should i buy a usb2->Micro-b, or should i buy a usb3->Micro-b?'

The latter will not work, because the interface is not the same as the usb 2 cable.

They don't sell USB 3.0 type A male, to USB 2.0 micro-B cables.

Most micro-b cables are :smile0909:

I would avoid the regular cables completely for the controller, and opt in for an angled cable,

shown here:
The Down Angle is the one you want to get for the controller..
I use the up angle ones with the titan 2,

Theses are great, as they keep any unnecessary stress off the usb ports when handling either device, and as a bonus I never have to deal with the annoying quantum USB expected behavior
Sillyasskid
Captain
Captain

Postby Malevion » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:13 pm

alright. a usb2 it will be.

thanks for the detailed information. it actully really helped me to understand it all.
Titan1+microsoft-xbox360-wireless-dongle+microsoft-wireless-xbox-360-orginal-controller in port A.
and usb2->Micro-Cable+microsoft-wireless-Xbox-one-orginal-controller+microsoft-wired-Xbox-one-original-headset in port B.
Malevion
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby Malevion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:26 pm

Hello all
good news.
the update
2017-03-20, Ver 0.85B-66
* Optimizations to improve the data flow of mic audio signal from controller to console

has made a difference.
i have just ended a 4 hour co-op play with friends, and i have not unplug-replug a single time.
my friends have Heard me the whole session. :joia:
so far so good.
thanks
Malevion
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:05 am

@Sillyasskid. You are completely right. I forgot the micro-B on 3.0 has the extended connector.

Thanks Malevion. Very happy with your confirmation on the controller headset support!! :)
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:10 am

Sillyasskid wrote:I would avoid the regular cables completely for the controller, and opt in for an angled cable,

shown here:

Why angled? I'm really curious what the advantage is? Are they somehow more reliable?
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:16 am

I don't think the angle would affect the reliability, it is more about convenience.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby J2Kbr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:45 am

As we are in the subject of Micro-USB cables and because the cable is very important for the usage and reliability of the Titan Two operation, we are now providing the device with hi-quality cable, specially manufactured for the Titan Two device. Here is the sample produced to check the mold for the logo:
Titan Two Cable.jpg
Titan Two Cable.jpg (98.67 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
The final version will have 15um Gold-Plated connectors. The power lines are 20AWG (up to 10A) and 28AWG on the data lines for very low impedance. The connectors have additional PET coating reinforce the durability. The length of the cable provided with the device is 40cm (short for connection with the console). There will be an 5pcs cable kit that can be obtained separately, with the following items:

1. 30cm Micro-USB cable
  2. 1.0m Micro-USB cable
  3. 1.8m Micro-USB cable
  4. OTG Adapter
  5. Data Link Adapter. To manually choose from which port (OUTPUT or PROG) the Titan Two should get power. The recommendation is use this adapter on the longest cable when having connections on both OUTPUT and PROG simultaneously.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Malevion » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:11 pm

i have just ended a 4 hour co-op play with friends again, and i have not unplug-replug a single time.
my friends have Heard me the whole session.
but they are telling me that after i did T2-update-Ver 0.85B-66
* Optimizations to improve the data flow of mic audio signal from controller to console,
they hear a consistent Buzz-sound in a dark-base tone.
after 3 sessions at different dates i was going to inform the issue, but the T2-update-Ver 0.87B was released just Before.
it had: * USB HOST: Fixed several communication issues with Xbox One S controller, including inconsistent FFB and headset noise {GitHub#44}, in it.
so i did the T2-update-Ver 0.87B and hopped that that would fix the problem. but alas no. after 3 new session they are still complaing on the very same noise. no change at all.

(if i unplug my headset from controller the noise disapears, and if re-pluged the noise comes back.).
Malevion
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Next

Return to Gtuner IV Support