Input lag (controller latency)

Gtuner IV general support. Operation, questions, updates, feature request.

Input lag (controller latency)

Postby Mavman82 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:44 pm

Hey guys,

Just a few questions about input lag regarding the Titan2.

I have been using my T2 for a few months now and have no complaints. I do remember that there were certain 'best' settings for the Titan One to reduce input lag or latency to be as low as possible. Are there any best setting for the Titan Two? I play using a monitor and sit very close, so wired is best for me anyways....

Also, I am about to upgrade my controller to the DS4 (but will be playing on a regular PS4, not a PS4 Pro). With the new controller, I know I can enable a 'wired' connection to improve/reduce lag. If I used this wired connection with the T2, will I notice any difference? Can't seem to find a straight answer. Some say, using a Titan already creates a 'wired' connection. Not too sure...

Any help or thoughts you can give would be great!!!

Thanks,

Nick
Mavman82
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Input lag (controller latency)

Postby antithesis » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:25 pm

The purpose of the new wired settings on the PS4 is to ensure audio pass-through is enabled when the controller is connected via USB rather than BlueTooth. On older DS4 controllers, the audio doesn't work over USB. On newer ones, it does.

The controller itself will poll at the same 4ms rate over USB as it does over BlueTooth. If you can detect sub-10ms lag, you're in the super-human category. 99.99999999999999% of humans are not super-human.

It takes 100ms-150ms at a minimum to blink an eye. Most blinks are in the region of 300ms. It takes on average 283ms to reactively press a button, with the fastest among us between 100ms-150ms. There's way too much emphasis on input lag when there are much larger physiological barriers in place.

The only thing I'd recommend is using a screen with as low display latency as possible and an internet connection with as low network latency as possible because lag is additive and will stack with reaction time. Aim for a screen with less than a console frame of display lag (16ms) and a ping around 25ms or less (that's largely out of our control as the ping of our opponents and lag compensation comes into play).

Note that most screens advertise a grey-to-grey response rate, typically 5ms or less. That is NOT a valid measure of display lag. Most low g2g numbers will translate to 10-20ms of display lag which is within the range of 60Hz. If it's 50ms or more of display lag and you'll definitely notice it, but as long as it's around 30ms or lower, you're very unlikely to register it nor have any physical ability to react to it.

In other words, same difference and you're not going to notice it.
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby J2Kbr » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am

Excellent explanation antithesis.

Just one correction, the PS4 controller over Bluetooth have 1.25ms polling interval in average. Over USB the same controller is pooled at 4ms interval, as you wrote.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Mavman82 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:21 am

That makes sense.

I am using a BENQ gaming monitor, and hands down that has been the single most biggest difference in latency.

I guess I was hoping to hear that switching to the wired pro controller would make a difference.

Thanks for the quick responses guys.
Mavman82
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Return to Gtuner IV Support