Recoil Compensation (aka anti-recoil)

Tutorials, How-tos and FAQs for the Titan Two device.

Recoil Compensation (aka anti-recoil)

Postby UK_Wildcats » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 am

This is from an older topic that I posted under the T1 forums. Many newer or T2 exclusive members may not have ever seen it. Therefore, I wanted to update and add onto the T2 forums since anti-recoil is often a hot topic.

Background: Recoil compensation (aka anti-recoil) is simply applying look adjustments while shooting to compensate for the recoil of the gun. If a gun has recoil, it is almost always upward with possibly slight bit to a side(s). To compensate for this we naturally adjust the look joystick in a downward direction while we are shooting. In real time we can see the adjustments necessary and add more/less to the desired level. For automatic recoil compensation a certain amount of downward look settings have to be applied while shooting.

How to control recoil by Xclusive Ace using a controller. He is not using any mods. This is a good video for background information and ways to counter the recoil using the controller.

Below are the factors that have to be considered when adjusting anti-recoil.

1. Weapon: Every weapon has its own type and severity of recoil. The more sever the recoil, the more recoil compensation is needed. Recoil on automatic weapons are typically worse than semi or burst weapons.

2. Recoil Pattern: Some patterns are simply upward. Others are up and have some side movement as well.

NOTE: With some internet research, you may be able to find recoil pattern plots or youtube videos of people testing weapons and showing recoil.

This video shows the very unusual recoil patterns for COD BO4. Wile the recoil in this video is not typical of COD games, It is a good video to demonstration how weapon recoil varies.

3. Attachments: Attachments can have a positive and negative effect on recoil. Grips can dampen (lessen) the recoil while other attachments make the recoil worse (rapid fire, extended barrels, etc.)

Here are two videos by Xclusive Ace and Drift0r showing how effective GRIP is on different games.

4. Sensitivity: Even when using the exact same weapon & attachments, the amount of recoil compensation will be different for different sensitivity settings. For example, a small stick movement with a sensitivity of 3 will be less than the same movement on a sensitivity of 12.

5. Shooting Style: Some people always aim for the head. Others aim for upper body and allow the recoil to move upward for a head shot.

6. Distance: The amount of recoil compensation needed for an enemy that is close is different than would be needed if the enemy is a long range away. At longer ranges, weapons with moderate to higher recoil is more difficult to get kills. You often have to feather/burst the trigger to help control the recoil.

7. Play style: If you are constantly using various weapons, styles, attachments, etc, it would very difficult to program all these types of parameters for every condition. If you play with the same gun(s), attachments, etc, it may be easier to determine a few recoil compensation parameters that work for the various scenarios.

8. Lag/Latency Compensation: This is a hot topic within the gaming community, but a true reality. The compensation has gotten better of the years but is still very unpredictable. Therefore, it makes it very difficult to get consistent results. You can play locally and get great results, but not be great while playing online with others/servers.

Detailed explanations of lag compensation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Latency_Compensating_Methods_in_Client/Server_In-game_Protocol_Design_and_Optimization

9. Aim Assist - Aim assist can have a slight affect on your recoil compensation. This video does a good job explaining aim and target assist. While it is for BO3, it can apply to a variety of games.

Evaluation / Testing: How do you determine how much recoil there is on a certain weapon (with or without attachments)? You want a surface (walls, sides of trucks, etc.) in the game that will allow you to see the recoil pattern when shooting. Aim for chest height and simply press and hold the ADS and SHOOT buttons without any joystick movements. The bullet holes will show you the recoil pattern and severity. I like using private games and/or firing ranges if available.

Detailed write up shared by another forum member.
http://denkirson.proboards.com/thread/5906

Bottom Line: The amount of recoil compensation is a personal preference and is affected by all the parameters above. You have to experiment and play around with the settings to meet your needs, style, weapon, etc. To be most effective, you can use scripts and actual controller techniques (see first youtube video above).

Expectation: It is not fair or reasonable to expect a script or gamepack to be able to eliminate all recoil. However, you should be able to reasonably minimize the recoil to your benefit with some trial and error .
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Recoil Compensation (aka anti-recoil)

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:05 am

Awesome tutorial !! thank you very much for making such detailed tutorial.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby alencroat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:56 pm

So got a question, in video 2 @ time 2:40.. shows bullets fly same or in the same pattern. There for we can make a such a anti recoil script that can light pull opposite side to have it shoot center, so basicly if we know the patern we can code it in such a way so we can have the bullets go all in 1 dot. I know it may be difficult and lot of testing but its possible, right? So for some serious scripter it wont be an issue to just code it for their favorite gun to shoot all center all the times.
In my understanding anything that repeats can be scripted to do some nice stuff :P
alencroat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby UK_Wildcats » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 pm

I assume that you mean the BO4 video and the reverse "C" shape recoil pattern. Yes, it would be possible to develop an algorithm for that specific pattern. That would be one approach.

Another approach would be to develop a script with just the vertical recoil compensation. With vertical only, you will have to manually adjust for the horizontal recoil only. Since most targets are moving and you may be strafing, you are always adjusting it anyways. Personally, I don't try not use much horizontal adjustments within the script.

Using the BO4 recoil pattern, here are my thoughts on how I will approach recoil comp. For my script, I plan to develop just a few recoil pattern settings that I can toggle through while in the game. See the below examples.

The direction is in relation to the gun recoil. Compensation would be opposite.
0 - no recoil compenstation
1 - Vertical Only (medium comp)
2 - Vertical Only (high comp)
3 - Up & Right (medium)
4 - UP & Left (high)

Looking at the SMGs (begging weapons in the video)
MX9 - I would use 3
GKS - I would use 0 and attach grip, or possibly 1 without grip
Spitfire - I would use 4 . In this case, I only have a slight horizontal adjustment. If I can control the upward recoil, that should be enough
Cordite - I would use 1 or possibly 3. I don't plan on holding down the trigger that long to start the heavy left movement
Saug - I would use the 2.

Play style discussion - I am almost always strafing while I am in a head to head gun fight. If I know that a gun has a lot of right horizontal recoil, I will start by strafing left. This way, I can allow left body movement to help control the rightward recoil. This way, I can focus the biggest adjustments on vertical.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby alencroat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:16 pm

play style discussion, what you said thats interesting!
And for making a specific recoil based on a gun that would be awesome, Im thinking the best result is for guns that are heaving on recoil, like some crazy ones that bring it up allot.I think if we make custom recoil to those guns it would be most profitable?
alencroat
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jeta10 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:40 am

Great post. I have never seen these vids before so thankyou very much for sharing again. :)
jeta10
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby bonefisher » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:33 pm

alencroat wrote:play style discussion, what you said thats interesting!
And for making a specific recoil based on a gun that would be awesome, Im thinking the best result is for guns that are heaving on recoil, like some crazy ones that bring it up allot.I think if we make custom recoil to those guns it would be most profitable?

Yes you can make custom recoil to those guns and this is why we make it adjustable. Can't make one locked in basic for the weapons because everyone plays on different sensitivity settings which changes the adjustment of it plus play style of how you present your shooting when engagement of the enemy with foot movement...….do you backup when firing.....do you stop movement when firing.....or move forward when firing..... all these plays in with the recoil adjustment on certain games. Also some games that has sway moving back and fourth when firing plays a role which best just address the vertical adjustment and leave horizontal adjusting alone. :smile0517:
bonefisher
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby UK_Wildcats » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 pm

bonefisher wrote:
alencroat wrote:play style discussion, what you said thats interesting!

Yes you can make custom recoil to those guns and this is why we make it adjustable. Can't make one locked in basic for the weapons because everyone plays on different sensitivity settings which changes the adjustment of it plus play style of how you present your shooting when engagement of the enemy with foot movement...….do you backup when firing.....do you stop movement when firing.....or move forward when firing..... all these plays in with the recoil adjustment on certain games. Also some games that has sway moving back and fourth when firing plays a role which best just address the vertical adjustment and leave horizontal adjusting alone. :smile0517:

Great input
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Fpsnoob » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:28 pm

I just joined the community today and I havnt seen any scripts yet. My understanding of how scripts work is very small lol. This thread is the first thing I've come across.With that being said has anyone created a script with adjustable values that could help me to eliminate recoil for a weapon with a set recoil pattern, like for the weapons in call of duty Black ops 4 blackout mode. I'm hoping for something that can input multiple vertical and horizontal inputs set at different time frames during the trigger pull. For example a weapon that pulls up and left for X amount of milliseconds then down and right for X amount of milliseconds and then back right for X amount of milliseconds. I'm sure something of this nature would create a laserbeam effect and it interest me to see how small of a group I could achieve while stationary. If this has been created and a kind soul could point me in the proper direction you would have a new friend for life. Thanks to anyone in advance that takes time out of their busy day. ;)
Fpsnoob
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Mad » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:06 pm

Fpsnoob wrote:eliminate recoil for a weapon with a set recoil pattern, like for the weapons in call of duty Black ops 4 blackout mode. I'm hoping for something that can input multiple vertical and horizontal inputs set at different time frames during the trigger pull.

It is possible to create a script based on weapon patterns but there are none as it's time consuming compared to just fine tuning a standard anti-recoil.

There is user101s BO4 script that has rumble based anti-recoil that detects weapon groups and applies a pre set amount of anti recoil.

Or the universal gamepack that has 10 custom anti recoil profiles and rumble start/stop anti-recoil that gets some pretty accurate results.
ConsoleTuner Support Team || ConsoleTuner Discord || InputSense Discord (2K / FPS)
Mad
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Tutorials and FAQs