Personal request to everyone - please publish in GPC

GPC2 script programming for Titan Two. Code examples, questions, requests.

Personal request to everyone - please publish in GPC

Postby pablosscripts » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:09 am

Many of us have learned how to code in GPC by studying other scripts. I'm finding that an increasingly large number of scripts are now being published in Bytecode, which kind of takes away from the "community" feel of working with the Titan products.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly good reasons to use Bytecode - if you have spent a lot of time and energy working on a particularly complex piece of logic that you would like to keep to yourself I think that's totally fine, or if you are incorporating someone else's code and they have asked you to keep it a secret. Or maybe if there are just too many variables and you want to force users to use the Configurator UI. I'm sure there are more good reasons. But on the other hand, there are also many simple scripts or scripts that most people probably don't really need to keep a secret - I think these should be published as GPC for everyone to share.

We've all gained so much from this community I just feel it would be a bit of a shame to see everyone close up instead of contributing.

Anyway these are just my $0.02c :) These are simply my personal thoughts and definitely not a mandate by anyone officially connected to the company. At the end of the day, the code you write belongs to you. This is merely a suggestion!
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Personal request to everyone - please publish in GPC

Postby Breezer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 pm

Well said..

Coders can gain so much by leaving their script "open".

Not only will it help "others", but those "others" might make your code better by having nice ways of improving it.

Plus, let's admit, chances are that a lot of pieces in your "locked" script were greatly inspired by looking at someone else "open" scripts. To me it makes sens to give as much as you take..
(Wow, I just putted the bar crazy high, considering your Siege script...)
Breezer
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby donnewhitehead » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:05 pm

How about both so people who just want the end product and not learn how to code can benefit? I mean cmon I bought the titan 2 as a keyboard and mouse adapter with being able to run easily configurable game packs, not try to learn how to code, I can barely type, why would I want to code, im not into that.
donnewhitehead
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby pablosscripts » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:00 am

donnewhitehead wrote:How about both so people who just want the end product and not learn how to code can benefit? I mean cmon I bought the titan 2 as a keyboard and mouse adapter with being able to run easily configurable game packs, not try to learn how to code, I can barely type, why would I want to code, im not into that.

As I said there are good reasons why people want to publish exclusively in Bytecode. For example, one of my scripts is Bytecode only because it incorporates some proprietary logic from another contributor that needs to be kept secret.

But in general yeah most scripts don't need to be locked away.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby PaulaTheKoala » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:53 am

I don't really have an opinion on the subject (since I use my own scripts), I just feel like I should point out a few things.

Publishing as byte code in attempt to hide code is useless, someone with enough time, skill, and determination will eventually decompile it, the only thing publishing as byte code really does is hide variable names, function names, code comments, and hurts new users who want to learn. Another thing to note is if you lose your original source and you published as GPC, you will be unable to retrieve it. (Unless you have a GPC decompiler, even then it will not be exactly the same)
Last edited by PaulaTheKoala on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulaTheKoala
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Postby pablosscripts » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:04 am

PaulaTheKoala wrote:Another thing to note is if you lose your original source and you published as GPC, you will be unable to retrieve it.

Yeah I use Gtuner as a pseudo cloud save lol

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:36 pm

As stated, there are good and fair reasons for both publish the code or the binary. It is not easy to make an judgment on this merit. However, I believe everyone agree that a script published as bytecode should have an comprehensive description and documentation page explaining how the scripts works and how to configure it, as there is no other way for the users to know what the script does.

I also want make an little comment on the Paula's post: The effort and time needed to make an decompiler for the Titan Two's bytecodes would be much much higher than what would be necessary to just create an new script from scratch.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Breezer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:51 pm

pablogroup wrote:
donnewhitehead wrote:How about both so people who just want the end product and not learn how to code can benefit? I mean cmon I bought the titan 2 as a keyboard and mouse adapter with being able to run easily configurable game packs, not try to learn how to code, I can barely type, why would I want to code, im not into that.

As I said there are good reasons why people want to publish exclusively in Bytecode. For example, one of my scripts is Bytecode only because it incorporates some proprietary logic from another contributor that needs to be kept secret.

But in general yeah most scripts don't need to be locked away.

Oh, that's why your script is in Bytecode... I was wondering...

pablogroup wrote:Many of us have learned how to code in GPC by studying other scripts. I'm finding that an increasingly large number of scripts are now being published in Bytecode, which kind of takes away from the "community" feel of working with the Titan products.

Don't get me wrong, there are certainly good reasons to use Bytecode - if you have spent a lot of time and energy working on a particularly complex piece of logic that you would like to keep to yourself I think that's totally fine, or if you are incorporating someone else's code and they have asked you to keep it a secret. Or maybe if there are just too many variables and you want to force users to use the Configurator UI. I'm sure there are more good reasons. But on the other hand, there are also many simple scripts or scripts that most people probably don't really need to keep a secret - I think these should be published as GPC for everyone to share.

We've all gained so much from this community I just feel it would be a bit of a shame to see everyone close up instead of contributing.

Anyway these are just my $0.02c :) These are simply my personal thoughts and definitely not a mandate by anyone officially connected to the company. At the end of the day, the code you write belongs to you. This is merely a suggestion!

Totally agree on the documentation.
Breezer
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby UK_Wildcats » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:09 pm

I understand everyone's views. For the T1, I got tons of requests to help people fix their scripts which were taken from others and modified. Let's not even talk about how many scripts and posts were cloned and copied by "can't be spoken". (stills upsets me) As you know, work and life are chaotic; therefore, I cannot put as much time into the forums. I don't want to put extra work on others to maintain my scripts.

If we want to grow the T2 customer base, we need to make scripts and gamepacks that are extremely user friendly. Because of the new advanced options in Gtuner, development is more complex.

I too have been able to use code from others that don't want shared.

I fully appreciate using other's code to learn. For that reason, I'll share my code privately with contributing forum users.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby bonefisher » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:14 pm

+1 :joia: UK_Wildcats_Fans
bonefisher
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to GPC2 Script Programming