Another disconnection topic

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Another disconnection topic

Postby roidman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Titan 2 sits between PS4 and controller, wired connection. Wiggling around the cable that connects Titan2 to controller causes the controller to lose connection completely. Disconnect, reconnect the usb cable to Titan 2 from the controller solves the issue for an unknown time period. There is nothing else connected in to the input stream, Controller, titan2, console.

PS4 controller is set to use USB connection and while the controller is directly connected to the console it does not los connectivity even under heavy stress (me purposefully wiggling the connector at the controller side in all directions), which leaves out the controller connector being faulty.
roidman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Another disconnection topic

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:27 am

Based in your description, I am almost 100% sure the issue is the USB cable. Please try with another usb cable to check.

roidman wrote:PS4 controller is set to use USB connection and while the controller is directly connected to the console it does not los connectivity even under heavy stress

This is because the controller is connected with the console wirelessly, despite the USB cord. The USB cord is used to charge the battery, this is the default operational mode for DS4 controllers.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby roidman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:02 pm

J2Kbr wrote:Based in your description, I am almost 100% sure the issue is the USB cable. Please try with another usb cable to check.

I tried with 3 other usb cables that I have and they all exhibit the same behavior. I have found a 4th one that seems to work but it is really short. Is there a usb cord length constraint for the device? Is the the cable quality the issue or you think cables are getting worn out over time? You know there are HDMI cable quality levels, some can't do 4K and HDMI2.0....something like that exists for microUSB?

roidman wrote:PS4 controller is set to use USB connection and while the controller is directly connected to the console it does not los connectivity even under heavy stress

J2Kbr wrote:This is because the controller is connected with the console wirelessly, despite the USB cord. The USB cord is used to charge the battery, this is the default operational mode for DS4 controllers.

My console is set to use the cabled connection only meaning, if I connect the controller using a cable and then turn on the controller and then unplug the wire, the controller turns off, does not stay on like the wireless connection. Anyways, the controller seems to work fine and not disconnect as I wiggle the cable around until I fully unplug it from the controller I/O port. This is the behavior on all the cables that get disconnection issues when they are used as Titan2 output port --> Console USB input.
roidman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:36 pm

roidman wrote:Is there a usb cord length constraint for the device? Is the the cable quality the issue or you think cables are getting worn out over time?

roidman wrote:My console is set to use the cabled connection only meaning, if I connect the controller using a cable and then turn on the controller and then unplug the wire, the controller turns off, does not stay on like the wireless connection. Anyways, the controller seems to work fine and not disconnect as I wiggle the cable around until I fully unplug it from the controller I/O port. This is the behavior on all the cables that get disconnection issues when they are used as Titan2 output port --> Console USB input.

Right, you have the newer DS4 controller. In this case you are correct, the connection is over USB, if set on the PS4 configuration.

My initial impression was bad connection in the connector joint, causing intermittent disconnection when wiggling. Which can be caused or by an wear out connector on the cable, or on the controller connector. But it seems this is not your case, as you can use the controller on the console with the cable without problems.

does this issue happens on both input-a and input-b on the Titan Two?

And the cable that connectes the Titan Two to the PS4, have you tried change this as well?

thanks.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby roidman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:57 pm

I have ordered 2 brand new highly rated microUSB cables from Amazon. They should be here today. Going to use those right after opening the package both for controller --> titan2 (will try A and B inputs) and titan2--> console. I'll reply here with findings after that. I also have a feeling that microUSB cable quality is very poor majority of the time.
roidman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby kenshin80012 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:50 pm

i had issues like this when using long cables, or thin cables. from my findings, get a thick and quality cable from the Titan Two to the console, and then to the controller, i am just using a samsung one that came with my phone
kenshin80012
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Postby shadowcatt » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:18 pm

My Titan 2 seems to have issues where the micro usb goes into it from the console. If wiggle it at all it will disconnect, lights will flash red then reconnect. Even if its sitting where no one is touching it, it will do it every 10 minutes or so. I tried 5 different cables but it seems as though the connector is loose inside. I've literally only used it half a dozen times to play.
Has there been issues like this or did I just get super lucky?
shadowcatt
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby UK_Wildcats » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:03 pm

I experience similar issues and the problem is always the micro usb connector side of the cable.

The micro USB connector is terribly designed which allows for loose connections and issues. That is why companies quickly switch to USB C once it was available. I game almost every day for hours at a time with time critical games such as COD IW. I tend to get disconnect issues after about 3-4 months due to the micro USB connector. The tension in the connector decreases and allows the connection to get intermittent and cause issue.

I found better success with higher quality cables such as the Anker braided cables. The connectors on these cables tend to be better than the cheap amazon cables which constantly give me issues.

This works for some micro usb connectors which have the tangs.
https://aramblinggeek.com/quick-fix-fixing-a-loose-micro-usb-cable

Jefferson - I am really looking forward to testing the bluetooth adapter (once completed) so I can stop having these micro usb connector issues.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:29 pm

UK_Wildcats_Fans wrote:Jefferson - I am really looking forward to testing the bluetooth adapter (once completed) so I can stop having these micro usb connector issues.

Me too.. this is the last major aspect to needed on the Titan Two!! Working to get this done asap. :smile0517:
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby The_Rabid_Taco » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Patiently (Ok, so I'm lying on that one!) waiting for that. Going to make it over the top!
The_Rabid_Taco
Major
Major

Return to Titan Two Device