Possible to combine 2 PS Move Navigation controllers?

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Re: Possible to combine 2 PS Move Navigation controllers?

Postby IonBlade » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 am

Oh, that's a great point I hadn't even thought of! Perfect, have an order for a couple of Titan Ones and BT adapters on the way as well. Can't wait to get this all setup! :-)

Thanks for the help!
IonBlade
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby IonBlade » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:02 am

Got the 2x Titan Ones and the Titan Two in, and it's *almost* working perfectly, but I think I've run into a small glitch (or I'm doing something wrong).

I've got both Titan Ones setup with the controllers connected to them via BT, with Titan One #1 outputting one set of buttons for its input controller (the buttons from the left side of the PS3 controller and the start / select / PS buttons), and Titan One #2 remapping its Move Nav controller to a separate set of buttons (the buttons from the right side of the PS3 controller). Both Titan Ones are set to force output as PS3 protocol.

If I plug Titan One #1 into USB A, Titan One #2 into USB D via an OTG cable, and plug the original PS4 controller into USB B, the buttons from Titan One #1 work perfectly. The buttons from Titan One #2 in USB D however are very messed up - for example, instead of triangle, I get the PS button as output of the Titan Two. Strangely, this mis-mapping _only_ happens on USB D. If I authenticate via a PS4 controller in USB B to the PS4, then unplug the PS4 controller from USB B and plug Titan One #2 into USB B instead of USB D, everything works perfectly (until the authentication re-check happens and the connection is dropped).

Just to make sure it's not something on the TItan One configuration side, I tried swapping the two Titan Ones, so that Titan One #1 was plugged into USB D via OTG, and Titan One #2 was plugged into USB A, with the PS4 controller still plugged into USB B. Once I did that, Titan One #2 (which had messed up button mappings before) worked perfectly, but Titan One #1 (which worked perfectly before) now had messed up button mappings.

I connected Gtuner Pro to the Prog port of the Titan One that was plugged into USB D of the TItan Two, so that I could see the output the Titan One was sending to the Titan Two. Device monitor on the Titan One showed that the Titan One was reading the PS Move Nav inputs correctly, and providing the expected outputs to the Titan Two in PS3 protocol format, so it seems that the problem isn't at the Titan One side, but the Titan Two USB-D side. This seems to be backed up by the fact that the Titan Ones' outputs are only incorrect when they're plugged into USB-D on the Titan Two - they're fine if they're plugged into USB A or B.

If I plug the two Titan Ones into USB A and USB B and then connect the prog port of the Titan Two to my PC with Gtuner IV, I can see that everything is inputting / outputting as expected in its Device Monitor. However, I can't validate what the Titan Two is doing when the second Titan One is plugged into USB D, since the prog port is occupied by the Titan One in that case and not free to connect up to the PC.

I'm powering the Titan Two with the recommended 7.5 V supply from Amazon, and have tried using two different known-good OTG cables.

(On the bright side, while I can't use the setup with my PS4 while encountering this issue, since I need to use USB-D for Titan One #2 so that the PS4 controller can authenticate via USB-B, I have been able to test the setup with Xbox One by plugging the Xbox One controller into USB-B, authenticating, then removing it from USB-B and putting the second TItan One into USB-B. Since the XBox One doesn't require continual reauth, that setup worked great, and I was able to combine both Move Nav controllers into a single controller with no issue! So once this issue is resolved with the weird button behavior on USB-D, so that I can use this with PS4 as well, it'll be a perfect setup for me, at least until the per-port remapping and Bluetooth are native to the Titan Two so I can get rid of all the extra dongles and cables :-) )

Here are the config files I'm using:

Titan One #1 - left PS Move controller (basically passes through the left hand PS Move controller's inputs, except it turns the analog buttons into digital for responsiveness)
PS Move Nav Left T1 Remapping.gpc
(824 Bytes) Downloaded 105 times

Titan One #2 - right PS Move controller (converts the right hand PS Move controller's inputs from L1, L2, L3, etc to R1, R2, R3 etc., and maps the PS button on Move #2 to x accelerometer 100% so that the PS button on this Titan One is uniquely identifiable from the PS button on the other Titan One for use in the Titan Two script)
PS Move Right T1 Remapping.gpc
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

Titan Two - swaps x accelerometer for button 19 so that the Titan One #2's PS button press triggers a touchpad press on PS4:
PS Move Remap.git
(154 Bytes) Downloaded 162 times

Configuration-wise, the Titan Ones are both set to force output as PS3. The Titan Two is set to automatic output (though it exhibits the same incorrect behavior on inputs from USB-D if it's set to forced PS4 output when testing on my PS4). The Titan Ones and Titan Two are all up to date with the latest firmware available through Gtuner.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
IonBlade
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby IonBlade » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 am

A couple other findings:

To further simplify the tests, I removed the Titan Ones from the setup entirely, and just hardwired the two Move Nav controllers to the Titan Two, so that the setup was:
- Move Nav #1 to Input-A (hardwired)
- Move Nav #2 to Prog port via USB OTG (hardwired)
- PS4 controller in Input-B
- Output port to PS4

In that setup, I get the same behavior - the controls on the Prog port are not correct - they aren't read. Even if I disconnect Move #1 from USB-A and the PS4 controller from USB-B, so that only the output to PS4 is hooked up + the Prog via OTG to Move #2, the inputs from the Prog port aren't read correctly.

I also realized that I could connect Titan One #2 up to the output port over OTG, then hook the Prog port up to my PC to see what was going on in Gtuner (overall config: Titan One #1 in Input A, Titan One #2 in the Output port via PROG, DualShock 4 in Input-B, and prog port to PC for Gtuner). In that setup, the Device Monitor in Gtuner shows that the inputs and outputs are working fine. So it seems like the incorrect inputs only occur when the prog port is being used for input via OTG, but not when the output port (USB-D) is being used for input via OTG. This confirms the OTG cable is good, at least. I don't know of a way to confirm what is actually being read when USB-C is being used for input though, since I can't hook Gtuner up to the Prog port while it's also being used for input.

Everything seems to be pointing to inputs on OTG from the prog port being read incorrectly (though inputs from A, B, and the Output port (via OTG) are read fine). Is there any debug logging I can enable on the device itself to aid in troubleshooting?
IonBlade
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby IonBlade » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:07 pm

@J2Kbr Just saw you updated with support for port masking. You ROCK!

I tried updating to the new firmware / Gtuner, but unfortunately I'm still having the same behavior as above (actually a little worse - now whenever a controller is connected to Prog via OTG, the player indicator light on the controller just blinks like it's not connected at all (e.g. it's charging, not connecting), and the left analog stick output from the Titan Two gets stuck in the upper left position immediately. As soon as I unplug the controller from the OTG adapter on prog, controller 1 goes back to working fine.)

To summarize so you don't have to read the whole list of troubleshooting steps I've taken above, what I seem to have found on my unit is that input into the Prog port over USB OTG is not being treated correctly - no buttons work, and the analog output from the Titan Two gets stuck as if I'm holding the left analog in the upper left as soon as it's connected.

I got the Titan Connection Kit in from Amazon today and tried again with official cables - still the same behavior. So it looks like that definitely rules out the bad cable potential. I'm using the recommended power adapter with it, so I don't think it's a power issue as well.
IonBlade
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi IonBlade, as I explained to you by PM, the PROG port with OTG adapter can only "read" HID controllers (keyboard/mice/joystick/wheels/etc). Internally the Titan Two have a micro-controller and an high-speed USB controller. The inputs A, B and the OUTPUT are handled by the USB controller, and the PROG is directly connected to the micro-controller.

When using a controller compatible with the connected console, the Titan Two creates a direct connection between the controller and the console. This allows the Titan Two to support any current and future console specific features (such as headsets, chatpads, etc) without any internal implementation.

However, this direct connection (called full passthru mode) is only possible within the USB ports on the USB controller. That is why the PROG only supports HID devices, as it can't be used for full passthru mode.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby mtnjustme » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:40 am

J2Kbr wrote:Welcome to our community and thank you for your interest on the titan Two. :)

IonBlade wrote:1) Can I indeed combine 2 PS Move Nav controllers as detailed above into one controller I can use on the PS4 / Wii U / Xbox One, and only need a PC for programming (not during actual gameplay)? (I saw one thread that mentioned when 2x controllers are plugged in, it's not possible to differentiate which port the input came from, but it was referring to an Arduino setup, and perhaps I missed that the controllers were _behind_ the Arduino and not directly connected, if that was the setup. Just wanted to make sure you can indeed combine inputs from two identical PS Move Nav controllers into one virtual controller where an input button on one Move Nav controller can map to a different output button than the same input button on a second Nav controller.)

Currently you can have 2 (and more) PS Navigator controllers connected simultaneously to the Titan Two. However, both will act as an single controller where the buttons mapping will be overlapping.

I have already detected a demand to create button mapping based on the input port which a controller is connected. this should be implemented soon and after that what you described will be possible. :joia: :joia:

IonBlade wrote:2) I know the bluetooth isn't ready today, but had read it would be ready in the next couple of months. I saw the Bluetooth can input 2 devices. Will what I'm trying to do with combining 2x Move Nav input controllers into one controller output be supported over Bluetooth input, provided I hook the Titan Two over USB into the PS4 and hook the DualShock 4 into the Titan Two for authentication on the PS4 / take the appropriate steps to handle the auth on the Xbox One for hooking it to that?

Yes, with the Bluetooth module you will be able to have both PS Navigators connected to the Titan Two wirelessly simultaneously, while still having the authentication controller wired to the Titan Two and the Titan Two connected to the console. :smile0517:

I have a question.
The Titan Two device is detected as a usb device to the console am I right?
If so, it would make sense that every usb output of a console can detect only 1 controller, that creates a bottle neck and no matter what you'd do with the device itself it wouldn't be able to transmit more than 1 controller's signal to the console, since only 1 controller signal will be detected by console itself, because the Titan Two is connected via usb.
What are your thoughts about it?
Will the Titan Two support multiple controllers without overlapping each other, or it is uncertain?
If the Titan Two device supports only 1 controller signal at a time then I personally don't have alot of use for it.
The official release is coming soon, I'd like to know more about this feature's progress, and whether I'd buy it for nothing or not.
Thanks in advance.
mtnjustme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:38 pm

The Titan Two device is capable of seamless handle, between USB and Bluetooth, up to 8 simultaneously connections and execute any loaded GPC Script or Gamepack, maintaining an average response time between 50 and 250 micro-seconds. A smart algorithm merges the data from multiple controllers into a single normalized data structure, allowing all connected controllers to operate the console at the same time. :smile0517:
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby mtnjustme » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm

J2Kbr wrote:The Titan Two device is capable of seamless handle, between USB and Bluetooth, up to 8 simultaneously connections and execute any loaded GPC Script or Gamepack, maintaining an average response time between 50 and 250 micro-seconds. A smart algorithm merges the data from multiple controllers into a single normalized data structure, allowing all connected controllers to operate the console at the same time. :smile0517:

That wasn't an answer to what I've said.
Doesn't matter if you're getting even 300 input connections if the output is 1, only 1 user will be able to use it and it becomes pointless in most cases.
The question is, how will it be able to output 4 controllers for example, if it's connected via 1 usb to the console?
That's what this thread was about at the first place, and you said that you'll work on a solution based on the port the controller was connected to in the Titan Two 2, but it doesn't matter, since it can only output 1 controller signal, based on the usb it's connected to in the console.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this device will never be compatible with outputing multiple controllers to the console, but outputting only 1 signal and thats it.
mtnjustme
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby J2Kbr » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:38 am

Okay, now I understood your point. It wasn't obvious because this thread is about merging the inputs from multiple PS3 Navigation controllers and outputting the result as a single controller.

The Titan Two is a single user device. This is not a limitation, but a design requirement to support everything what the device is capable of. If more than one player wants to use the Titan Two, each one must have his own.

What you are proposing is not technically viable, you will never see a device like the Titan Two that outputs as Player 1, Player 2, Player 3, etc at the same time.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby mtnjustme » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 pm

J2Kbr wrote:Okay, now I understood your point. It wasn't obvious because this thread is about merging the inputs from multiple PS3 Navigation controllers and outputting the result as a single controller.

The Titan Two is a single user device. This is not a limitation, but a design requirement to support everything what the device is capable of. If more than one player wants to use the Titan Two, each one must have his own.

What you are proposing is not technically viable, you will never see a device like the Titan Two that outputs as Player 1, Player 2, Player 3, etc at the same time.

Alright, I see.
Eventhough it's possible, if it has 4 usb outputs for example, or some smart 1 output that's based on timing/frequency/amplitude difference and a purchaseable hub for it, making it basically support unlimited outputs, and make them programmable to the point that the device can be connected to both PC/Xbox 360/Xbox One/PS3/PS4/Wii at the same time, outputting over 20 controllers in the same time.
And yea happy that you get my point, unfortunately buying 4 Titan Two is too expensive.
Maybe for the Titan Three think about having that option xD :wink: .
Have a great day there.
mtnjustme
Private First Class
Private First Class

PreviousNext

Return to Titan Two Device