➤ PS aim controller

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Re: ➤ PS aim controller

Postby glenntidbury » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 pm

before we have farpoint gamepack (lol), we'd also need a ps aim output protocol....otherwise the ps4 would only see the aim as any standard ds4, and therefore wouldn't work for psvr games that use the orb light tracking.

for the moment at least, I think we'd be just looking at using the aim for ds4 games (without motion tracking, or maybe some ds4 games that use only the gryos etc, no light bar), or for other platforms that make use of the other sensors (accel/gryo).

going forward though, if an aim output protocol was possible, and we could pair the aim to the t2 via Bluetooth....we might be able to use it in psvr games, using the t2 as a passthrough, but allowing us to have custom button mappings, swap sticks, etc...or have rapid fire, or macros for auto running, or whatever, you know?

Personally, this kind of use doesn't interest me, I only got the t2 to allowme to find different ways to play (setting up my dual flight sticks, and now my g29 wheel to play games that would otherwise not be playable with those controllers).

one other thing I was thinking....AIM ROTATIONAL DRIFT....this is a fairly common problem....if we had an aim output protocol, we could potentially play with the aim using t2 as a passthrough, and just monitor the sensor values to see what is actually going on with them when the rotational drift occurs...if we can then establish a pattern, we MAY be able to "fix" it???

my theory on rotational drift has always been that it's a problem with the sensor data from the accel/gyros.

if, just for example, we find a pattern that when it's still, the gyros themselves are slowly increasing....then maybe we could write a script to create a sort of "deadzone"...whereby if the gyro reading changes by say less than 5 degrees, the reading is instead output WITHOUT that change...and when it's more than that, i.e. when we actually turn the controller ourselves, it will provide the output value as being the difference between the final state and the initial state?

that's all assuming quite a lot, but would be the one thing I'd hope to have a use for regarding the aim controller and t2.

all entirely hinges on it being possible to create an aim output protocol though, so that the ps4 sees it AS an aim controller, not as a ds4.

thinking about it...if that's actually even possible, to create output protocols for things like the aim....I wonder if you could create them for the move controllers too?

obviously, they'd still need the ps4/psvr and camera, and would only work in the games they're designed to work with....but being able to button swap for certain games could prove quite useful?
glenntidbury
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby filoogaroo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Like i said - it is a challenge ;)
filoogaroo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Maria » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:05 am

I'd be happy with just rapidfire and combos (button status and thumb sticks status).
No recoil doesn't bother me and I don't think it would ever be possible,
because spacial positioning is calculated on the console by analysing the image from the PS Camera.
Maria
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby glenntidbury » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 am

Yup, even button remapping would be awesome, as many games don't give you the option to do so.

All totally hinges on the ability to create an aim output though, as without that the PS4 will only see it as a ds4, so you won't be able to play psvr aim games with it.

I think patience though. J2kbr got so many things in the go at once with the T2. Recently added PS4 wheel support, which is awesome :)

He helped me a lot getting dream setup with dual flight sticks too. So if there's a way, I'm sure he'll find it when he's got the time :)

Not even sure if it is possible though, the aim and moves are so different from the other controllers, so I'm not sure if an output for them would even work, and still allow for the tracking light to be controlled by the PS4 while connected through the T2?

I think it's a bit of a dream, but if there is a way, Jefferson is the guy who will find it haha.
glenntidbury
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:09 am

Maria wrote:and expect I'll be able to pair the PS aim controller via bluetooth?

At this first moment was added only wired support for the PS aim controller. As I don't have this controller yet, I would like you give some feedback on how it worked, so we can then move forward and add wireless support for it (Bluetooth). :smile0517:
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby glenntidbury » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:19 pm

Hey man, just thought I'd give you a quick update.

I've just tested the aim controller with the t2, and the only thing I can see is that the touch click and share buttons need to be swapped....other than that, everything is mapped correctly.

also, none of the sensor data is reported to gtuner (i.e. gyros/accels/point/touch p1/p2), and (as expected) the tracking ball doesn't light up at all.

as a spare ds4, or just as something cool to hold while playing flat games though, it works.

I don't play much flat games these days, so I don't think i'll be testing it much at this stage, but thought I'd drop you a message to say what's working and what needs remapping.

side note:-
also discovered that the usb port on my aim controller is garbage, very frequent disconnects in power/data....didn't ever notice that before when it's been charging, and ps4 does report that it's fully charged,,,but definitely getting a lot of disconnected, which wiggling the cable at the aim end fixes :)
glenntidbury
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Maria » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:11 am

J2Kbr wrote:I would like you give some feedback on how it worked, so we can then move forward and add wireless support for it (Bluetooth).

I'm trying it today.
:smile0517:
Maria
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby Maria » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:57 am

hey J2Kbr,
tested...

01. gtuner and titan two updated.
02. in device monitor every button is working (and imho is a huge step ahead),
03. like glenntidbury said,
everything is mapped correctly except the touch click and share button, they are inverted and you need to swap them over.
04. none of the sensor data is reported to gtuner (i.e. gyros/accels/point/touch p1/p2) and I think this can come later on, because for now the priority is configuring a simple rapidfire on R2 (less stress on the trigger) and some simple combos,
and maybe, like someone else suggested, a basic remap active on the titan two rather than at a higher level (PS4).
05. at the moment (testing stage I suppose) if I press any buttons,
no button status is passed to the PS4,
so we cannot associate the aim controller to the current PS4 user (by pressing the PS button) and the tracking ball doesn't light up at all (it happens when you press the PS button and you switch the device on),
consequently we can't use it with games yet.
06. I haven't noticed any cable disconnections (fully charged aim controller).

________

J2Kbr,
what's the next step?
Maria
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby glenntidbury » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:16 pm

interesting. I didn't actually test it while connected to my ps4, only via the prog port in gtuner.

I'll try it later and see if I get the same...you'd have thought that if it's reading them fine, and reporting output in gtuner, you should at least be able to use it as a ds4 on the ps4?

on another note, just read an interesting new "fix" for the aim drift. Someone on reddit reckons that having something that vibrates, like a massager motor, strapped to the gun, stops the drift by keeping the sensors active.

if that's true, we might be able to "fix" it in script by having the values for the sensors constantly change by a random but small value, just to keep them "awake" without actually having it affect the rotation data too much?

could be another snake oil solution, as I've he4ard loads of "fixes" for the aim drift....none have had any lasting value so far.
glenntidbury
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby glenntidbury » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Ok, just tried the aim connected to PS4 through T2, and it works exactly like any other controller. So you can essentially use it now as a spare ds4, minus the sensor data and light tracking, and except for the already mentioned swap required between touch click and share.

I'm still not sure that I'd play any flat games this way, but hey, any progress is cool, and at least it's an option now :)
glenntidbury
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Titan Two Device