Firmware update potentially causing hardware failure

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Firmware update potentially causing hardware failure

Postby f00lio » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:20 pm

Over the weekend with the series of fw updates I encountered a problem that I would like more clarification on. I had previously been running Ver 1.00RC-1 without any major issues (other than the known intermittent wireless xbox adapter connectivity problems). I saw that 1.00RC-5 was released and included preliminary support for BT configuration via Android/iOS, which was something I had been eagerly awaiting, so I updated.

Unfortunately, this update caused a number of problems on my T2. The xbox wireless adapter was disconnecting more often and sometimes the T2 would be unresponsive. Thankfully I had my computer connected to the prog port during one of these events and I saw that the CPU was pegged at 100%. I went to unplug everything and noticed that the T2 was incredibly hot. After waiting a bit I plugged it back in and the device was unresponsive. The main colored LED had a dim pulsing blue light, but that was it. I was afraid that this event had toasted it. I waited even longer and started it up with nothing but my computer connected. Thankfully it started this time and I saw that there was already a new fw update which I installed.

The 1.00RC-6 update resolved the constant hanging/disconnecting issues I was having, but I now am very concerned that this event could have damaged the hardware itself and will manifest a bigger problem at some point in the future. I have also noticed that occasionally when connecting the T2 to my computer that the initial connect message is appended with (Brown-out 1V8). I'm not sure if that is relevant to this, but figured it was worth mentioning.
Last edited by f00lio on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f00lio
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Re: Firmware update potentially causing hardware failure

Postby UK_Wildcats » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:50 pm

There is a new release out. Please give it a try.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby f00lio » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:10 pm

I was already up to date as of the writing of that post. I know it was long (sorry), but I mentioned that even the following day update resolved the immediate issue of the disconnects/hangs and subsequent extreme overheating. My concern was/is any hardware damage that was caused by the initial update.

I know JK doesn't have a fixed warranty length so that he can be generous/flexible but I also know that overheating can manifest as future problems. I was hoping for some input from him as he knows the thermal dissipation capacity of the unit far better than I do
f00lio
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby pablosscripts » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:58 am

I just got this brown out error too and it's frightening. What caused it?
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:26 am

pablosscripts wrote:I just got this brown out error too and it's frightening. What caused it?

Reset due brownout voltage is a safety measure. This means if the micro-controller detects a voltage value below a threshold it will enter in reset state until the voltage gets back to the operational level.

Brownout reset can be caused when the power source is not capable to provide enough power to all connected devices.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 am

Thank you for the explanation. By the way, when you have two USB cables connected (one via Prog and another via C), does this provide the device with more power than usual? Or does it make no difference.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 am

pablosscripts wrote:Thank you for the explanation. By the way, when you have two USB cables connected (one via Prog and another via C), does this provide the device with more power than usual? Or does it make no difference.

You are welcome.

The Titan Two selects only one power source based on higher input voltage. You can check what is currently source of power (OUTPUT, PROG or External Power supply) in the Device Configuration panel. :smile0517:
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:52 am

I put the adapter head on my AC plug the wrong way around - this was the cause of the brownout.

The adapter port is now fried, it won't charge anymore. My T2 still works perfectly though. Is it likely my T2 will die eventually? Or would the brownout protection have saved it? I'm trying to decide on whether I should buy a new one now or leave it till later.

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:39 pm

pablosscripts wrote:Is it likely my T2 will die eventually? Or would the brownout protection have saved it? I'm trying to decide on whether I should buy a new one now or leave it till later.

Possible it was only the input voltage regulator that got damaged. The device works fine without it, the only issue you will not able to use external power supply anymore. This voltage regulator is a very common part, if you have a good soldering station you can try replace it. :smile0517:
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:40 pm

ok I'll go to the shop and ask - is there a specific type I need to buy? Or will they know what I'm talking about if I ask for a "voltage regulator"?

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Next

Return to Titan Two Device