Request: iOS 13 titan two support

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Request: iOS 13 titan two support

Postby Capt moore » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:52 am

Deleted, see below.
Last edited by Capt moore on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Request: iOS MFI controller support

Postby J2Kbr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:39 am

I am definitively interested in implement such feature. Just not sure if is possible to emulate an existing MFI approved controller. Going do some research on that.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Capt moore » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Deleted, iOS 13 will natively support both ps4/Xbox one (via Bluetooth) controllers.
Last edited by Capt moore on Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby J2Kbr » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:20 am

Thank you for sharing this information with me. A very good starting point. :smile0517:
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Capt moore » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:22 am

J2Kbr wrote:Thank you for sharing this information with me. A very good starting point. :smile0517:

I don't know if you follow apple news today, but there have been some interesting developments today from Apple's WWDC conference.

The next versions of apple's OS software (was released in developer beta today, general availability in the fall) has official controller support for Xbox One S & PS 4 controllers. Support has been announced is for iOS/iPadOS/tvOS.

https://toucharcade.com/2019/06/03/wwdc ... r-support/

https://toucharcade.com/2019/06/03/xbox ... rt-iphone/

My guess is the Xbox One S being mentioned is because it will use the bluetooth feature to communicate to the Apple Device, and the original xbox controllers didn't have bluetooth out.

I would think this would allow us to use the titan 2 with IOS games as well, running input translators/macros/scripts, maybe even support for alternate controller schemes (mouse & keyboard on iOS PUBG Mobile, or flight controls for Xplane or Infinite Flight for example.)

I don't run the beta software (I only have personal devices that I can't really afford to break running beta software) but I imagine that since an IOS app has been developed for the Titan Two, there may be some devices around the Consoletuner office to play around with and see if it will be easy to add support for iPadOS/iOS/tvOS.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Request: iOS 13 titan two support

Postby Capt moore » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:20 am

i changed the title of the post as we no look longer need to worry about iOS security chips as far as i can tell.

As long as the titan two can fool the iOS device into thinking it is either an Xbox one or ps4 controller (connected via Bluetooth, not WiFi direct) it should work.

A question remains how iOS determines the controller is an Xbox or ps4 controller, although it may not matter if using the titan two for scripts (and not trying to hook up other systems controllers.

I haven’t heard if licensed third party controllers (with Bluetooth) work as well, I doubt there are any dual use WiFi direct/Bluetooth controllers (except Microsoft’s official one) made by others. All ps4 controllers (even third party ones) are Bluetooth only, correct?
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Capt moore » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 pm

Looking at some new documentation, in addition to the normal mfi buttons and controls, let and right clickable thumb sticks, etc, iOS 13 adds a menu and start button. (Basically all Xbox controller buttons are supported except for the Xbox button itself I believe.)

https://developer.apple.com/documentati ... dedgamepad
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby J2Kbr » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:37 am

Capt moore wrote:As long as the titan two can fool the iOS device into thinking it is either an Xbox one or ps4 controller (connected via Bluetooth, not WiFi direct) it should work.

This is a really good news. The Titan Two can already -without doubt- fully emulated a PS4 controller over Bluetooth.

Capt moore wrote:A question remains how iOS determines the controller is an Xbox or ps4 controller, although it may not matter if using the titan two for scripts (and not trying to hook up other systems controllers.

During the pairing procedure the host (iOS) requests the VID:PID of the device, which can then be used to determine the controller manufacturer and model (Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, etc).
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Capt moore » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 pm

J2Kbr wrote:
Capt moore wrote:As long as the titan two can fool the iOS device into thinking it is either an Xbox one or ps4 controller (connected via Bluetooth, not WiFi direct) it should work.

This is a really good news. The Titan Two can already -without doubt- fully emulated a PS4 controller over Bluetooth.

Capt moore wrote:A question remains how iOS determines the controller is an Xbox or ps4 controller, although it may not matter if using the titan two for scripts (and not trying to hook up other systems controllers.

During the pairing procedure the host (iOS) requests the VID:PID of the device, which can then be used to determine the controller manufacturer and model (Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, etc).

I also read on reddit that there were people on YouTube who used a wired ps4 controller (using either a usb-c iPad, or the Apple usb 3 camera adapter) without any issues, rather than Bluetooth. This is just third hand information, i haven’t watched any videos myself to verify it.

If you are going to add official support,I would also urge you to either create or pass thru Bluetooth VID:PID profile specifically for the Xbox one (Bluetooth) controller, as well as the existing ps4 profile.

The reason why I am asking is that Apple is urging games to give the appropriate buttons when creating gamepad games, for example the apps should show the A,B,X,Y when using an Xbox controller, instead of square, triangle, Cross and circle when a PS4 controller is detected. Think of QuickTime events, or controller configuration menus, they want them to change based on the controller in use.

Hopefully besides game packs, this will also allow us to use other hid devices, such as flight sim controls in X-Plane mobile, mouse/keyboard for controller only iOS games, etc.

It’s an exciting development.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Capt moore » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:22 am

J2Kbr wrote:

I just found the reference to how an iOS app determines which controller you are using, and Apple guidelines state the app should change the in game icons to match whichever controller (Xbox/ps/mfi) is being used. Here is the link directly from Apple, around the 12 minute mark.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/616/

I am not a programmer, but it is great information about the new controller support.

When the titan set to output ps4 Bluetooth mode, does it work by giving the VID:PID info of the Sony controller, despite an Xbox/apex/generic controller being connected?

If that is the case, we will need the titan two to output a mode that sends the VID:PID of the Xbox controller instead to iOS, so the apps can display the correct button icons during use.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Titan Two Device