Have I damaged my new T2?

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Have I damaged my new T2?

Postby pablosscripts » Fri May 31, 2019 2:08 pm

A little while ago I accidentally reversed the polarity of my AC adapter and ruined my last T2. I got this error:

Connect: TITAN TWO [E936FFFF0A25D37F3950303239342020FF190452] connected (Brown-out 1V8)

And the power source was "PROG Port".

So I bought a new one.

Today I saw a heart sinking message on my new T2, it read the same thing "(Brown-out 1V8)"

I'm not sure if I should be freaking out or not. The polarity is 100% in the right direction as I have been very vigilant about this. The biggest difference is this time the power source reads "DC Power Jack". Is my AC adapter damaged but my new T2 is fine? If so I would simply need to buy a new AC adapter? Or have I potentially ruined my new T2 as well?!
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Have I damaged my new T2?

Postby antithesis » Fri May 31, 2019 8:27 pm

Ouch! What power supply are you using?

What were you running into the PROG port on the original T2?
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pablosscripts » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:47 am

Hum I can't remember what adapter, I bought it from Jaycar a few years ago. It worked perfectly fine until I accidentally reversed the polarity.

The power_source() function tells me the AC adapter is working fine too. Also when I toasted my last one, the back of the case bubbled up and melted but this time it's perfectly fine and runs cool.

My theory (I hope!) is that my AC adapter got screwed up last time and my T2 is actually fine, and / or Gtuner IV has some bad cached data and it's still reporting a brownout when it's not actually the case.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Titan 3000 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:00 am

When you messed up your first T2 it probably screwed up your adapter as well. I would definitely replace the adapter.
Titan 3000
Corporal
Corporal

Postby pablosscripts » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:46 am

The "P" LED on the right of the T2 is sometimes orange, but right now it's green and Gtuner IV says "connected (Power -on)". So right now it seems perfectly fine again. Very weird...

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:36 am

Ok a quick update on this. I went to Jaycar today and bought a brand new adapter. I will keep an eye on this to see if the brownout warning comes up again. Fingers crossed it was indeed my adapter that was broken and I haven't caused any permanent damage to my new T2!!!

If this was the cause then I think we'll have all learned a lesson - if you mess up your T2 then you should replace the whole lot, adapter included.

I'll keep you all posted:)

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Scachi » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:18 am

My adapter is still working fine after melting my T2 :wink:
The T2 is also working fine after replacing the burned voltage regulator.
Scachi
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:31 am

Scachi wrote:My adapter is still working fine after melting my T2 :wink:

What's your max voltage? In Australia it's 240v which I've been told is really high compared to other countries. This might play a role in it too.

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:27 am

Sigh. I just got it again. Gtuner IV reads "Connect: TITAN TWO [E936FFFF0A25D37F3950303239342020FF190452] connected (Brown-out 1V8)", "Device Configuration" panel reads "DC Power Jack" (thankfully)...P LED on T2 is correctly lit (green), and power_source() function returns the correct response. So it mostly looks fine but not all of it. I have no idea if this is some cached data, some false positive or I've actually damaged my T2. Hopefully J2kbr can chime in on this.

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Scachi » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:35 am

pablosscripts wrote:
Scachi wrote:My adapter is still working fine after melting my T2 :wink:

What's your max voltage? In Australia it's 240v which I've been told is really high compared to other countries. This might play a role in it too.

230V AC, I don't think that matters. The power supply will output only the voltage set and it wasn't a failure of the power supply after all.

About the brownout, j2kbr posted this information viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12097&p=83754#p83759
Reset due brownout voltage is a safety measure. This means if the micro-controller detects a voltage value below a threshold it will enter in reset state until the voltage gets back to the operational level.

Brownout reset can be caused when the power source is not capable to provide enough power to all connected devices.

What do you have connected to your T2 ? Maybe you have a bad cable in one of your connections causing issues.
Scachi
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Next

Return to Titan Two Device