Have I damaged my new T2?

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Re: Have I damaged my new T2?

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:50 am

Yup looks like it was a false alarm. It's just that it happened so close to my first T2 being toasted that I thought it must be related. Pure coincidence by the look of it.

Also, I'm totally clueless when it comes to electronics so you'll have to forgive my amateur theorising haha!!

That being said, even if it was a dodgy cable, as per J2Kbr's post, DC power should take precedence over USB power. Therefore, if you have both DC + USB connected, shouldn't that prevent any dodgy USB cables from triggering this message? Seems like a bug to me.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Scachi » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:14 am

pablosscripts wrote:Yup looks like it was a false alarm. It's just that it happened so close to my first T2 being toasted that I thought it must be related. Pure coincidence by the look of it.

Also, I'm totally clueless when it comes to electronics so you'll have to forgive my amateur theorising haha!!

That being said, even if it was a dodgy cable, as per J2Kbr's post, DC power should take precedence over USB power. Therefore, if you have both DC + USB connected, shouldn't that prevent any dodgy USB cables from triggering this message? Seems like a bug to me.

I don't know how the sensing of the power sources works.
A faulty cable or plug can also connect some wires to each other where there should be no connection, causing a short or lag in communication/sensing of the inputs or may result in unpredicted voltage fluctuations that gets caught by the firmware as brownout. I think only J2kbr knows about all possible causes for the T2 that can result in the brownout message to appear.
Scachi
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:32 am

Hum the mystery deepens.

I had a whole bunch of USB extenders and switches and adapters connected. I got rid of all of them, leaving only the bare necessary cables (all of which are the official high quality T2 cables) and I'm still getting the brown out message!
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Scachi » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:05 pm

pablosscripts wrote:Hum the mystery deepens.

I had a whole bunch of USB extenders and switches and adapters connected. I got rid of all of them, leaving only the bare necessary cables (all of which are the official high quality T2 cables) and I'm still getting the brown out message!

Did you add any other devices to your houses power supply ? Like an air conditioner, washing machine, or smaller device that uses the same fuse where your equipment is connected to ?
The flat where I live in has a really bad power / fuse layout. When I connect a small low wattage handheld drill , dremel like, the light in my living room flickers a very short time when I turn the drill on. It doesn't matter which socket in the room I use..they are all connected to the same fuse. It depends more on the type of the machine than on the wattage. I don't know if the small power supplies will get affacted by this small hickup and can cause that. Never had the T2 in use with a power supply plus gtuner running when I was using the drill. :innocent_smile_1:

Hopefully j2kbr has an idea what migth be wrong, if its a bug or a problem.
Scachi
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:04 pm

If having the Titan Two plugged via USB PROG or OUTPUT and then plug the external power supply the device can report brown out voltage as the reset cause, as the procedure of physically insert the power plug mechanically disconnects the other power sources. However, this is normal and expected, nothing to worry. :wink: :smile0517:
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Scachi wrote:
pablosscripts wrote:Yup looks like it was a false alarm. It's just that it happened so close to my first T2 being toasted that I thought it must be related. Pure coincidence by the look of it.

I don't know how the sensing of the power sources works.
A faulty cable or plug can also connect some wires to each other where there should be no connection, causing a short or lag in communication/sensing of the inputs or may result in unpredicted voltage fluctuations that gets caught by the firmware as brownout. I think only J2kbr knows about all possible causes for the T2 that can result in the brownout message to appear.

Yeah for a while there I thought this might be the cause. I live in like a 100 year old terrace with super old wiring, and I only recently moved all my hardware to a different room.

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:36 pm

J2Kbr wrote:If having the Titan Two plugged via USB PROG or OUTPUT and then plug the external power supply the device can report brown out voltage as the reset cause, as the procedure of physically insert the power plug mechanically disconnects the other power sources. However, this is normal and expected, nothing to worry. :wink: :smile0517:

Thanks for that. Is this something that could be changed? I think the brownout message should be displayed only when it's genuine as it can be pretty distressing for people to see. Or maybe it's too hard due to false positives?

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:38 am

pablosscripts wrote:
J2Kbr wrote:If having the Titan Two plugged via USB PROG or OUTPUT and then plug the external power supply the device can report brown out voltage as the reset cause, as the procedure of physically insert the power plug mechanically disconnects the other power sources. However, this is normal and expected, nothing to worry. :wink: :smile0517:

Thanks for that. Is this something that could be changed? I think the brownout message should be displayed only when it's genuine as it can be pretty distressing for people to see. Or maybe it's too hard due to false positives?

I will check what can be done to avoid this false positive. :smile0517:
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:00 am

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Previous

Return to Titan Two Device