Are my Bluetooth issues normal/expected?

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Are my Bluetooth issues normal/expected?

Postby vgiffin » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:31 pm

I’ve had my Titan Two for quite some time with no issues. Well, the only issue was that the wired connection was a drag, so I recently purchased the Expansion Kit.

I installed the Expansion Kit a couple weeks ago, and I’m noticing some weird behaviors. I’d love to hear from others if this is expected.

My setup is very simple. The Titan Two is connected via USB from the “Output” port to my PS4. I have another micro-USB cable on “Input-A” where I connect my PS4 controller as needed.

The first issue I’m seeing is that I have to power on my PS4 first by hand (i.e. using the button on the console) with the Titan Two plugged in, then plug the controller into Input-A and push the PS button on the controller, then unplug the controller (turning it off), then push the PS button on the controller and get the (expected) blue light. If I deviate from these steps, I’m not able to establish a Bluetooth connection between the controller and the Titan Two. Just pushing the PS button on the controller gives me the pale blue flashing light (like it’s trying to pair) without turning on the console. Which is probably expected. Just turning on the console by hand then pressing the PS button on the controller seems to make the controller connect directly to the console as Player 2 (red light), not to the Titan Two. Is there a way to turn on the PS4 and connect via Bluetooth to the Titan Two without having to plug the controller in to the Titan Two?

The second issue I have, which is the bigger one, is that the controller seems to disconnect randomly. This seems to happen more often when I leave a game paused for a while, but that might just seem to be the case because of the time elapsed. When it happens during game play the game continues without any input, despite furious button mashing, so I have to pounce on the Titan Two to unplug it from the PS4, causing a controller disconnect and pausing the game. I have tried re-seating the Expansion Kit card as well as re-flashing the firmware in GTuner IV. Am I doing something wrong?
vgiffin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Are my Bluetooth issues normal/expected?

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 am

vgiffin wrote:The first issue I’m seeing is that I have to power on my PS4 first by hand (i.e. using the button on the console) with the Titan Two plugged in, then plug the controller into Input-A and push the PS button on the controller, then unplug the controller (turning it off), then push the PS button on the controller and get the (expected) blue light. If I deviate from these steps, I’m not able to establish a Bluetooth connection between the controller and the Titan Two.

By doing this steps the controller is connecting the the PS4 console and not to the Titan Two.

First: please check if the PS4 is configured to use USB communication, as the following:

Settings → Devices → Controllers → Communication Method: Use USB Cable.

Second: check if the Bluetooth Module was recognized by the Titan Two. Connect the Titan Two to computer and open Gtuner IV, then go to the “Device Configuration” panel and check the “Bluetooth Module” status, if it show “HCI H4 (4Mbps)” means the module was successfully initialized and it is operational.
BTModule.png
BTModule.png (10 KiB) Viewed 1307 times

Please let me know what is shown with your device.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby vgiffin » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:39 am

Thanks for your help here.

I don't see the "Communication Method" setting. With the controller plugged directly into the PS4 (no Titan Two) I see this…
20191202192459.jpg
controller
20191202192459.jpg (118.3 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

With the controller plugged into the Titan Two via USB and the Titan Two plugged into the PS4 I see this…
20191202192541.jpg
titantwo
20191202192541.jpg (98.72 KiB) Viewed 1291 times

I do see the HCI H4 in Gtuner IV when plugged into the PROG port…
GtunerIV.png
gtuneriv
GtunerIV.png (51.96 KiB) Viewed 1291 times
vgiffin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:04 pm

vgiffin wrote:I don't see the "Communication Method" setting. With the controller plugged directly into the PS4 (no Titan Two) I see this…

Thank you for checking, your controller possible is the original version. That is why there is no Communication Method option.

Please try pair your controller with the Titan Two following the Method B as described here:

https://www.consoletuner.com/wiki/index ... _bluetooth

After the pairing procedure, turn off the controller and then press the PS button to check if the controller is connecting with the Titan Two.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby vgiffin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:54 am

Thanks for sharing this link, I hadn’t found this previously. It seems that I am using Pairing Method A every time (i.e. for Regular Use). Which works, but does not persist across reboots.

I tried using Paring Method B per your suggestion. Holding the UP button on the Titan Two just shows a number (e.g. “3” for the third memory slot) upon release after 2.5 seconds with no indication that it is in a paring mode of any kind (i.e. it just continues cycling though “A” and “U” on this display). I was able to get the controller into paring mode as expected, but it did not pair with the Titan Two, eventually timing out and turning off.
vgiffin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 am

The button you should press is the one at your right hand. After hold it down for 2.5sec the display will start showing the pairing mode animation.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby vgiffin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:00 am

When holding down the right button on the Titan Two for 2.5 seconds I do see a different animation, and I am able to pair the controller. Thank you.

Unfortunately, this also does not persist properly across reboots. When later turning the PS4 back on, the controller connects to the Titan Two as expected but the Titan Two is not communicating with the PS4. I've confirmed that the controller is connected to the Titan Two with a a script that flashes the LED light when pressing buttons on the controller. But there seems to be no inout to the PS4.

Just to confirm, I don't need an external power supply for this configuration; correct?

During my normal usage I often unplug the Titan Two and use that cable to plug in the controller for charging after putting the PS4 in sleep mode. Could that be an issue here?
vgiffin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:49 am

vgiffin wrote:During my normal usage I often unplug the Titan Two and use that cable to plug in the controller for charging after putting the PS4 in sleep mode. Could that be an issue here?

If the Titan Two is connected to the PS4 console (wired), and you connect the controller also wired to the Titan Two, this will cause the pairing with the Titan Two be replaced with pairing with the PS4 console.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby vgiffin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Okay. So it seems the pairing might be a little clunky, but no big deal. It's easy enough to just plug in to pair.

For my second issue, where the controller seems to disconnect randomly, am I doing something wrong or is the Expansion Kit not functioning as intended?
vgiffin
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mad » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:53 pm

vgiffin wrote:For my second issue, where the controller seems to disconnect randomly, am I doing something wrong or is the Expansion Kit not functioning as intended?

While using bluetooth you will need another DS4 plugged in to input B to authenticate with the console otherwise it will disconnect every 10~ mins.
ConsoleTuner Support Team || ConsoleTuner Discord || InputSense Discord (2K / FPS)
Mad
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Titan Two Device