Heating Problems When Output Set to Bluetooth PS4

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Heating Problems When Output Set to Bluetooth PS4

Postby jelly44 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:15 am

Hi folks,

Last night I decided to switch the Output Protocol in my T2 from USB PS4 to Bluetooth PS4 as I'm trying to reduce wires in my setup.

I currently have my DS4 controller connected to the T2 via Bluetooth, the T2 connected to my PC, keyboard connected to PC and mouse connected to the Input-A port (although it's only a USB Bluetooth adapter for the logitech pro mouse), and external power supply connected to the T2 at all times.

After switching the protocols, pairing the T2 to the PS4, I started playing, and then after a few minutes my T2 shuts down, and when I touched it, it was very hot.

I've had heating problems before in other occasions and I have written here in the forum.

I really would like to use the T2 wirelessly in a reliable way, so I am trying to pin point what really must be the issue.

Perhaps the Bluetooth module is faulty? The external power supply?

I'd appreciate any help on this. :smile0517:
- My recommendation for learning C programming: 'C Programming Absolute Beginner's Guide'
- Create your own scripts with GPC2 Scripting
jelly44
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Heating Problems When Output Set to Bluetooth PS4

Postby Mad » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:31 am

jelly44 wrote:I currently have my DS4 controller connected to the T2 via Bluetooth, the T2 connected to my PC, keyboard connected to PC and mouse connected to the Input-A port (although it's only a USB Bluetooth adapter for the logitech pro mouse), and external power supply connected to the T2 at all times.

Try a small usb extension cable for the adapter so that it is not directly inserted into the T2.

What are the specs of your power supply?

Did you run into power issues and then add the power supply in? Just curious as the extra power supplied from the PROG port should be perfectly fine for that setup. A power supply will also contribute to heat, though not any amount that should be cause for concern.
ConsoleTuner Support Team || ConsoleTuner Discord || InputSense Discord (2K / FPS)
Mad
Major General
Major General

Postby jelly44 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:42 am

Hi Mad:

Try a small usb extension cable for the adapter so that it is not directly inserted into the T2.

Understood. I can use the original receiver connected directly to the T2. I've been using the extension which came with it as it's recommended to have the mouse around 20cm (if I recall correctly) from the receiver to ensure optimal performance.

What are the specs of your power supply?

This is the one I have: it's in German but google chrome does its magic ;)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01KFUCF9I/ref ... E_SCE_dp_1

Did you run into power issues and then add the power supply in?

Not really - when I switched to kb & m, the kb was also plugged to the T2 via the OTG cable. Since it has lights, I was advised to use the external power supply. At the moment I can use the KMG capture, but since the laptop I use is not mine, I may have to revert back to the OTG cable in the future.
- My recommendation for learning C programming: 'C Programming Absolute Beginner's Guide'
jelly44

Postby jelly44 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:03 am

I tried yesterday with the receiver connected directly into the T2 (without the extension, which by the way is very long) and it did not overheat. I will keep you updated. Thanks for the tip, Mad!
jelly44

Postby Scachi » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:32 am

What is the voltage you switched your power supply to ?
The correct to use is DC 7.5V (inner positive). I can use mine with a power supply all day long without is getting shut down because of heat. It gets quite warm, but not too hot to touch/hold.

Using the PS4 bluetooth output protocol I have nothing but bad experience. Perhaps you issues are not caused by the power supply but by using bluetooth output protocol ?
I am getting E4 errors sometimes and disconnects. I switched back to using a wired connection from my T2 to my PS4pro and have no issues anymore.
I tried getting it fixed and opened issues on github and J2kbr tried to help, but I gave up and returned to using it wired.
Perhaps it is something in my flat that causes the bluetooth issues, don't know. I stopped spending time trying to fix it as it seems nobody else seems to have the bt problems.
Scachi
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby jelly44 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:48 am

Hey Scachi,

What is the voltage you switched your power supply to ?

I'm using 7.5V DC, too.

I can use mine with a power supply all day long without is getting shut down because of heat. It gets quite warm, but not too hot to touch/hold.

Last night I played for around 2 hours and had no issues after I connected the mouse receiver directly to the T2. I'll try to play more on Sunday to see if it works well. As a test, I'll leave the T2 on today via the external power supply just to see what happens. I have a feeling issues only happen when it's paired.

Using the PS4 bluetooth output protocol I have nothing but bad experience. Perhaps you issues are not caused by the power supply but by using bluetooth output protocol ?

It could be, I'm just trying to pin point what the issue really is.

I am getting E4 errors sometimes and disconnects.

The E4 error I only got it when using Bluetooth Output Protocol while using the COD Gamepack. After switching back to USB PS4 Protocol the issue went away. I haven't had any disconnects issue, only when the T2 shuts down obviously.

I stopped spending time trying to fix it as it seems nobody else seems to have the bt problems

This is my last try, too. I'm just trying to get rid of as many wires as possible. It's already nice I can pair the DS4 controller via Bluetooth without issues.
jelly44

Postby jelly44 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:27 am

Mad - since I plugged the USB receiver directly into PORT A without the extension, I haven't experienced any issues . So that's a plus! Perhaps it takes too much electricity to power the cords? Who knows.

So, I'm just trying to figure out a way to bring my T2 closer to my mouse now. My monitor (27GL850-B) has two 3.0 downstream USB ports at the back. I did connect the T2's program port to one of those ports and it worked. I am just wondering if it'd be detrimental to the T2's performance to have it connected to the USB ports in the monitor rather than connecting it directly into my laptop for KMG capture purposes. What do you think?
jelly44

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:12 am

jelly44 wrote:I am just wondering if it'd be detrimental to the T2's performance to have it connected to the USB ports in the monitor rather than connecting it directly into my laptop for KMG capture purposes. What do you think?

It should work normally, with no performance issue. You can use the USB port from the monitor. :smile0517: for the best results while using KMG Capture, be sure the PROG port is running at high Speed (480Mbps). you can check on Gtuner IV -> Device Configuration panel.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby jelly44 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:14 am

Thank you, J2Kbr!
jelly44

Return to Titan Two Device