"USB Logitech Steering Wheel" Output Protocol broken?

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

"USB Logitech Steering Wheel" Output Protocol broken?

Postby Eugen » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:57 am

"USB Logitech Steering Wheel" output protocol does not seem to work anymore. I'm using Fanatec CSL Elite PS4 in Purple compatibility mode. The Titan Two combo (Wheel and DualShock4) in "USB Logitech Steering Wheel" protocol is not recognized in games at all, only in Playstation Menu. When the output protocol is set to "USB Playstation 4", then it works but as a controller not a wheel.

It was working before with same equipment and configuration. The only changes I've made I'm aware of are firmware update and Bluetooth Module installation.

I think the problem is somewhere around there:

Touch P1 and Touch P2 are at 100, yellow INPUT and green OUTPUT. They should be at 0. Without the wheel attached to Titan Two they are only triggered when touching the pad, as they should.

I tried to fixed it with "set_val(BUTTON_19, 0); set_val(BUTTON_20, 0);" Screenshot is after that.
That got USB A to be recognized in games at all, as a strange device but not as a wheel. So it's not just Touch P1/P2 but Titan Two does not recognize the wheel properly for whatever reason.

Does anybody know what the problem is and how fix that?
Attachments
touch.png
touch.png (100.92 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
Eugen
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: "USB Logitech Steering Wheel" Output Protocol broken?

Postby J2Kbr » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:13 pm

In your screenshot (thank you for including) I noticed both controllers at USB A and USB B are being recognized as "PlayStation 4". I assume one of these is your wheel. Please configure the wheel to "PC mode / compatibility mode" in order for the Titan Two load the correct input device driver.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Eugen » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:33 pm

Thank you for your response.

Wheel is already in Logitech G29 Compatibility mode (purple). In native CSL Elite PS4 mode (blue) it also appears as "PlayStation 4". Worth noting that the wheel is supported on PS4 in those both modes: blue (native) and purple (as G29). In old ClubSport mode (yellow) and PC mode (red) it appears as "HID:G" in Gtuner and is not supported on PS4 directly.

I got everything working couple months ago. Since then, those things could have changed:
* Titan Two firmware update
* Gtuner Update
* Bluetooth module installed
* Maybe a Wheel firmware update
* Sony Playstation System update
* Games updates, but in all games tested it didn't work

The most probable candidate is Titan Two firmware update. Unless there are no real changes in this regard. Is there a way to install an older version to test it and eliminate other possibilities?

Couple other ideas:

Can HID Descriptors have changed? Because of wheel firmware update, etc. Should I provide HID Descriptors?

Can Bluetouth Module cause issues? Only used for PS4 controller. Should I remove it or deactivate it? How? Does it need special configuration/attention?

Connecting wheel to USB A/B? It is connected to USB A.

How to properly power on the wheel and connecting to Titan Two? It has a calibration routine after powering on. First powering on and after calibration connecting to wheel to Titan Two? Or the other way around? Does it matter?

Do I understand correctly that if in Gtuner the wheel is labeled as "PlayStation 4 [IN]" then the wheel is recognized as PS4 DualShock controller? Which I assume is not correct.
Eugen
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby Prototype » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:08 am

I tried the USB Logitech Steering Wheel Output Protocol today and it worked fine for me in GT Sport. Just a strange thing that i noticed is when i plugged the wheel (DFPRO) in the Titan Two it was detected as "HID IN" then i unplugged/replugged the Titan Two's power supply and it was instantly detected as "Steering Wheel DFPRO IN". Apart from that everything works.
Console tuner since my 1st controller.
Scripting, a game in the game.
Believe or dare, It's Titanic! :smile0517:
Prototype
Major General
Major General

Postby Eugen » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:51 pm

It was also working before in my case. Now it doesn't.

Here is the complete list what has been changed in the past months:
* Gtuner Update
* Bluetooth module installed
* Maybe a Wheel firmware update
* Sony Playstation System update
* Games updates, but in all games tested it didn't work

Bluetooth Module removed. It was not the problem.
If it's working in your case: Very unlikely it's Sony System Update or Game update.
Gtuner Update should not affect firmware (detached when playing). Not the problem.

Remains:
* Wheel firmware update

How can I install older firmware on Titan Two?
Eugen
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby Prototype » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:36 am

Eugen wrote:Can HID Descriptors have changed? Because of wheel firmware update, etc. Should I provide HID Descriptors?

I don't think HID Descriptors can change like that, it's a descriptor that lists all supported features of the wheel.
Eugen wrote:Can Bluetouth Module cause issues? Only used for PS4 controller. Should I remove it or deactivate it? How? Does it need special configuration/attention?

I don't think that the Bluetouth Module can cause issues because it's not involved in the Steering Wheel Output. You can leave it plugged in all the time.
Eugen wrote:Connecting wheel to USB A/B? It is connected to USB A.

In my case the wheel alone can be plugged in USB A or B, there is no difference. The Steering Wheel Output Protocol appears to have it's own authentication build inside so i don't need to have a DS4 plugged in for authentication. But if there is two controllers plugged the wheel must be in USB A to take priority.
Eugen wrote:How to properly power on the wheel and connecting to Titan Two? It has a calibration routine after powering on. First powering on and after calibration connecting to wheel to Titan Two? Or the other way around? Does it matter?

The calibration routine is done at each connection and is handled by the wheel's firmware. I don't think that matters.
Eugen wrote:Do I understand correctly that if in Gtuner the wheel is labeled as "PlayStation 4 [IN]" then the wheel is recognized as PS4 DualShock controller? Which I assume is not correct.

Yes "PlayStation 4 [IN]" means that the wheel is recognized as PS4 DualShock controller.
With a wheel you should see something like that:
Steering Wheel.PNG
Steering Wheel.PNG (3.97 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
Prototype
Major General
Major General

Postby Eugen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:34 pm

@prototype:
Thanks for addressing the questions.
Eugen
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby Eugen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:48 pm

Some more info...

Wheel (Fanatec CSL Elite PS4) has 4 modes:
blue: PS4 native
purple: PS4 compatibility (Logitech G29)
red: PC native
yellow: PC compatibility (older native model)

Blue and purple are supported on PS4 out the box. As far as I understand they can authenticate within Titan Two and probably do so. That could potentially lead to the situation where the wheel is recognized as a PS4 DualShock controller.

The same setup was working with an older Titan Two firmware, probably before the whole PS5 compatibility, in case it's relevant.

I have a feeling that the wheel is recognized as a PS4 DualShock controller regardless of the output protocol. The result is what one would expect: Force Feedback is missing, pedals not working and button mapping for DualShock controller.

In the screenshots the DualShock controller is disconnected. It was tested with the DualShock attached though.

One interesting fact I've noticed that I'm quite sure was different before (compared to when it was working) is what happens on first input. I try to describe it:
In PC native mode (red), when connecting, INPUT/OUTPUT table is white. Upon pressing any input on the wheel, then the INPUT/OUTPUT are changed and thus marked yellow/green.
In PS4 native (blue) and PS4 compatibility (purple) it's similar but with addition. First it's all white. Upon pressing any input, it first quickly flashes similar or same to as in red mode, then becomes white, and then Touch P1/P2 becomes yellow/green. It happens all within less than a second.
What is being shown as yellow/green is physically not even touched.

I tried reattaching Titan Two while in the game, also switching between modes. Didn't help.

Not exactly sure but there is probably no difference between PS4 native (blue) and PS4 compatibility (purple) modes right now. When it was working before there was a huge difference: in blue mode it was not usable at all (probably like now), and in purple it was working as Logitech G29.

It would be fine if I could revert the firmware to an older Titan Two firmware for now. How can it be done?

I will update to a newer Wheel firmware and test it. I could also install an older one, in case it could make a difference. Let me know.

I imagine it's difficult to debug some of the things when a particular device is not at hand. I could provide further info and do specific tests if needed. Just let me know.
Attachments
red_PC_native.png
red (PC native)
red_PC_native.png (98.13 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
blue_PS4_native__and__purple_PS4_Logitech_G29.png
blue (PS4 native) and purple (PS4 Logitech G29)
blue_PS4_native__and__purple_PS4_Logitech_G29.png (81.25 KiB) Viewed 1231 times
Eugen
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Postby Prototype » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:18 am

fanatec.com wrote:* The wheel has to be set into compatibility mode (engage by long pressing the mode button) to play the game. Set the wheel into this mode at the dashboard of the Playstation 4 and start the game by the controls on the wheel. In yellow mode (*) it might be necessary that you start the game using your gamepad/controller and then confirm the wheel as your input device with a button press at the launch screen of the game. In most cases the game will ask for pressing the "x" Button.

New games should have built our official licensed PS4 SDK into the game to make it possible using standard PS4™ mode (blue LED) directly. The SDK will be provided by Fanatec to every game/simulation developer.

Important I:
Games CAN use our extended features (like display, rev-leds, vibrations, handbrake, etc.) if they are included by the game developers. This does not necessarily mean that all features are present/available in every simulation.

Important II:
This list is only for the "CSL Elite Wheel Base +"

I think the configuration may change depending on the game.
Eugen wrote:It was also working before in my case. Now it doesn't.

I can see in your red_PC_native screenshot that it is detected as HID:G.
Do you remember what was written in the Device Monitor when it was working ?

• HID:G = Gamepad ?
  • HID:K = Keyboard ?
  • HID = All others ?
I'm not sure about that but in your case it should be HID. I think that's why it is detected as "a strange device but not as a wheel" like you said. It may be required to use a dedicated HID file to fully support the CSL Elite Wheel but it's strange that it was working before.
Prototype
Major General
Major General

Postby Eugen » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:58 pm

When wheel is connected directly (without Titan Two) PS4 supports native PS4 mode (blue) and Logitech G29 mode (purple). Red and yellow are not working on PS4 when connected directly.

With Titan Two it was working only in purple compatibility mode. So basically it was like I was connecting a Logitech G29. In Device Monitor it was probably "Steering Wheel G29", as far as I remember. Almost certain it was only something with "HID" when it was not working (in red and yellow modes). Not sure what it was in blue mode, probably "HID" or "Playstation 4".

As far as I understand, it was working before because of the Logitech G29 compatibility mode (purple) which Titan Two should support and did support. It might be that Logitech G29 is also not working right now. Maybe someone can confirm if it's working or not.

My goal is to make assistants/automation for racing games, so I need at least the support for Logitech G29.

What would make me really happy is if the wheel would also work in native mode, i.e. blue or red, because Force Feedback and features are better than in purple compatibility mode (emulating Logitech G29) or yellow mode (emulating some older Fanatec wheel).

What is needed to make it work in native mode (or at least compatibility mode)? I guess it involves creating that dedicated HID file. If I could be of help somehow, let me know.
Eugen
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Next

Return to Titan Two Device