Using one controller with two consoles simultaneously

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Using one controller with two consoles simultaneously

Postby Flea123 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:46 pm

Hi there,
I am a recent purchaser of the Titan Two, and I have a very specific/peculiar use for it.
I saw this video a couple weeks ago of a guy using a Titan One to control his PS4 and Switch simultaneously with one Dualshock 4:

His DS4 was sending inputs via wired USB through the Titan One to the Switch, and via bluetooth to the PS4.

This is something I'd really like to take advantage of. I am an idiot who likes to unlock trophies and achievements, and am foolish enough to own two versions of the same game. If I could play the PS3 and 360 version of a game at the same time with one controller, that would be super convenient!

Unfortunately, I was unable to replicate this with a Dualshock 3 connected to a 360 via USB to the Titan Two and bluetooth to the PS3. When I plugged my DS3 into the T2 via USB and into the 360, the controller desynced with the PS3 and inputs were only received by the 360.
Is there any way for me to maintain a bluetooth connection with my PS3 while it's connected via USB to the T2 plugged into the 360?
Would I have better luck if I used a Dualshock 4 by any chance?

Sorry if this is something that already has a tutorial here! Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Flea123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Using one controller with two consoles simultaneously

Postby WaffleHouse2t2 » Tue May 04, 2021 4:10 pm

Hmmm, can't say anything from experience but ...

-- Connect your T2 to Gtuner and see if you can manually activate the USB and BT outputs at the same time. May need a script to do this for game play. May need to power the T2.

-- Get a Y USB cable and another T2. Connect the controller to both T2s with the Y cable, connect each T2 to a console. Might need Gtuner to configure each T2 properly.

-- Maybe just the T1 can do this. Get a T1. May need Gtuner to activate outputs.

A possible problem may be the player character in one console will lose sync with the other. One may walk a bit faster, there may be a random component in the game and a bad guy pops up on one console and not the other, menu options may be in a different order, etc..

For the physical USB connections, I suggest all power connections for all devices involved (Titan, console, display, sound, etc.) are plugged into the one power strip. Add up the amps and watts, don't overload the outlet or power strip. What I'm trying to prevent is a ground loop. Most homes have only one common ground connection, but if yours does not and you happen to cross the two, life can get waaay more interesting than you want it to be.

Let us know what worked and what didn't work.
Human beings make life so interesting.
Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom.
-- Death in Terry Pratchett's "Hogfather"
WaffleHouse2t2
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Flea123 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:51 pm

WaffleHouse2t2 wrote:Hmmm, can't say anything from experience but ...

-- Connect your T2 to Gtuner and see if you can manually activate the USB and BT outputs at the same time. May need a script to do this for game play. May need to power the T2.

-- Get a Y USB cable and another T2. Connect the controller to both T2s with the Y cable, connect each T2 to a console. Might need Gtuner to configure each T2 properly.

-- Maybe just the T1 can do this. Get a T1. May need Gtuner to activate outputs.

A possible problem may be the player character in one console will lose sync with the other. One may walk a bit faster, there may be a random component in the game and a bad guy pops up on one console and not the other, menu options may be in a different order, etc..

For the physical USB connections, I suggest all power connections for all devices involved (Titan, console, display, sound, etc.) are plugged into the one power strip. Add up the amps and watts, don't overload the outlet or power strip. What I'm trying to prevent is a ground loop. Most homes have only one common ground connection, but if yours does not and you happen to cross the two, life can get waaay more interesting than you want it to be.

Let us know what worked and what didn't work.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm not sure how I'd manually activate USB and Bluetooth at the same time, but that could certainly be one way to go about it!

Another idea I had was if I were to buy a second device (perhaps a Titan One), would it be possible for me to have two instances of Gtuner open (one for the Titan Two and one for the Titan One)? That way I could plug one into the PS3, one into the 360, then have both Gtuners mapped to the same controller inputs. Does that seem realistic?
Ideally, I'd prefer not to have to buy two devices but that might be one way to work around it, haha!
Perhaps this method only works with a Dualshock 4?
Flea123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby WaffleHouse2t2 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:01 pm

Gtuner is a program you run on your computer (Mac or Win) that allows you to write and load scripts and configure your Titan. You do not *need* Gtuner when using your Titan between the controller and console. I suspect that one could connect Gtuner in a regular controller/ Titan/ console set-up and do strange and wondrous things. I think most folk use Gtuner in an off-line mode, to handle scripts and such, but I may be wrong.

For what you are attempting, the zero cost way would be to try to activate USB and BT outputs, assuming you already have a computer you can run Gtuner on. You'll also learn about Gtuner.

I do not know if one instance of Gtuner can handle multiple Titans at the same time. If one Gtuner can handle multiple Titans, super! If not, then can one run multiple instances of Gtuner on one computer, each connected to a different Titan? If not, then one will have to connect the Titans one at a time or get multiple computers.

You are on a little explored frontier of Titan space. You may want to occasionally update this thread with what works and what doesn't work, so that others don't have to re-invent the same square wheels.
WaffleHouse2t2
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Flea123 » Sun May 09, 2021 11:41 am

Well, I did some more reading up on the Titan Two, and it turns out that you can have multiple windows of Gtuner opened at once, one for each device. I managed to get my hands on a second Titan Two to experiment with, so I plugged one into each console, plugged in a controller each for authentication, then plugged both into my computer and opened up two windows of Gtuner.
I clicked on KMG Capture in both windows for each device, selected the same controller plugged into my PC for each, entered capture mode on both, and voila, I was controlling two consoles with one controller... An expensive way to tackle a very specific request, haha!

I'm very happy it ended up working! Thank you very much for your help, Wafflehouse! As you mentioned, it's not a perfect solution, seeing as enemy AI is going to act differently in each instance of the game, but you can always readjust each console with the individual controllers you use to authenticate each device.

I don't have the bluetooth adapter so I'm not able to test if that would work, but according to what I've read online, the Titan Two will only work with one console at a time. Perhaps what we saw in the Youtube video above might have been a particular quirk of the DS4 paired with the PS4 via bluetooth and plugged into the Switch? I can't say for sure! Perhaps somebody else has some insight into that!
Flea123
Private First Class
Private First Class

Postby WaffleHouse2t2 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:17 pm

If you do get it working on two consoles, you may want to develop a script to assist with re-sync: a key that pauses both consoles; keys to pause and resume individual consoles. Consider using a keyboard or keypad to signal to the script the various pauses and resumes.

Probably something like: you notice that you've lost sync; pause both consoles; figure out what to do; resume the first console; fix the problem in the first console; pause the first console again; resume the second console; fix the problem in the second console; resume the first console; and finally carry on again in parallel ... until the next loss of sync. I suspect that after a while most times you'll be able to pause just one console, correct, get synced, resume, and continue.
WaffleHouse2t2
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Titan Two Device