Xbox controller and wireless adapter disconnect daily

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Xbox controller and wireless adapter disconnect daily

Postby Squidward » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:57 pm

GitHub issue:
https://github.com/J2Kbr/TitanTwo/issues/306

Here's my current setup:
Code: Select all
Xbox Elite Series 2 > Xbox One Wireless Adapter (Gen 2) > Titan Two > Output port > Gaming pc
                                                                    > Prog port   > Macbook laptop

I made the switch to playing on PC April of last year from Xbox. Prior to switching from Xbox and to this very day, almost every single day my Xbox controller disconnects from the wireless adapter. The frequency in which it happens each day has been happening less often ever since the firmware update that was pushed to the T2 several months ago, but it's still a daily issue for me. I have tested this with both a first gen Xbox wireless adapter as well as the second gen. Both experience the same issue as frequently as each other. I primarily play Apex and it almost always happens while in the middle of playing. There are many other times where I turn on my computer, launch my game (whether it's Apex, Halo, or Star Wars BF2), and my controller isn't paired to the wireless adapter. 99% of the time that the wireless adapter disconnects from the controller, I have to spend several minutes trying to get the adapter to properly initialize with Windows 10 to allow me to pair the controller. It has been so exhausting the number of times this has happened for well over a year.

It's never as simple as just turning off my controller and pulling the wireless adapter from the T2 and then plugging it back in. It's also basically never as simple as just unplugging the T2 and plugging it back in. And believe it or not, it's also almost never as simple as connecting my controller directly to the T2's Input port with a cable, waiting for it to all turn green, and then plug my wireless adapter in that Input port instead. 90% of the time I try doing that very basic step from the T2's instructions, the wireless adapter still fails to initialize with Windows 10 and I get a red LED on the Input port. What I have found is that when I hook up the T2 to the pc, that an Xbox One Controller device appears in the Windows 10 Device manager. But then when I hook up the wireless adapter (and it successfully initializes/authorizes as a controller with Windows), a second Xbox One Controller appears in the Device Manager. Here's a screenshot. I am not sure about this, but I have a theory that these devices in the Device Manager may have something (if not everything) to do with why the wireless adapter has such a hard time authenticating as a controller to Windows through the T2. But I don't know for sure. My theory is that when the controller gets unpaired from the wireless adapter, trying to power cycle the wireless adapter, the T2, or both, causes Windows to get mixed up about which Xbox One Controller device in the Device Manager is the correct one. I even came up with a system for getting my adapter to properly authenticate/initialize with Windows by disconnecting/reconnecting/deleting those controllers from the Device Manager. But it seems to only be successful ~75% of the time, many times even less.

I'm so frustrated with this. I wish that I could just hook it all up and have it work reliably all the time. And failing that, it would be nice if I could follow the extremely simple setup instructions that are documented for the T2 and have them actually work on the first try more often than 10% of the time.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that the pairing button on the Xbox Wireless Adapter never works. I can push it once or push and hold it down and it never responds or does anything at all.
Squidward
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Titan Two Device