Perfecting G27 button support on PS4! (via T2)

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Perfecting G27 button support on PS4! (via T2)

Postby toasterbath » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:23 am

When I tried my dusty old G27 on GT Sport with the Titan 2, I was blown away! I initially picked up the T2 to convert my arcade stick, so discovering how well the G27 is 'converted' to a G29 is actually amazing and I really need to pay credit where it's due - thank you for this excellent functionality.

Before I begin I want to be clear that my T2 is set to output the steering wheel as it's controller protocol, so the PS4 thinks it's a G29. Further I've searched the forums and discord history and haven't seen anyone mention this issue previously.
The one and only thing that needs adjustment for a perfect conversion is button output for just 2 steering wheel buttons - let me explain. TL;DR: Read just the bold parts below

This is the dial on the G29 - it's a dial with 12 notches.
You can turn it one notch for a small adjustment, two notches for a bigger adjustment and so on.
Here's an example: Brake Bias in Gran Turismo Sport.Turn the G29 dial one notch either way to increase or decrease this value by one, for a minimum value of -6 and a max of +6.
There are more examples as many racing games make use of this control feature but let's move on.

These are the steering wheel buttons on the G27. They are binary - press and they're on, release and they're off.
Currently, two of these binary buttons are mapped to emulate the dial. Button 7 (bottom right) is set to rotate one way, while button 8 (middle right) is set to rotate the other.
The only issue is that these buttons are set to a very aggressive, full turn of the dial with each press.

So if you want to adjust your brake bias slightly from 0 to -2, you will instead end up setting it to -6. If you try to correct this and push the other button, you will end up on the opposite end of the spectrum at +5 or +6.
The only way to work around this is to micro-tap the button for a split millisecond - and even then you will still likely overshoot your mark.

It seems to me that currently, buttons 7 and 8 are mapped to a full, 100% turn of the dial, instead a much shorter, incremental turn as it should be.

My question is: is it possible to make an adjustment such that one press of the G27's buttons registers as one short, notch turn on the G29?

The ideal solution would be - press button 7 or 8 once and the system registers just one 'notch' of dial movement. When holding the button, the initial, short input is registered followed by nothing, so that there is only one notch turned if you accidentally hold it down too long (others may have different preferences though).

For what it's worth, I had a go at the input mapping feature on Gtuner and it doesn't seem to do what I'm after as it only re-maps buttons, it doesn't adjust an outputted sensitivity.
I am thinking perhaps a clever use of macro might be the way - to tune it such that pressing the desired button produces enough input for one notch turn followed by no input.

A friend of mine has a G29 and I am happy to help with testing to perfect this functionality for all future G27 users!
Thanks for reading! I am new to this so if I have missed a tutorial that could have helped I would appreciate if you would link it.
toasterbath
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Perfecting G27 button support on PS4! (via T2)

Postby Mad » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:42 pm

Try this, you can adjust the press time at the very top:
Code: Select all
#define PRESS_TIME_7 40 // BUTTON_7 press time in milliseonds
#define PRESS_TIME_8 40
main {
    set_val(BUTTON_7, 0);
    set_val(BUTTON_8, 0);

if(event_active(BUTTON_7)) combo_run(B7);
    if(event_active(BUTTON_8)) combo_run(B8);
}
combo B7 {
    set_val(BUTTON_7, 100);
    wait(PRESS_TIME_7);
    wait(40);
}
combo B8 {
    set_val(BUTTON_8, 100);
    wait(PRESS_TIME_8);
    wait(40);
}
ConsoleTuner Support Team || ConsoleTuner Discord || InputSense Discord (2K / FPS)
Mad
Major General
Major General

Postby toasterbath » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:26 am

Mad wrote:Try this, you can adjust the press time at the very top:
Code: Select all
#define PRESS_TIME_7 40 // BUTTON_7 press time in milliseonds
#define PRESS_TIME_8 40
main {
    set_val(BUTTON_7, 0);
    set_val(BUTTON_8, 0);

if(event_active(BUTTON_7)) combo_run(B7);
    if(event_active(BUTTON_8)) combo_run(B8);
}
combo B7 {
    set_val(BUTTON_7, 100);
    wait(PRESS_TIME_7);
    wait(40);
}
combo B8 {
    set_val(BUTTON_8, 100);
    wait(PRESS_TIME_8);
    wait(40);
}

Thanks so much for this! I will try it as soon as I've sorted out my separate T2 issues. Incidentally, is it possible to tweak these scripts with Gtuner air? That would make this super quick. Thanks again
toasterbath
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Mad » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:23 pm

toasterbath wrote:Thanks so much for this! I will try it as soon as I've sorted out my separate T2 issues. Incidentally, is it possible to tweak these scripts with Gtuner air? That would make this super quick. Thanks again

It would need an interactive configuration. Let me know if it works for you and I'll add one.
ConsoleTuner Support Team || ConsoleTuner Discord || InputSense Discord (2K / FPS)
Mad
Major General
Major General

Return to Titan Two Device