Can't firmware update Titan One device on Gtuner Pro v3.50

Gtuner Pro general support. Operation, questions, updates, feature request.

Can't firmware update Titan One device on Gtuner Pro v3.50

Postby ninkyo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:05 pm

Hello, I'm running Mac OS X and using VirtualBox to run Windows 7.

My Titan One device is v2.38 and Gtuner Pro v3.50 forces me to update to v2.40

I've already added these USB devices in Virtual Box USB Devices setting:

2508:0003 (Titan One)
2508:8003 (Titan One Bootloader)

It can detect the device but it always fails when flashing.

Either 'Device not found' when the device switches to programming mode, or sometimes 'Timeout no feedback' or similar message.

When I go to Windows' Devices and Printers, it can actually show Titan One (and Unknown Device when in programming mode (2508:8003)).

I've tried various methods such as changing the USB connection to 2.0, to no avail. It's possibly because I'm using the latest OS X (Sierra) with probably additional security or some VirtualBox version with bugs.

If possible, can you please share me Gtuner Pro version that is compatible with Titan One device v2.38 instead? I might not need the latest features in Gtuner Pro v3.50 anyway. I have lost practically one night trying to overcome this issue.
ninkyo
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Can't firmware update Titan One device on Gtuner Pro v3.

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Please try put your Titan One in programming mode (P) before start the windows virtual machine. After connect the device in your mac, double press the reset button with a paperclip to enter in programming mode.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby ninkyo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi J2Kbr, I have read this as a suggestion somewhere in the forum and I have tried it, but it doesn't work for me.

Problem is, if I enter Programming Mode, when I start the Windows virtual machine and run Gtuner Pro, the bottom left always says Device Disconnected (is this supposed to be not the case?). It's only after I exit Programming Mode (by pressing the slot button) that it says 'Titan One Device connected'. After that it'll prompt me to firmware update because of incompatible version. Then it turns the device to Programming Mode automatically when it tries to flash. Then it keeps failing no matter how many times I RETRY. Also, when I goes to Programming Mode, it says on the bottom left Device Disconnected again.

Believe me I've already done the homework (reading existing guides) and tried to be as methodical or hygienic as possible in my various tries before finally posting this.

I've for example tried to disconnect device and restart the Mac before trying this particular method, or remove and re-add the USB devices in VirtualBox settings before starting Windows virtual machine etc.

Inside the Windows virtual machine, the device is shown when Programming Mode in Devices and Printers as Unknown Device (and Titan One when not in programming mode), so there really is no reason for the firmware update wizard not to be able to flash...

Another thing is I only need to press the reset button once to enter programming mode. But I also already tried to double-press nonetheless.

My MacOS is Sierra Version 10.12.1, VirtualBox is Version 5.1.6 r110634, Gtuner Pro v3.50, Titan One device v2.38
ninkyo
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:48 pm

Thank you for the detailed information.

Just to make sure I fully understood the your situation.

Both device modes are correctly detected and working in the Virtual Machine (2508:0003 and 2508:8003).

However, by doing the update, when the devices enters in programming mode, the update window shows an error due not detecting an device in programming mode within the timeout.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby ninkyo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:05 am

Yes, that is exactly right.
ninkyo
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:03 am

thanks I will increase the timeout.

Can you please post a screenshot of the update window after the error? it would help me to determine how long the timeout should be increased based on the printed dots.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby ninkyo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:19 am

Hi J2KBr,

Sure, here it is:

I'm a little skeptical that increasing the timeout makes a difference because to the timeout already feels quite long to me, but I hope it does.
ninkyo
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:14 pm

thanks for the screenshot, I see you have the device in programming mode. What I actually want to see is when the device is in its regular mode. Note the error in your screenshot is due the wizard not able to find the Titan One in regular mode. Thanks.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby ninkyo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:26 pm

I see, okay in timeline style:

Then it goes to the previous post image... where I keep trying ^^;
ninkyo
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks... I will try reproduce that with my wife's Mac and report back here.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Next

Return to Gtuner Pro Support