PS4 DS4 Titan One Bluetooth connection drops out

Titan One general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Re: PS4 DS4 Titan One Bluetooth connection drops out

Postby UK_Wildcats » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:49 pm

I did some testing this weekend with a 2.1 bluetooth adapter. See the below link. I had the same problems with it as I did the 4.0 bluetooth adapters.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003765X38?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:27 am

Thanks for testing and extra info. I've always assumed that the issue was something related with the LE (low energy) aspects of the BT 4.0 standard. The only assumption I still can think to explain this issue is some sort of interference in the same RF band used by Bluetooth (2.4GHz) ... there is a lot devices that operates in this band, such wireless phones, wifi, Xbox 360 wireless receiver, other Bluetooth devices, etc ...
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby UK_Wildcats » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:12 pm

When I get an opportunity, I may go NO RF and power off all electronics except what is necessary for testing.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Kailolo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:57 am

Also having lag with T1 with Bluetooth dongle in COD BO3 on PS4. A class 1 and a class 2 dongle both had same lag. More than 2 feet away or if controller is pointed away from t1/dongle it is laggy!! Wired works fine.
And yes I have speed up settings as suggested using gtuner. Bummer as I bought this instead of a modded controller.
I notice that the lag is when playing game online--not when at main menu screens of ps4. Also noticed that the T1 with the class 1 dongle with 100 meter range!! Had no lag the first day I used it. Second day it is laggy.

Hopefully a firmware fix to T1 can resolve lag issues.
Kailolo
Private
Private

Postby UK_Wildcats » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Kailolo wrote:Also having lag with T1 with Bluetooth dongle in COD BO3 on PS4. A class 1 and a class 2 dongle both had same lag. More than 2 feet away or if controller is pointed away from t1/dongle it is laggy!! Wired works fine.
And yes I have speed up settings as suggested using gtuner. Bummer as I bought this instead of a modded controller.
I notice that the lag is when playing game online--not when at main menu screens of ps4. Also noticed that the T1 with the class 1 dongle with 100 meter range!! Had no lag the first day I used it. Second day it is laggy.

Hopefully a firmware fix to T1 can resolve lag issues.

Please keep in mind that the frequency range of bluetooth is highly populated and congested (i.e. cell phones, printers, wifi, computers, etc). This means a lot of interference can be generated and cause problems.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby iceman1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:25 pm

This message is for J2Kbr.

So I will start off with this. Yes, I purchased a CM+ and yes I will be returning it because it will not work well wirelessly. Well that's out of the way....Currently, Titan or CM+ will not meet my "basic" gaming needs to use a DS4 with my PS4 wirelessly.

I have read plenty of the posts in this forum and controller max forum at bluetooth connections. There is zero doubt that it's unreliable in the current design scheme. You can see my post of trying to have folks help me troubleshoot it. http://device.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152499
Nobody really knows why. *Lagfree operation a reasonable expectation for any device that acts as wireless middleware such as titan one or the new version that is being worked on. I will not be using a wired controller in wireless world. It's like going from a car to the horse and buggy.

IMOP the working theory of interference isn't sound at all. There will always be networked devices in a home, it's simply impossible to avoid. The PS4 itself has a wifi/bluetooth radio that will always be on and people use wireless headsets. The PS4 when connecting to a DS4 controller is 100% reliable a 100% of the time. I have never once experienced controller lag in any shape, way or form. In short, if it was interference then this would happen all the time with a PS4 to DS4 connection and it doesn't. There is no sound Interference evidence. Just and FYI: I play at 15' this is a reasonable distance btw and testing should occur in this range. No testing should occur at desk, the distance is way too close for real-world use. 15' or 20' is what you would want to shoot for.

Here are my theory's on why it becomes laggy:

It's all about the load on the titan one and maybe even the load on the ps4.

1. I notice that any loaded game script will increase the lag. So it's a fair assumption, more load slows down the titan one. However, It's plausible that the PS4 slows down as well?

2. Another question to ask Is the chipset is getting to hot? We know that cpu performance can degrade dramatically when a cpu gets. Would this lag be an affect of the bluetooth dongle/titan one processor getting to hot? Something slows down...because when I load a script the lag increases!!

3. USB 2.0 is simply to slow to support the bluetooth protocol and the titan one? Switching to USB 3.0 would allow 10 times the throughput...This would potentially eliminate on IO bottleneck implicitly. Really hard to say that this the reason but it would be worth investigating. The bluetooth ps4 hardware is directly integrated with the bus, so there is no IO limitation here.

4. All bluetooth dongles are crap and don't have the necessary single reception/strength? :lipssealed: My PS3 Sony playstation headset randomly disconnects. Sony made it; It's USB 2.0 and bluetooth 1.0/2.0. It also disconnected on my PS3 too. So a poor, lower power bluetooth radio could be the culprit here.

5. Performance option to not send gyro information to the PS4 (reduce the load). This information is useless for most games especially FPS. Why not allow it to be disabled???
iceman1
Corporal
Corporal

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:12 pm

Thank you iceman1 for your comments. You basically described the difficulties I encountered while developing wireless support for the PS4 to the Titan One.

The first thing I want to point out is that the PS4 has a high performance Bluetooth module that cannot be compared with any regular Bluetooth dongle. The Bluetooth data flow between the PS4 controller and PS4 console is frighteningly high if compared with any other controller, including the USB data flow of a PS4 controller.

When I first implemented the PS4 controller wireless support the lag was pretty noticeable, something around 200ms. The bottle neck was the Bluetooth dongle (low data flow and high latency) in conjunction with the Titan One's USB full speed interface. So I had to do some voodoo magic to make it work with the hardware available and the result of that was the Speed-up Settings. Note that the these settings pushes the USB and the Bluetooth operation to an area beyond of its specifications. If, at one hand, was possible to use the PS4 controller wirelessly (at usable level), on the other hand I can't really guarantee that it will work with all Bluetooth dongles.

I solved that, in our upcoming device, integrating a high performance/low latency Bluetooth module.

Replying some specifics of your points:

1. Using the PS4 controller wirelessly (with the speed-up settings enabled) will rise the CPU load,as well as scripts or gamepacks. How much this is affecting the lag can be checked on the Device Monitor. If the CPU load is below 100% means the CPU is being able to do all its tasks within 10ms time frame, therefore not causing lag.

2. Different of PC CPUs, the clock of the Titan One's microcontroller is fixed and does not changes based on temperature. So the performance is not affected by that. In any case, the microcontroller temperature should not exceed 50°C, even on extremely high loads.

3. The Titan One have USB 2.0 Full Speed (12Mbps). The new device will have USB 2.0 High Speed (480 Mbps). There is no need for USB 3.0 in this field.

4. Correct.

5. The protocol have a fixed format and all data needs to be send, otherwise it does not works.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby iceman1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:14 pm

When do you anticipate the release of the new titan? Would love to try it out.
iceman1
Corporal
Corporal

Postby UK_Wildcats » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:09 pm

iceman1 wrote:When do you anticipate the release of the new titan? Would love to try it out.

This quarter of 2016.
UK_Wildcats
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Cat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:32 pm

Well damn I JUST bought one grr
Cat
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to Titan One Device