An honest review and a thank you to the ConsoleTuner Team

Titan One general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

An honest review and a thank you to the ConsoleTuner Team

Postby mjfame » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:30 pm

Good afternoon,

My name is Jim.. I am a 34-year-old gamer and a technology-enthusiast. I do not work for ConsoleTuner. I'm, simply, a satisfied customer, making an effort to show my gratitude and, perhaps, help others, in the process.

-------

I purchased the Titan One device (September, 2015) so that I would be able to use an Xbox One controller with my PS4 console.

I would like to take this opportunity to type-up a summary of my experiences as a T1 user, over the last 4 months in order to, possibly, help other newcomers and, maybe, even long-time users of the device. I am, in no way, bashing the T1. Quite the opposite, in-fact. I would, absolutely, recommend the T1 to anyone interested in purchasing the device, however, I believe that, due to so many variables, it is easy to relate poor-performance to the T1 even though that probably isn't the case, at all. This should help to clarify a few gray areas -for others.

Your set-ups, experiences and mileage may vary ;)

-------

Out-of-the-box: First-time setup was, fairly, simple to comprehend.
Updated firmware and Gtuner software then I was up-and-running in less-than 5 minutes.

I had been running a standard XB1 controller (that was about 1year old and had suffered the wear and tear from gaming with it 6-8hrs per day) with a makeshift cable (usb 2.0 to usb 2.0 port) to connect the controller to my PC in order to use the Gtuner plugin w/MaxAim plugin as the middle-man between controller and console.

*** I should also mention that I use a BenQ 24inch Gaming Monitor with 1ms Gray-to-Gray response time.
Display latency has been tested and rated at sub 1-frame (@60fps) with an avg of 10.2ms
(using these settings :: Instant mode [ON] and AMA [HIGH])
Source > http://www.displaylag.com/benq-rl2455hm-professional-gaming-monitor-review/
Great budget gaming monitor for under $200 that performs like a premium product..
Feels responsive -similar to on an old CRT Monitor!

Panel used for this was the same one that was used in official MLG FPS and RTS tournaments during the 2011-2012 season.(Asus was, also, used for fighting games, such as, Street Fighter, i Believe) ***

-------

At first, everything felt out-of-whack, to me, given the fact that I was no longer using a PS4 controller. i messed around with settings on-and-off for several days and, eventually, dialed in a few settings that had gotten my controller communicating with my console well, enough, as to not hinder my gaming performance. It wasn't perfect but it was a step in the right direction.

The more that I experimented with the device, through PC and direct-connected without PC, the more I, had, learned about it. For example, the controller, always, seemed to sync better (from a latency standpoint) when direct connected to the device, without using Gtuner/ MaxAim. I figured the reasoning behind this was due to the fact that PS4 uses USB 3.0 ports and I was middle-manning on a PC with USB 2.0 ports.

I installed a $15 2-port USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card to my PC. I, had, also elevated the process priority of Gtuner and the svchost that is responsible for 'Human Interface Device access'. This made controls feel much snappier than they, had previously, felt -to me..

I, thoroughly, tested different combinations of speed-up settings in order to determine which would work the best, with my setup. I, only, use In-Frame in -> Enabled with standard XB1 controller. in-Frame IN, on its own, seems to capture the inputs from my standard XB1 controller as accurately as possible.

*1ms response seems nice, in theory, and it probably is nice for kb/mouse capturing and/or wireless bluetooth controllers but, in my case, it seemed to do more harm than good when gaming via usb cable (at least with an xb1 controller). It was almost 'too sensitive' and jerky. at times. It, honestly, seemed like it was fine, at first, but would, eventually, overload the USB buffers -causing instability. Whatever the reason, I feel that 1ms response doesn't get along with analog controls as well as it does with digital and/or pointing device controls.

**Also, Xbox controllers, in general, don't handle analog inputs, below 20%, very well (especially used controllers).
-So, it isn't a bad idea to set the deadzone to '20" so that MaxAim, simply, ignores all analog inputs below 21%.

Now, this poses another problem, Due to the nature of the PS4 controller analog sticks, many PS4 games utilize, much, smaller deadzones (as low as 12, from my testing).

You'll, typically, have better analog performance using an xb1 controller with deadzones set no lower than 20 but you'll lose a bit of fine-aim adjustment when playing a game, such as, Black Ops III -which utilizes a deadzone setting of 12.

What you could do is emulate PS4 controller 1:1 by generating a small GPC-script that would make 21% of pressure from the xbox controller's analog tell gtuner/maxaim to send 13% of pressure to the console.

Example: [credit to J2Kbr]
Code: Select all
main {
    deadzone(PS4_RX, PS4_RY, -8, -8);
}

This would match up the 20% deadzone of the XB1 controller to the 12% deadzone of the ps4 version of BO3
(keep in mind that 100% of XB1 pressure would only translate to 92% ps4 output, however.
To compensate, You could, simply, raise your in-game sensitivity, slightly.
You may even convert the formula, above, into a sensitivity curve that would make 21% xbox input register 13% ps4 output, but, while allowing for the full 100% to be utilized (but I find this to be unnecessary -unless you are playing at the games max-sensitivity).

##### If using MaxAim It is also recommended that you open up your device manager and make your best effort to "Zero-Out' both of the analogs sticks on the controller that will remain connected to the T! for Authentication, purposes. If you pull the analogs straight up so that they are touching the underside of the controller shell they will remain at zero, once you position them, properly.. You may also hot-glue the sticks at 'Zero' , if you don't need the controller for anything other than, for, authentication. This should, essentially, prevent any analog interference from the 'dummy' controller.

It is, extremely, important that when playing on a console that uses a multi-PCB-style controller (DualShock 4, for example) that the ribbon-cables, that connect the boards together, remain connected or, else, you will, most-likely, experience, significant, signal-interference. #####

-------

There was, however another issue that had been plaguing me. It was the fact that after gaming for an hr or longer, my controls would begin to feel sloppy and out-of-sync by enough of a delay to hinder my gaming performance.

I had, wrongfully, assumed that the T1 was to blame -for the following reasons :

#1: my PC was built by myself and it is more than capable of handling the forwarding tasks.
#2: The latency after an hr or so would also happen when controller had been connected directly to the T1, without PC.

As a precaution, I would refrain from using GPC scripting because I had, also, felt that this was a, major, contributing factor. Any extra processing / decoding / scripts running though a Virtual Machine , etc. will add traces of latency so this made sense, in my head.

I figured that the degrade in performance might have been due to a temperature-spike within internal chip-set of the T1 coupled with the heat that the PS4 had been throwing off, around it.

I tried using a high-velocity fan to keep the device cool but this didn't solve the issue.

I had been taken notice that, throughout various forums around the internet, there had been multiple complaints in regards to the XB1 controller becoming 'laggy' after being used for a period of time -Most, of which, were completely unrelated to the T1..
Complaints from regular PC gamers (Steam, Origin etc.. NO T1 users)..
Perhaps this was an Xinput driver issue?
Perhaps the Directinput / Xinput relation within Windows was to blame?
Honestly, I haven't figured it out but it gets better :)

-------

Fast forward to the Monday after Christmas.

***** I received my brand-new Xbox One Elite controller in the mail and let me just tell you that it is amazing. Above and beyond the original, by a long-shot! Handles Deadzone setting of 12 (rather than 20), beautifully!
I have used it for about 50hrs, since receiving it, and the controls haven't gotten sloppy (laggy) over time. Not once!

My XB1 Elite Controller + T1 + Gtuner + MaxAim + any script that I can throw at it to the PS4 :
are running, immaculately, for entire gaming sessions!

***** 1ms response setting works fine with this version of the XB1 controller but I wouldn't recommend using it unless you're routing your inputs via USB 3.0 and your computer is able to maintain 900+ updates per second. *****

I would say that the best setting for a standard Xbox One Controller via MaxAim is to set "InFrame In" to Enabled.
(all other speedup settings disabled)
*XB1 Elite controller keep all speedup settings disabled (use 1ms Response -if your computer is able to allow MaxAim to maintain 900+ updates/sec)

-------

Basically, the point is that there will always be people out there, like me, who will run into issues with devices and setups, similar to mine. Think of the Titan One sort of like a Swiss Army Knife for your gaming console.. It can handle, just, about anything but it will, most-likely, require some trial & error, at the user-level, to really dial it in.. If you haven't gotten the device to perform the way that you would like it to, you should not hesitate to search the ConsoleTuner support forums and/or ask for assistance. There are plenty of, friendly, community members who would be, more-than, willing to help you troubleshoot your issue(s) until your situation is resolved.

"The T1 IS A PHENOM! 'nuff said" :joia:

I would like to, personally, extend my gratitude to the entire ConsoleTuner family for all of their work and efforts. :smile0202:

-Jim

[My T1 in action : Playing PS4 with an XB1 Elite controller via 'PC+MaxAim DI' method : Thank you ConsoleTuner]

At the very least, these videos and screens should reassure potential T1 buyers that ConsoleTuner produces quality merchandise.

*PS*

if you would like to be able to use the Xbox Guide button through Windows, I use this program. I have it defaulted to the '2' key (non-numeric) but you may change it to anything by opening and modifying the value of the .ini file (using notepad).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/me9dbhbhkm14424/Xbox_Guide_Button_Mapper.rar
(Posted download link contains the exact files that I have been using -taken directly from my PC- Uploaded by me.)
(Virus-Free / Malware-Free).

Basically, set the value of the .ini and save it.
Then just load this tiny .exe before opening gtuner (it will open a command prompt and minimize).
Make sure that you have the PS-Home button mapped to, whichever key you set the .ini to.
To get MaxAim to catch the input you need to use, what I've dubbed, as, the "Beetlejuice method"
(because it always takes 3 attempts to catch the guide-button input, lol.)

1. Start the "Xbox Guide Button Mapper" and leave it running

2. Open Gtuner

3. Start MaxAim plugin -> enter capture mode -> *Wait 3 seconds* -> exit capture mode close Maxaim plugin.

4. Start MaxAim plugin -> enter capture mode -> *Wait 3 seconds* -> exit capture mode close Maxaim plugin.

5. Start MaxAim plugin -> enter capture mode -> press 'Guide button' on controller -> SUCCESS!

Not sure why it takes 3 tries but it, always, works flawlessly, afterward.

Perhaps the maxAim devs could check out the code and incorporate this into a future MaxAim update.

**Finally : If using controller via MaxAim DI : Calibrate your controller every time that you plug it into your PC (seriously).

In Windows : Navigate to :
-Devices and Printers -> Right click "Controller" -> Game Controller Settings -> Properties -> 'Settings' tab -> click 'Calibrate' -> click "Next' to begin calibrating your controller.

+++PROPER CONTROLLER CALIBRATION Tutorial+++

''D-Pad' = Left analog stick (within the calibration wizard)

---Leave both analog sticks centered (without touching them) and press any of the face buttons, once.

---When instructed to 'Press all of the D-Pad's corners' :
Swirl Left analog stick around 8 to 10 times and then press a button during the swirling motion
(I always use counter-clockwise swirl because it seems to register the lower right corner better)

---Leave both analog sticks centered (without touching them) and press any of the face buttons, once.

---Fully engage LEFT TRIGGER (L2) - release ... fully engage RIGHT TRIGGER (R2) - release.
---Press any of the face buttons, once

---Move RIGHT ANALOG stick to RIGHT edge (hold it there for 1 second) move RIGHT ANALOG stick to LEFT edge (hold it there for 1 second) then release so that the stick slingshots back to center, on its own.
------Press any of the face buttons, once

---Move RIGHT ANALOG stick to LOWER edge (hold it there for 1 second) move RIGHT ANALOG stick to UPPER edge (hold it there for 1 second) then release so that the stick slingshots back to center, on its own.
------Press any of the face buttons, once

---Click 'FINISH' then navigate back to the "TEST' tab and click 'APPLY'
Last edited by mjfame on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:21 am, edited 45 times in total.
Kolibri King | https://tinyurl.com/BF1KK

I take pride in the fact that I achieved this the honorable way. With an unmodded official XB1 controller.. Without the help of any other foreign device. Grind, well, spent.

mjfame
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: An honest review and a thank you to the ConsoleTuner Tea

Postby J2Kbr » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:28 am

Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with the Titan One. In special, I want thank you for your interest in learn and understand the how Titan One works. I certainly enjoyed reading your review. :joia: :joia:

--

For the Xbox Guide button, 360 controller, there is an third-party driver that can be used in place of the original MS driver tpo enable the guide button:
http://archive.jonnys-place.com/index.p ... 495.0.html

In any case will accept your suggestion to take a look on the Xbox Guide Button Mapper. :)
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby mjfame » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:41 pm

J2Kbr wrote:Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with the Titan One. In special, I want thank you for your interest in learn and understand the how Titan One works. I certainly enjoyed reading your review. :joia: :joia:

--

For the Xbox Guide button, 360 controller, there is an third-party driver that can be used in place of the original MS driver tpo enable the guide button:
http://archive.jonnys-place.com/index.p ... 495.0.html

In any case will accept your suggestion to take a look on the Xbox Guide Button Mapper. :)

Thank you for your kind words :innocent_smile_1:

There have been multiple reports of issues related to that driver. I'll test it out but I have a feeling that I'll be reverting back to the Official M$ driver, afterward.

Either way, J2Kbr, you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for the link :joia:
Last edited by mjfame on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I take pride in the fact that I achieved this the honorable way. With an unmodded official XB1 controller.. Without the help of any other foreign device. Grind, well, spent.

mjfame
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby mjfame » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:36 am

this needs to be 'stickied' :)

mjfame
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby AKHUGHES90 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:51 am

mjfame wrote:this needs to be 'stickied' :)

Done.
"We always start with completing the difficult. It just takes us a little longer to do the impossible."
Console Tuner Support Team®
AKHUGHES90
Major
Major

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:03 pm

AKHUGHES90 wrote:

Done.
:joia: :joia:
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby mjfame » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:12 am

AKHUGHES90 wrote:

Done.

:smile0202: Thanks, I can't stand when people, who don't understand how to properly use the T1, assume that the device is garbage (and spread false info). I use the T1/MaxAim combo every day and it definitely DOES NOT HINDER MY GAMING PERFORMANCE.

Hopefully this will, at the very least, offer a bit of clarification for new T1 owners.

:joia:

PS. I have learned lots about the T1 since making the purchase but I'm not an expert, by any means. Feel free to edit and add, helpful, information within the OP for the benefit of other ConsoleTuners. You have my blessing :innocent_smile_1:

-Jim

mjfame
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby kenneth » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:49 pm

so i was reading on this and im wondering i have a XB1 scuf controller, what settings should i use? inframe in. inframe out or 1ms?
kenneth
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby J2Kbr » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 pm

You can enable all 3 with the xb1 controller, including scuf.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby kenneth » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:03 pm

i mean is there a advantage when having these 3 enabled?

then somebody that's doesn't have one?

somebody that doesn't have a titan one? sorry i ment to put that the first time
kenneth

Next

Return to Titan One Device