Ps4 ext hdd usb hub....is there a work around

Any discussion that is not related to other forums goes here.

Ps4 ext hdd usb hub....is there a work around

Postby tomtay79 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:19 pm

I have tried 2 hubs , the one that clips onto the front of the ps4 slim and a powered usb3 4xhub to try and get my ext hdd going with no luck. I jumped onto the PS forum and was told there's no work around for this as the drive requires direct contact to the ps4. I wasn't happy with this answer so called sony, turns out it's true.

My question is why isn't this possible? Surely someone could make a hub to trick the hdd and ps4 into thinking it's directly connected, right?

Could someone confirm there's no work around, or if they know a hub that does allow this.

Cheers
tomtay79
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Ps4 ext hdd usb hub....is there a work around

Postby Prototype » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:50 pm

There is no workaround possible the hdd must be plugged directly into the PS4, it is how works the PS4 operating system. Why do you want absolutely to plug the hdd in the hub?
Console tuner since my 1st controller.
Scripting, a game in the game.
Believe or dare, It's Titanic! :smile0517:
Prototype
Major General
Major General

Postby J2Kbr » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:11 pm

tomtay79 wrote:My question is why isn't this possible? Surely someone could make a hub to trick the hdd and ps4 into thinking it's directly connected, right?

This is not possible. The host must know where there is a hub on the USB bus, otherwise the hub would not works as hub, being just a regular device.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby b00st_g0d » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:50 pm

I ran into this frustration as well due to the amount of devices I have that require USB. Ultimately I ended up ditching the 2/4TB external drive and swapping my 500GB SSD for a 2TB SSHD. Not one bit of difference was discernible in performance of the ps4. This left me with both USBs one for the Astros and one for the Titan Two.
b00st_g0d
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Postby antithesis » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:11 pm

I'm going the same route b00stg0d. I get audio and video stutter when playing games from an external HDD on PS4.
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby b00st_g0d » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:58 am

antithesis wrote:I'm going the same route b00stg0d. I get audio and video stutter when playing games from an external HDD on PS4.

yes! I thought I was the only one lol. If you are switching from ssd do NOT think twice it will not ruin your performance at all to go with a sshd hybrid just get a quality drive.
b00st_g0d
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Postby tomtay79 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:14 pm

I've been moving to and fro, it's quicker to move the game onto the ps4 hdd from the ext hdd than installing fresh, it's a pain but will probably go down the same road and replace the 500gb.
tomtay79
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby antithesis » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Same here - I've been juggling games on and off the internal SSD just to make them playable.

I'm glad to see others are having similar problems, I've been on PS4 forums where my complaint has been dismissed as "I don't get the problem, you bought a bad HDD".

I deliberately bought the same HDD that was used for the Eurogamer External Storage benchmarks to avoid hardware issues.

This is very definitely a PS4 system issue and it's not getting fixed any time soon, so it's best to go with an internal drive.
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Naoki95957 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Sorry to dig up something dusty and aged at this point, but has anyone tried a docking station with a sata port? I've seen them before and a quick browse pulls up this that might be a solution:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0787ZWQNF/

I don't know for sure, but I think the problem is ps4 not exploring the bus for drives and/or not having us mount a drive. I know some people have success interfacing from usb to sata with an enclosure or cable and sometimes it's just best to stick with the chip provided in those external drives. But hucking it and trying one of these might be interesting. I think that because the usb won't have any layering it might read the external drive but also give you the hub.

By layering I mean if it were connected to a hub it would read: (ps4)usb-> (hub)usb-> (external card)usb-> (drive)sata. However idk if the cards above may separate the hosting in the same way or if they managed to get a USB host to also display a drive. When the ps4 says directly that means (ps4)usb-> (external card)usb-> (drive)sata/flash etc. If you're desperate to get a hub with your external drive I'd be interested to know if this works. I have had my Playstation reject a drive when it was simply usb to sata but it might be the slow af 5400rpm that makes it think it's not 3.0 so it's hard to know what works. Honestly though, my only concern is the amount of current you'll have left to run with.
Naoki95957
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Return to Off Topic Discussion