Titan Two mobile app - prototype

Gtuner IV general support. Operation, questions, updates, feature request.

Titan Two mobile app - prototype

Postby pablosscripts » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:23 pm

I want to be really clear: this is NOT official. This is just me prototyping ideas. Feedback welcome.

https://pr.to/5OHUVK/

To see where the interactive hotspots are, just click anywhere on the prototype and they will be revealed.

If you download the Proto.io app (free) you can actually test this on your mobile as if it were real. It's optimised for the iPhone 8 screen size.

Further thoughts:

1) I simply used screenshots of the existing app in this prototype, but in the real one you'd probably want to simplify it even more and remove some of the detail - for example, when browsing, you don't need to know how many files a gamepack contains. There is simply not enough screen real estate for stuff like this. Similarly, the link to the doc page could be hidden in a drill down etc.

2) There are many elements that need to be adapted to touch, for example you wouldn't need a refresh button like you do on a desktop app, you'd probably use a "drag down to refresh" control instead.

3) Icons and general aesthetics should probably be updated to more closely align to mobile rather than desktop.

4) I have intentionally not provided users with access to advanced settings, such as bluetooth pairing, changing LED brightness etc. This is for two reasons, firstly these are not actions you perform on a regular basis, so why clutter the app with it. You tend to set them once and never update them again. Secondly, this app should be focused on simplicity. The desktop app is already overwhelmingly complex for the average user, so the mobile app shouldn't attempt to reproduce the same experience. The desktop app should be about production, while the mobile app should be about consumption.

5) An app badge would be a really cool way to notify users that a script update is available.

6) Bonus - click on "Browse", scroll down and then click on the "Doc" button. Refresh the page to get out of this.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Titan Two mobile app - prototype

Postby J2Kbr » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:53 pm

Very nice, it is awesome see and play with something that I was only imaging in my mind. :joia: :joia:

What you did is, if not exactly, very close to what I am planning for the app.

I would put the Online Resources (Browse) at the most left position, followed by Memory Slots. Then another page for device information such as connected controllers, ability to turn off wireless controllers and few device configurations like changing the output protocol and pair wireless controllers.

The Interactive Configuration interface would be opened from the Memory Slot page.

And that is all, this is exactly what our app will be, simple and intended for the most common tasks. :smile0517:
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:32 pm

J2Kbr wrote:Very nice, it is awesome see and play with something that I was only imaging in my mind. :joia: :joia:

What you did is, if not exactly, very close to what I am planning for the app.

I would put the Online Resources (Browse) at the most left position, followed by Memory Slots. Then another page for device information such as connected controllers, ability to turn off wireless controllers and few device configurations like changing the output protocol and pair wireless controllers.

The Interactive Configuration interface would be opened from the Memory Slot page.

And that is all, this is exactly what our app will be, simple and intended for the most common tasks. :smile0517:

Awesome:) I think the position of the tabs is less important, I think what's important is what the default is. In my opinion the two most prominent tasks are:

1) Switching profiles and seeing what the current profile is. This is the 90% use case. IMO this should be the default selection is when you first open the app. Browsing for scripts is something you do from time to time, but in terms of actually using this app on a day to day basis, the most common activity is going to be changing slots or seeing which script you have loaded (sometimes when you're regularly switching in and out scripts it's easy to lose track of which one is in which slot).

2) A close second, would be on the fly Interactive Configurator changes.

3) Searching for new scripts. Think about your phone - you spend more time using your apps than searching for new ones. I think the same would apply to this app, which is why "browse" is the #3 priority.

4) Settings (e.g. changing output protocol). This is likely a "set once and forget" for 90% of people, so I'd argue this stuff doesn't need to be quickly accessible. It could be buried deep in a settings page and I don't think anyone would have an issue with this.

Also as you can see in the prototype, you can access the Interactive Configurator via the slots page just as you have in mind, but it also has a dedicated tab which would show you the IC for the current loaded script. As I said, I think this is the #2 most used function so I don't think it should be buried away. Even though you are only saving the user one extra click, one extra click can make a big difference if it's one of the most commonly used functions.

In summary - IMO it should always be 0 clicks to view slots, 1 click max to navigate to the currently loaded script's IC.

Just my $0.02c!

(EDIT: I added a label to the top of the "Configure" page to make it clearer that it's the currently loaded slot)

Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:09 am

Thank you for sharing your ideas and thoughts.

Another possible solution for the tab positioning is remember the last opened tab on the next time the App is launched.

Understood you point of having a "main" Configure tab, this means the configuration of a script/gamepack requires the corresponding memory slot to be loaded and running, differently from Gtuner IV where the configurations can be done without the actual memory slot be loaded. I agree with that, as it would make the process more simplified and intuitive.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:34 am

Yup it's all about focus. The desktop app's focus is on content creation - it's about power, flexibility, the ability to do almost everything. You have 100% control. It's daunting, it's complex, it's all encompassing and aimed at the advanced user.

The mobile's app's focus should be on speed and ease of use. It's simple, targets the 90% use cases and ignores the 10%, and focuses on minimal button clicks to achieve what you want. I think if you simply recreate the same experience on mobile then it misses the point and all you end up with is the "same" tool but on a smaller screen.

In summary:

Desktop app: content creation
Mobile app: content consumption

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby antithesis » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 am

I'm really looking forward to the mobile app, how I develop scripts will largely be determined by the UI.

Nice mock-ups piiwii!
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pablosscripts » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 am

antithesis wrote:I'm really looking forward to the mobile app, how I develop scripts will largely be determined by the UI.

Nice mock-ups piiwii!

Thanks! I just noticed it looks horribly low res on most monitors. I made it on a Surface Pro where it looks sharp but meh on anything else. Damn this laptop is nothing but trouble on most fronts.

Oh well, it gets the concept across which is the main point.

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby pablosscripts » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:31 am

Just wondering if there's a rough ETA on this? I think a lot of people are very excited to see it:)

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby J2Kbr » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:32 pm

I estimate around 2 months to release the first version.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby pablosscripts » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:15 am

Awesome!

You do such a good job keeping QT framework up to date, I was thinking it would kind of be a waste not to really take advantage of it:)

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Next

Return to Gtuner IV Support