Titan Two mobile app - prototype

Gtuner IV general support. Operation, questions, updates, feature request.

Re: Titan Two mobile app - prototype

Postby Naoki95957 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 am

My assumption as that this would be done over bluetooth or over usb? Maybe even a wifi dongle?

I have been playing a lot with rpis recently, making a magic mirror, vpn, nas, plex, etc. and if one of these versatile machines can edit the titan, there can be access to it literally anywhere I have a signal.

A wifi dongle on it's own is a far cry because the titan would have to host it's own server and bluetooth is limited in range, but both can be taken advantage of with a mobile device where it is only a means of communication w/out the need to take it to a pc/mac. In the scenario where com's is only done via bt or wifi, I'm assuming the phone will probably do the compiling and transfer of bytecode.

Linux support however would allow something like a vnc to work with a pi zero w. With linux support I can program the titan on the other side of the world only off usb power for $10 and a micro sd. I'd love to see some sort of wireless mobile-friendly option soon.
Naoki95957
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby pablosscripts » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 am

It would be over BT using the official BT kit.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

My R6 script: https://youtu.be/x-9NtxyySVM
pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Naoki95957 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm not sure what the road map is for app development. (if you willing to work through its qwerks:) Xamarin froms would be a pretty solid option for near-native experience and recycling of 97% of the code between platforms. I did some exploring with Xamarin, Unity, Unreal, Cocos, and the native options in the past.

Xamarin is never impossible but is still being developed, making support pretty limited. It is growing however, so there might be some luck if there is a snag. This comes with an XML editor and viewer to do things very quickly.

Unity and Unreal have tons of support, but are oriented around games. Not to say that their 2D development wouldn't ease this. These would be great options especially concerning any IAP, ads, or cloud usage. It's much easier using a game engine when they have all the support to do these.

Cocos is in cpp and cross platform, but is much like unity/unreal but with less support and higher optimization. There are few to no UI's for development.

Swift and Java are always great ways to go but require 2 projects.
Naoki95957
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby pablosscripts » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:32 am

It’s going to be QT.
Setup: XIM Apex, T2, K780 keyboard, G Pro Wireless mouse, SteelSeries 4HD pad, DXRacer armrest, LucidSound LS30 headset, Netduma router, Ubiquiti UniFi AP LR

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Naoki95957 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:03 am

Sounds promising and interesting. Hope there's no hiccups with Apple's inspection when it comes time to it. To whoever or what team is making the app; I'm sure setting up a public beta within the forums wouldn't be a bad idea. Coordinating apples flight test will probably need a sign up page, but an android beta should be easy and issues ideally should reflect equally on both platforms with qt - I assume. That being said, if this will be working over BT, will the pc/mac gtuner soon communicate over BT as well? I'm just not a fan of micro usb and want to use it as little as possible.

As per the demo,
I really like being able to go into the forums from the app. I think it probably deserves a category in browse tab however I don't know if having that to begin with was intentional or not. I got to it from the docs of a script.
I think it would boost the interactions here and have more people asking and answering questions about the product and the scripts. So maybe even it's own tab.

Not to take things this far buuuuut, maybe integrate it more closely with the website too so that you can handle private messages, forum posts, and a slight overview of your profile. I think if we had an app that not only did the basics of GTuner but also this website, it would greatly help users in general be more active.
Naoki95957
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:37 pm

That’s just overkill I think.

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Naoki95957 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Overkill is generally what separates good from great. Like making a demo vs just waiting for it ;). I don't vision some instant message of the sort, but this website isn't mobile friendly and an app would be an excellent segway for people who don't get on the computer that much. I personally feel that more people use apps for browsing than browsers now anyway. Ie Amazon, eBay, etc etc. Anything that remotely feels like shopping for a product.

Tackling the biggest issue that the Titan 2 has from complaints that I've seen many reviews and people rate it poorly, was due to "requiring knowledge of programming" etc. Having a gtuner app like this would eliminate this response greatly and will probably encourage users into looking into how to make scripts. I wouldn't want to change anything from what is modeled, only add on to it. On a side note, I due honestly feel like there should be a usb option to communicate because an otg is a lot cheaper than the propriety BT module, but the ladder would be a good marketing move if people go for the BT open handedly. $80-100 is already a lot to pay for, but I think that with convinces of an app and such this will be accepted a lot more.

Talking to some past users of the Titan 1 they had a similar experience. They bought it due to great features and flexibility, but the convenience ultimately eliminated their use of it.
Naoki95957
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby pablosscripts » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:56 pm

I'm not talking about BT connections via computer. This is not favoured for other reasons.

I'm referring to your comment about deep integration into the forum and help etc. That's what I'm calling overkill. I think it's core and only function should be about loading scripts and configuring settings via the IC. Anything else detracts from the focus of what it should do.

pablosscripts
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby Naoki95957 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:09 am

Let me start out by saying this,

I really appreciate the potential and framework put around this unit and want to see more. I want to use the Titan more. I really think the idea of an app to accompany the unit is a fantastic step in the right direction and the demo seems very ideal.

However,
I think we skipped beats or lost track of what's going on. I'm aware that you see that any form of communicative handling past documentation is useless. And to boil things down since conversation doesn't seem to be of importance, this is what no character, no conversation, and boiled input conglomerate into since this turned into a shootout instead of a post board of ideas or feedback:

A. Having a mobile app would greatly help the Titan products in the one area they are criticized the most: convenience
- having read many reviews before purchasing one myself I was a skeptic
Having talked to past owners and their mention of lack of using them made me 2nd guess the purchase

B. The device in configuration with this app asks that the communications kit be alongside it.
- in the same sense that the module was not included with the $80-$100 price of the device for cost:
Having compatibility from an otg cable or other means would be favorable to those who don't want to pay that much
Adversely, this can be leveraged against consumers to buy the module for convenience over other competitors or options.

C. Having somewhere to go* or get input on may be useful for the number of people new or clueless to the device.
- this would help the types that:
Don't read manuals
Don't program
Seek potential
Value interaction

*on a mobile platform due to the nature of the project

I'm not sure if this is a team effort, or if this is a solo effort. Anyone who's worked in a software team should know how stubborn programmers are and I have nothing against that; I expect it. What I am saying is that ideas need not to be accepted. Nothing here should adopted or is a golden find; I didn't do anything ingenious. This is just ideas thrown on a table, sorta like what I thought this thread was going to be. This was feedback and ideas. Even if what I say doesn't even remotely come close to consideration, it would be a shame to dismiss further ideas because proclivity of disengaging comments shys off someone else in this small community. I appreciate the extra 5 sentences of response you gave me this time. Having something more engaging to say might adversely spark other conversations and ideas. None of this should be as critical as it should have been informative.
Naoki95957
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby bonefisher » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:22 am

I would always be open to new idea's to make something better and I'm sure J2Kbr will do so. I agree this app should have tabs making things easier and help people out understanding how things work. Also if someone downloads the app maybe a selling point for the Titan 2 to suck in more buyers of the product. I know J2Kbr is real busy and for now getting the app up and running to do things like script loading is great but I would still make room for future tabs for info and other things wanted on this at a later time...…. :smile0517:
bonefisher
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PreviousNext

Return to Gtuner IV Support