Request: iOS 13 titan two support

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Re: Request: iOS 13 titan two support

Postby J2Kbr » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:56 am

Capt moore wrote:When the titan set to output ps4 Bluetooth mode, does it work by giving the VID:PID info of the Sony controller, despite an Xbox/apex/generic controller being connected?

Correct, the inputs from all connected controller are converted to the PS4 Bluetooth format.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Capt moore » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:04 pm

J2Kbr wrote:
Capt moore wrote:When the titan set to output ps4 Bluetooth mode, does it work by giving the VID:PID info of the Sony controller, despite an Xbox/apex/generic controller being connected?

Correct, the inputs from all connected controller are converted to the PS4 Bluetooth format.

This is why I think an Xbox one Bluetooth output setting (from the titan two) would be useful for the upcoming iOS controller support.

The game controller api ios app uses would misidentify an Xbox controller (using the titan two) as an ps4 one (if only the ps4 Bluetooth output is available), giving the wrong on screen button prompts. (The controller would still work, but it would be confusing to have an iOS app display holding an circle button rather than the a button.)

An Xbox one controller Bluetooth output option for the titan two would resolve this issue, and allow better matching between various controllers button labels and Apple devices. A user could simply pick ps4 controls if their particular controller more closely resembles that button scheme, or the Xbox one Bluetooth output if the labels on there controller more closely resembles that system.

I think once iOS 13 is released, you are going to see a ton of demand from mobile fortnight iOS/iPad players who wish for not only gamepacks, but also keyboard/mouse controls translators for that game.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Capt moore » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:20 am

Ok, now iOS/iPadOS 13 has been released, and both ps4/xbox one (v2, with bluetooth) controllers work natively.

I tried to see if I could set the output of the titan two to ps4 bluetooth protocol, and connect, but I wasn't able to see the titan two in the bluetooth menu, unless gtuner air was running and connected.

I did attempt to pair the titan two using gtuner mac menu, but it still didn't appear in the bluetooth menu.

I did connect it via the gtuner air app, and it shows in the bluetooth menu, but it isn't recognized as a ps4 controller.

Is there work being done behind the scenes to figure out how to get the gtuner to connect as an xbox/ps4 controller, which would allow us to use both macros & PC flightsticks on iPadOS 13/ios 13?
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Capt moore » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:39 am

Ok, I managed to figure out how to get a wired connection working with iPadOS 13 & the Titan Two.

Set the Titan two to Playstation 4 Bluetooth mode. Playstation 4 USB/Xbox One USB modes will not work. Auto mode will also not work.

Plug in a usb cable from the Titan two output to the iPad. (In my case I have a 10.5 iPad Pro, so I have the USB 3 camera kit with a power cable attached, to convert from lighting to a USB jack to make the connection.)

The titan appears to be recognized as a wired controller, despite the bluetooth Playstation 4 mode begin required. The connection to the controller works with the iPad's bluetooth turned off, so I am positive it is actually transmitting the data via the wires rather than over bluetooth.

So far, I have tested the titan two wired to the iPad:
1. Wired xbox 360 controller,
2. Xbox one controller,
3. Thrustmaster HOTAS ONE (switched to HD/PC mode)

So far, everything worked as expected. (The HOTAS Flightsticks will require extensive remapping for each app, due to not having a gamepad sticks/button layout.)

One nice thing is a ps4 controller in not required, just setting the output protocol to bluetooth Playstation 4 was enough on it's own.

P.S. I think Xbox one controllers will only work wirelessly with iPadOS/Ios, (unless a Titan Two is used to fake the Playstation 4 controller output protocol.) I couldn't get a wired only connection to work at all between the Xbox One controller and the iPad.

I am not sure why the PS4 USB protocol also didn't work. Is there a technical difference between the usb output and bluetooth output on a real PS4 controller? (Other than wired vs wirelessly.)

Hopefully, some firmware updates will allow the following:

1. Connect the Titan via bluetooth vs the current wired only.

2. Allow bluetooth connections to connect with both the xbox one or ps4 bluetooth protocol. Apple's guidelines include developers being told to adapt the on screen displays prompts depending on if the contorller is MFI/Xbox One/or PS4. Apple has a specific function developers can use to find out the type of controller in use as well, per the WWDC controller briefing.

Being able for us users to match the controller in use with the proper output protocol will keep any in app button prompts to be easier to understand. If the controller has ABXY, but the game gives prompts as circle/square/triangle/x, it could be confusing.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Capt moore » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:15 am

I found one more huge dealbreaker for using the titan two with iPadOS 13. I was testing the titan two and iPad at night, and had the volume off while I was trying various things out, so it hid this game breaking issue.

When the Titan two is connected to the iPad, it reroutes the audio as if it was a usb audio device, killing all the sound from out the iPad's speakers. Right now, when I plug in the titan two, it routes all the sound to "Wireless Controller". There is no button or other way to reroute it back to the speakers. The best that can be done is to reroute the audio to AirPods or other bluetooth/airplay hardware.

This absolutely needs to get fixed for the titan two to be useable with iOS/iPadOS.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:34 pm

I already added to my todo list add support for Bluetooth connection with iOS 13 (mostly likely using the PS4 protocol).

Related with audio. I assume this also happens when plugging the controller directly to the phone (without the Titan Two). I would expect the iOS to have a setting to select where the sound should be played (on the phone or controller headset).
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Capt moore » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:36 am

J2Kbr wrote:I already added to my todo list add support for Bluetooth connection with iOS 13 (mostly likely using the PS4 protocol).

Related with audio. I assume this also happens when plugging the controller directly to the phone (without the Titan Two). I would expect the iOS to have a setting to select where the sound should be played (on the phone or controller headset).

No, when I use my Xbox one controller (via Bluetooth direct connection), the audio stays with the iPad speakers. The headphone port on the Xbox one controller is not functional using iPadOS/iOS 13.

The only options are the usb headset, or a Bluetooth/airplay audio output.

Normally, it would not be a problem if the titan Two just was a standard headset. Plug it in when needed, unplug when not needed. The problem is right now the titan two is acting like two devices, both as a controller (good) and also as a headset (bad). When iOS sees a usb headset, it automatically stops using the iPad’s native audio output, iOS does not allow you to override it.
(The only option is “wireless controller”, or Bluetooth/airplay devices.

I tested and could not get the Xbox one controller to work In any manor via a direct cable connection. It appears to only work wirelessly.

I don’t have a ps4 controller to check, but I can’t imagine that PS4 controllers would work differently.
Capt moore
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby DontAtMe » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:18 am

Capt moore wrote:No, when I use my Xbox one controller (via Bluetooth direct connection), the audio stays with the iPad speakers. The headphone port on the Xbox one controller is not functional using iPadOS/iOS 13.
Audio passthru is not supported on the Xbox One Controller via bluetooth.

https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-on- ... windows-10
    Notes
  • - Bluetooth requires a PC running the latest update.
  • - For best performance, update your controller. See Update your Xbox One controller.
  • - Bluetooth is supported on PCs, tablets, laptops, and Samsung Gear VR.
  • - Bluetooth does not support any attachments, such as headsets, chatpads, or the Xbox Stereo Headset Adapter.
  • - It’s recommended that you have only one wireless controller connected via Bluetooth to your Windows 10 device. Connecting more than one controller with Bluetooth may be possible, but performance can vary depending on your device.
DontAtMe
Captain
Captain

Postby SpecialEffect » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:46 am

If this helps the thread, I've been able to get a T2 in PS4 Output protocol connecting with no bluetooth enabled, so long as a PS4 controller is attached.

https://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2019/09/wireless-xac-to-ps4-using-titan-two.html

This also swallows the audio. I have to connect headphones or speakers to the PS4 controller socket to get sound. I've asked Apple for a fix for this, but if it can be done T2 side too, that would be fantastic.
SpecialEffect
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby J2Kbr » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:18 am

SpecialEffect wrote:If this helps the thread, I've been able to get a T2 in PS4 Output protocol connecting with no bluetooth enabled, so long as a PS4 controller is attached.

https://switchgaming.blogspot.com/2019/09/wireless-xac-to-ps4-using-titan-two.html

This also swallows the audio. I have to connect headphones or speakers to the PS4 controller socket to get sound. I've asked Apple for a fix for this, but if it can be done T2 side too, that would be fantastic.

:smile0517:
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Previous

Return to Titan Two Device