Light gun crossover gaming possible with Titan?

Titan One general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Light gun crossover gaming possible with Titan?

Postby Zebra » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 pm

Do any of the console or PC light guns work with the Titan?

The light gun genre has been overlooked by every other controller crossover adapter maker. I was wondering if anyone here has had any success using a Titan to use a PC Act Labs gun or a PS2 Guncon 2 on a PS3? Or maybe used one to play PC games with a Guncon 3 etc?

There is a bunch of great light gun games on the PS3 but almost every one is ruined by forcing the use of the PS3 Move or a joypad. The Guncon 3 is great but it only works with 3 games... As most light guns are recognized as analog joysticks (like a Guncon 2) or as a regular mouse (like Act Labs guns) and most console light gun games allow you to play with an analog joypad, it should be a fairly simple problem to solve... and yet... nobody has...

If the Titan works with any of the quality light guns, it will make a lot of people on the Arcade controls forums very happy. I can't find any mention of them in any of the info on supported devices though. I can't be the only hopeful light gun fanatic out there ...
Zebra
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Light gun crossover gaming possible with Titan?

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:28 am

After quick research it seems the Guncon 3 can be used with the Titan Two device (assuming it is HID compliant). This controller reports a (X,Y) position representing where it is pointing on the TV Screen. The Titan Two can convert this absolute position to the controller aiming analog stick, so the gun could be used on games that has no support for it. This would work similarly as how the IR from Wiimote is used to play on consoles like PS3 and PS4.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby antithesis » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:31 am

I bought a Guncon 3 with Time Crisis 4 on PS3. I totally forgot about it, now I'm gonna have to pull it out and see it if we can get it work ;)
Official Australian retailer for Titan One, Titan Two and XIM APEX at Mod Squad
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:46 pm

antithesis wrote:I bought a Guncon 3 with Time Crisis 4 on PS3. I totally forgot about it, now I'm gonna have to pull it out and see it if we can get it work ;)

:smile0517:
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Zebra » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:16 pm

J2Kbr wrote:After quick research it seems the Guncon 3 can be used with the Titan Two device (assuming it is HID compliant). This controller reports a (X,Y) position representing where it is pointing on the TV Screen. The Titan Two can convert this absolute position to the controller aiming analog stick, so the gun could be used on games that has no support for it. This would work similarly as how the IR from Wiimote is used to play on consoles like PS3 and PS4.

The Guncon 3 is not HID compliant (if HID compliant means Windows recognizes it as an HID controller). Windows can not recognize a Guncon 3 without custom drivers (which don't currently exist). One guy apparently had limited success writing custom GC3 drivers for Linux but nothing really viable to actually use.

The Guncon 3 is a non-standard PS3 controller. It only works once the custom drivers on the Time Crisis 4 or Razing Storm discs are loaded. The PS3 console describes it as an "unknown USB device" when you connect it. It does not work with regular PS3 to PC adapters. It's USB traffic is encrypted.

In my experience most (or all) consoles have close to zero compatibility with PC HID controllers natively. I have been looking for years (without any luck) for an adapter that allows PC HID controllers to work on anything except a PC. I was hoping the Titan devices could capture the encrypted gobbledygook from the GC3 or an HID controller and map it to output in standard PS3 or Wii protocol.

Using my UHID and Apac on a PS3, Wii, PS2 and Dreamcast is my primary goal. The Guncon 3 is more for other people as I use Sega arcade IR guns (via a UHID). It would be nice to know if the "any controller on any console" claim stands up before I spend another $100 though....
Zebra
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:43 am

Thank you Zebra for the clarifications.

@antithesis: when you have chance, please capture the USB descriptors of your Guncon 3 and post here, so we can check its compatibility with the Titan Two device. Thanks.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby antithesis » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:50 am

Zebra wrote: It would be nice to know if the "any controller on any console" claim stands up before I spend another $100 though....

Note that the marketing text states "virtually any" rather than "any"...no-one can make that claim.

J2Kbr wrote:Thank you Zebra for the clarifications.
@antithesis: when you have chance, please capture the USB descriptors of your Guncon 3 and post here, so we can check its compatibility with the Titan Two device. Thanks.

Will do it on the weekend J2K :)
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby antithesis » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 am

[USB DESCRIPTOR]
12 01 10 01 09 00 00 08 12 0C 01 88 01 00 00 00 00 01 09 02 19 00 01 01 00 A0 32 09 04 00 00 01 09 00 00 00 07 05 81 03 01 00 FF
antithesis
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Zebra » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 am

I think some of the work of capturing Guncon 3 USB traffic has been done by this guy for his Linux driver project:

https://www.beardypig.com/2016/01/06/guncon3/

He's made all of his work available for download.

I tried using my Sega Type 2 arcade IR guns (via a UHID) on the PS3 using the MaxAim plugin. The plugin recognizes the Uhid as an analog controller and let me map the controls to the PS3 left analog thumb-stick. The problem is that the Titan One (and I assume Titan 2) has no option to select absolute positioning instead of relative for either mouse or analog controls. This makes it impossible to aim or play properly.

Any gun compatibility on any system will be useless unless an option is added to change analog and mouse controls from relative to absolute. You also won't be able to use any of the PC guns that output like a mouse for first person shooters or light gun games on consoles. A lot of PC users like to use their Aimtraks, Act Labs guns or EMS Topgun 3's to aim in FPS games instead of a regular mouse. It would have been nice to do the same on consoles via MaxAim.

The only other option for PS3 FPS and light gun games would be to add the ability to choose the PS Move as an output protocol instead of the Six Axis controller. The PS Move is already set up to work in absolute mode.

I couldn't find any reference to absolute VS relative controllers on any of the Titan documentation or this site. It's odd because this is massively important to any aiming / pointing device and all touchscreens etc.
Zebra
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:24 pm

Thank you antithesis for the USB descriptors and Zebra for the link (very interesting and lot useful information).
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Next

Return to Titan One Device