Wireless Support for Xbox One Controllers

Titan Two general support. Questions, firmware update, feature request.

Re: Wireless Support for Xbox One Controllers

Postby f00lio » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:03 am

Sillyasskid wrote:
f00lio wrote:Any help would be appreciated.

have you tried using an external power supply on the titan 2?, if not i suggest getting an external power supply, as I've heard the wireless dongle seems to use quite a bit a power. This, could likely be the cause of the disconnects.

I had not as everything I read from J2Kbr in the past stated that it was only necessary when using wireless in and out simultaneously. I hadn't seen a reference to the Xbox adapter changing that, but if I missed it please let me know. I should also add that it has only gotten this bad recently. Previously the disconnects were much more random. Nothing has changed save the recent fw.

EDIT: I also don't have one handy to try, unfortunately.
f00lio
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby Sillyasskid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:31 am

Yes when using the Bluetooth module, for handling both in and out protocols, the power supply is necessary because the host "PORT_USB_C" changes to "PORT_BT_C". and then PORT_USB_C, just becomes an optional input.
Since all inputs rely on the host for power, I'm sure you can see why A power supply is needed in this case.

The wireless dongle is a High Speed USB device, The Bluetooth module is a low powered rev, which means its not as power hungry as the wireless dongle.

I cant remember what post J2Kbr replied in, mentioning that the wireless dongle was High Speed USB device, if you happen to stumble across it, I know somewhere in that same thread, he raises some concerns on the wireless dongle specifically about the power draw, and maybe a potential need for a power supply.

Don't quote me on all of this though, as I just briefly remember reading that thread.

I'm sure you can send a PM to J2Kbr and get some confirmation or clarification, on this matter, though.
Sillyasskid
Captain
Captain

Postby J2Kbr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:03 pm

A relevant information with the Xbox One controller wifi was brought recently by The_Rabid_Taco:
The_Rabid_Taco wrote:The other issue I have is that WiFi Direct connection constantly fails. Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X with five different controllers. The disconnects have nothing to do with the Titan Two, as it disconnects even when just paired with the console itself.
ConsoleTuner Support Team
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby f00lio » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm

J2Kbr wrote:A relevant information with the Xbox One controller wifi was brought recently by The_Rabid_Taco:
The_Rabid_Taco wrote:The other issue I have is that WiFi Direct connection constantly fails. Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X with five different controllers. The disconnects have nothing to do with the Titan Two, as it disconnects even when just paired with the console itself.

I believe that is an unrelated problem with the xbox consoles themselves as I also saw references to that when I was researching this issue on reddit. Also, I'm connecting to a PS4 and the same Elite controller and wireless adapter work 100% without drops when they're used on a computer. The problem I'm having is only when used with the T2 and has only gotten this bad in the past week.

Is what Sillyasskid remembered reading (above) regarding power draw a possible problem? I know you made some changes with regards to power in 0.98B-10. Could that be related to the uptick in this issue?
f00lio
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Postby The_Rabid_Taco » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:53 am

Could be, depends on what is causing the disconnects. I did find that I had a USB that was under-powered compared to other ones. The issue I raised though was on a good USB. Heck, the controller(s) will disconnect even when paired over the WiFi Direct straight to the Xbox. I've had this issue within six feet, on all Xbox One systems. However, if the power does flux, not quite low enough to power off the Titan Two, but enough that it can mess with the WiFi Direct Adapter. The issues with the Xbox One are strange though, at some point the controller stays lit, but the Xbox One doesn't respond even saying that the controller is disconnected. Then other times the controller will blink and requires a full repairing. Again, this is even without the Titan Two. Thought it was one Xbox, but it's happened on my S, X, and original Xbox One in several different rooms with five different controllers. With three consoles and five controllers there is an apparent issue on Xbox side as well.
The_Rabid_Taco
Major
Major

Postby boonduckie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:01 pm

f00lio wrote:
Beak wrote:Has anyone else had random disconnects when using the Adapter? Two or three times now, the wireless adapter and the controller kind of disconnect from each other. The only way I can fix it is by unplugging the adapter from the T2, plugging it back in, then pair the controller back to the adapter. (using Elite Controller on Xbox One)

I'm not sure if you ever found a fix for this, but I was having random disconnects in the past that were resolved with unplugging/replugging the wireless adapter as well. Unfortunately, it has gotten much worse and now my Elite controller will not stay connected to the T2 via wireless adapter for more than 1 minute (usually much less).

I have done the following and it has made no difference:

- Plug wireless adapter directly into USB-A while also using only the very short cord that came with the T2 to connect it to the PS4.
- Fresh batteries
- using a DS4 on USB-B so that it wasn't reliant on the rsa key for auth (I am not having auth issues anyway, but figured it was worth a shot)

I should note that the Elite will stay connected to the wireless adapter indefinitely when I hook it up to my computer. It only disconnects while connected to the T2. I am on the latest firmware.

The only other thing I could try at this point is a new adapter/controller, but given that they don't have any issues while connected to PC I don't think either is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

I've been having the same issue lately as well. I can no longer use the wireless adapter with the Titan Two since some (not sure which one, unfortunately) firmware update. It disconnects a lot... and if I unplug and plug the adapter back in it will connect but have really bad lag spikes. It workes great at the beginning.

I thought my adapter was going bad, although it isn't nearly as bad on the PC, so I bought the new Xbox wireless adapter hoping that once support is added, it will fix the issue.

Thanks for any help!
boonduckie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby boonduckie » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:23 pm

P.S. I tried plugging in an ac adapter, however I was getting a lot of latency and stuck buttons, so I had to go back to wired for now.
boonduckie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 pm

this is very intriguing, the power supply shouldn't cause any latency at all.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby boonduckie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:36 pm

I don't think the power adapter is causing the latency. Latency usually starts to happen after I unplug the Xbox wireless adapter from the Titan Two and plug it back in to try and get the disconnects to stop. With the power adapter I didn't get a disconnect but still got the latency. So it may have helped, but I didn't do long enough of a test because the latency/stuck buttons made it unusable, unfortunately.
boonduckie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby J2Kbr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 am

thanks for confirming. I will be revisiting the Xbox Wireless Adapter support soon.
J2Kbr
General of the Army
General of the Army

PreviousNext

Return to Titan Two Device